Winter Storm 2009

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Looks like Oklahoma and Arkansas are going to get hit with an ice storm. We're getting some of it up here, but not as bad as our friends south of us. Several roads are closed here d/t road conditions and numerous accidents. Lots of closings tomorrow. The shopping malls even closed around here!

Even if I could get to work tomorrow, most of our patients will likely cancel.

So, how's everyone else doing? (This is the check-in thread. Where's that little "worry" smilie?)

Y'all OK out there?

Malls? Where you live? What's wrong with this picture?
Looks like Oklahoma and Arkansas are going to get hit with an ice storm. We're getting some of it up here, but not as bad as our friends south of us. Several roads are closed here d/t road conditions and numerous accidents. Lots of closings tomorrow. The shopping malls even closed around here!

Even if I could get to work tomorrow, most of our patients will likely cancel.

So, how's everyone else doing? (This is the check-in thread. Where's that little "worry" smilie?)

Y'all OK out there?

Nothing in central Iowa but a few flurries.

Let me know if the tree damage get's out of hand. My willingness and availability to climb ice covered trees with chainsaws has increased since the economy has forced me to punch a clock for an embarrassingly small amount per hour.

Matt

:D Wayne, when you live in the boonies, a mall 35 miles away seems close. :smilewinkgrin:

Even the corner store can be many miles away when the nearest corner is in the next county.

Here's hoping you don't suffer any more storm damage from this one. On the plus side in Arkansas I'd expect that (unlike around here) all the ice will melt in a few days this time of year.

We're being told it will hit N. Texas tomorrow evening.

We're under an ice/freezing rain warning in northern Mid-TN for tonight into tomorrow morning. Forecast is calling for 0.1-0.25" of ice accumulation by morning.

All y'all be safe!

Kevin, you just be keeping that stuff in middle Tennessee. We don't need any of that here in eastern Tennessee.:nono:
Ron

Kevin, you just be keeping that stuff in middle Tennessee. We don't need any of that here in eastern Tennessee.:nono:
Ron

As you know, Ron, what hits here will hit y'all a few hours later. :smilewinkgrin: They have upped the ice accumulation to 1/2 inch b4 turning to rain tomorrow afternoon. :yikes: The last bad ice storm we had was in '93 or '94. Bad, bad, bad.

Here in NC we know about ice storms and dislike intensely everything we know about 'em. :mad:

Had one a few years ago, left most of the state without power for days... :(

It's covering a very wide area...

ll_12_0_cl_new.gif

Good luck down there, folks. Let us know if you need anything.

And finally, WI is getting spared. The snow has even slacked off, I think we're holding steady at around 56 inches. I can once again look at the snowblower without wanting to :vomit:

We are currently encased in ice but the wx just changed to rain, and heavy rain at that. Folks on the other side of our town are without power (20 miles NW of Nashville).
Looks like I'll make it into work after all. :frown3:

Y'all stay safe.

And Kent, thanks!

North Central PA is doing just fine now. I can get up my driveway without using the winch, which is a significant improvement over a few weeks ago.

Y'all take care of yourselves.

You folks down South can keep it, for a change.

Up here in Iowa we're only supposed to get an inch or so of light fluffy snow. Temperature outside is 5 ABOVE zero, so we're having a heat wave!

It's funny -- for the first ten years I lived in Iowa, I couldn't do any cross-country skiing cuz we never had enough consistent snow cover. Now, these last two years have more than made up for that, with solid, deep snow from Thanksgiving until...last year, late April. The big pile of snow across from our hotel (dubbed "Mt. Baldy") didn't completely melt until June 16th last year.

Winter is evil. Spring can't get here fast enough!

Freeze line just N of DFW at 0700. We'll get freezing rain for the whole day. Ceiling and vis are ranging from 300-1100 and 3 miles. IFR across the N TX area. Stay home!

Talking heads on the TeeVee are all atwitter about what might happen. I drove in to work, wet roads, nothing more.

I already know who's going to call in and tell me they can't get to work because the roads are "icy."

Forecast for New Castle, Delaware
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?setpref=DETFCT&value=0

Updated: 3:18 am EST on January 27, 2009

Winter Storm Warning in effect until noon EST Wednesday...

chancesnow.gif

Today
Snow this morning then occasional light snow or flurries this afternoon. Snow accumulation around an inch. Highs around 30. North winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 90 percent.

nt_snow.gif
Tonight
Snow redeveloping in the evening...then mixing with and changing to freezing rain and sleet well after midnight. Total snow accumulation of 3 to 4 inches. Lows in the upper 20s. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

rain.gif
Wednesday
Freezing rain and sleet changing to rain during the morning. Highs in the upper 30s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

nt_rain.gif
Wednesday Night
Rain in the evening...then partly cloudy after midnight. Lows in the upper 20s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain near 100 percent.

Not much yet here central Ohio, although the system seems just a tad south of us. This is more like what winter is supposed to be!

Finally, like Kent, we're north of this. I wish you guys well. Stay safe! And Spike, after a couple of times when it literally took me six (6) hours to drive the 40 miles to or from work (that's a one-way time), I've learned to work from home if there's a good chance of bad/dangerous weather. Forward the office phone to my cell and remote control my desktop. Works wonders, and fewer distractions, to boot! Of course, that's not possible for all positions. :(

Forecast for New Castle, Delaware

Updated: 3:18 am EST on January 27, 2009

Winter Storm Warning in effect until noon EST Wednesday...

chancesnow.gif

Today
Snow this morning then occasional light snow or flurries this afternoon. Snow accumulation around an inch. Highs around 30. North winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 90 percent.

nt_snow.gif
Tonight
Snow redeveloping in the evening...then mixing with and changing to freezing rain and sleet well after midnight. Total snow accumulation of 3 to 4 inches. Lows in the upper 20s. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

rain.gif
Wednesday
Freezing rain and sleet changing to rain during the morning. Highs in the upper 30s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

nt_rain.gif
Wednesday Night
Rain in the evening...then partly cloudy after midnight. Lows in the upper 20s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain near 100 percent.

GREAT FLYING WEATHER!! Heck, my plane is FIKI. No problem at all.

:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

Either tomorrow or Thursday we're driving up to Milwaukee and then to Darlington, WI, and back home. Hope the roads are OK by then.

DC area getting snow (2-4 inches), with up to 0.25 inches of ice tonight.

Wonder if my day-trip to LAX via commercial airline will take place tomorrow. 8 AM departure....

Either tomorrow or Thursday we're driving up to Milwaukee and then to Darlington, WI, and back home. Hope the roads are OK by then.
You've got our cell numbers if you want to stop by on your way up!

GREAT FLYING WEATHER!! Heck, my plane is FIKI. No problem at all.

:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

Mine, too! Plus mine has a spare engine so you never have to worry about engine failures. Besides, those icing warnings have a lot of error in them. Freezing rain can't be THAT bad. And who are they to tell me I can't fly my plane? The nerve! :rofl:

Hmm, how many hazardous attitudes can we demonstrate in one post... ;)

We received a nice layer of ice and snow last night. School's canceled today!

You folks down South can keep it, for a change.

Up here in Iowa we're only supposed to get an inch or so of light fluffy snow. Temperature outside is 5 ABOVE zero, so we're having a heat wave!

You know the terrible thing - It's too cold here for freezing rain! :yikes:

You've got our cell numbers if you want to stop by on your way up!
Thanks Grant! I put your cell # into my new iPhone. :) Plans are to leave tomorrow for the funeral services on Thursday afternoon. We're probably going to make this a fast trip since it's hard to leave the farm when the weather is like it is.

One of our instructors just made a flight from Austin up to Lampasas (KLZZ). Here are the temperatures he encountered descending into LZZ:

6,000: +11C
4,000: +02C
3,000: -02C

KLZZ Surface: +1

Can you say... "Non-standard Lapse Rate"?

We received a nice layer of ice and snow last night. School's canceled today!

Y'all are wimps down there! When we had freezing rain all night causing my entire property to become a solid sheet of ice (including the driveway, and the roads I have to drive to get to work) we elicited manly grunts, stating how this was justification for our 12 mpg SUVs and pickups, engaged the 4x4, and were on our way.

(actually, I only engage the 4x4 to get up my driveway since otherwise I'm just spinning my wheels, after that I leave it in 4x2... but I still get 12 mpg)

You know the terrible thing - It's too cold here for freezing rain! :yikes:

I'll take snow over freezing rain any day, including the lower temperatures that go with it. Better for flying in, better for driving in. Only real downside is cold starts and warm-up periods.

Talking heads on the TeeVee are all atwitter about what might happen. I drove in to work, wet roads, nothing more.

I already know who's going to call in and tell me they can't get to work because the roads are "icy."

I was working in Nashville when the staff went home because snow was merely forecasted, although I'll admit the ice storm was a baddie and I was lucky to get a seat on the only (SWA) jet leaving.

Here's a report from Chip in Arkansas.....he is still without power and the tree limbs are cracking like gunshot all around him. They've been hit really hard down there.

no school because of ice and freezing rain?? wimps! they had class up here last week when the wind chill was 40 below!

no school because of ice and freezing rain?? wimps! they had class up here last week when the wind chill was 40 below!
It's the lack of supply and equipment to care for the roads. Austin airport probably couldn't deice more than a half dozen planes if they had to.

Woke up to white this morning, but if it was an eighth of an inch I'd be surprised. Drive in to work was a piece of cake. As predicted, it has turned to rain (if that) and has all melted away. Typical PNW snow removal equipment. :D You all can have that freezing rain stuff. I've experienced it and it's no fun.

Now, where's some of that global warming they keep talking about?

Back