Winter IFR with Boots

airheadpenguin

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
airheadpenguin
I'm looking at a '63 (CAR-3) B-55 Baron with boots and alcohol props/winshield because I live in New England and it would be nice to be able to at least pop through the clouds in winter and go places or have an extra margin of protection to get higher and colder in the clouds if ice started to accumulate

Is that at all a reasonable expectation for this kind of equipment?

I think the extra reserve power will be more useful than the boots, practically speaking, but I'll leave it to the twin pilots in the forum to give a more authoritative response.

In general terms, you can't/shouldn't fly any piston plane in SLD icing (freezing rain or freezing drizzle, typically ahead of a warm front) with or without boots, so they won't help improve your dispatch rate there.

In VMC, you don't need boots regardless (unless there's that freezing precip falling from above, then, again, you won't want to fly even with boots).

If there's mid-level scattered-to-broken stratocumulus, which is typically 2–4,000 ft thick and can contain SSD (light to moderate rime), you might feel more confident with boots, even though often there won't be enough accumulation to matter. The alternative, for those of us without FIKI, is to just accept a bit of light rime for a few minutes passing through, or look for a hole to climb above into the clear (you don't want to do this if you're going to end up between layers, because the gap can close up on you).

If you fly around in the lee of the Great Lakes much and need to overfly lake-effect weather (e.g. around KART or KSYR) — which typically tops out around 7,000 to 8,000 ft, and contains moderate to severe icing with clear skies above — you'll have the extra security of knowing that if you're forced to descend into it (you wouldn't go in on purpose in a piston plane, even with FIKI), you will be able to handle the ice a lot better on your way down to the emergency landing with the boots. Maybe that would be the biggest benefit.

Pretty wishy-washy, I know, but that's what I have to offer, as a pilot without FIKI experience, but with 17½ years IFR experience around ice in the Ontario/Quebec/New England region. The best winter IFR safety feature, with or without boots, is probably a credit card and a hotel-booking app on your phone.

Last edited:
Yes reasonable. But remember, ice is a bit unpredictable. doesn't matter what equipment you have. the main thing in any light airplane, (and some big ones) is to get out of it as fast as you can. I have been overwhelmed with ice in heavy jets. So I believe the smart answer is, avoid it. If you get caught in it, get out of it, as soon as you can. Thinking boots and props will save you, it won't. Just allow you more time and options.

I'm looking at a '63 (CAR-3) B-55 Baron with boots and alcohol props/winshield because I live in New England and it would be nice to be able to at least pop through the clouds in winter and go places or have an extra margin of protection to get higher and colder in the clouds if ice started to accumulate

Is that at all a reasonable expectation for this kind of equipment?

You likely can't launch into known ice with that airplane. Check the prohibitions section of the POH.

Its actually vaguer than that the POH from '78 says "Ice protection equipment which may be installed on this airplane has not been demonstrated to meet requirements for flight into known icing conditions"

I get that if you have to argue it you're going to lose with the FAA.

If you want reliable dispatch into known icing, follow these four easy steps:
  1. Get lots of money
  2. Buy a plane with two or more turbine engines attached
  3. Base your plane at a large airport with a 24/7 deicing facility
  4. Line up and pay $2,000–5,000 to have your plane deiced whenever there's subzero precip on its surfaces or falling from the sky
Piece of cake, really. The airlines do it hundreds of times/day.

Its actually vaguer than that the POH from '78 says "Ice protection equipment which may be installed on this airplane has not been demonstrated to meet requirements for flight into known icing conditions"

So this '63 Baron was fitted with the boots and alcohol windshield/props in 1978, and that's what the POH supplement states?

I have this vague recollection that Cessna did something similar with some models. I think it was the 414. Some had alcohol windshields and were not FIKI approved and the FIKI 414s had an expensive electric heated windshield, iirc.

You likely can't launch into known ice with that airplane. Check the prohibitions section of the POH.
Known icing certification didn’t come about until 1972, I think...so the same airplane built before that date will have an entirely different statement in the POH than one built later. I don’t think Beech actually certified Barons for known icing until 1984.

Is that in the limitations section? If not in the limitations section, it has zero force of law. If in the limitations, then it is still not likely to support a bust. However, 91.13 can always support a bust if you break the plane or otherwise come to the attention of the FAA.

The FAA has no Part 91 prohibition against flying in the ice. They have come at it through the back door by using the certification standards. They created the standard for known icing certification in the mid-'70's and then required the manufacturer to either certify the plane to that standard or put a limitation in the AFM. Certain aircraft were grandfathered for a spell.

My guess would be that the '63 B-55 did not have that language from the factory, but it was added when the boots were installed.

the FIKI 414s had an expensive electric heated windshield, iirc.

Last I checked to the tune of 30K for the electric one.

I think of FIKI equipment (on small planes) as a way out instead of a way through, with the possible exception of climbing through an icing layer up to a known clear area. I consider myself experienced in ice and try to avoid it. I do not fear ice but I do respect it.

I think that's the beauty of it, being able to get up through to areas of clear air that would have been much more problematic

Back