Winter Begins and Ornery Grows

Daleandee

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dale Andee
Perhaps it's just me (NO it isn't!) but it seems that now that winter has arrived (today being the 1st day) that folks are just not very happy with themselves.

It seems there has just been a whole lotta hatin' going on.

In the famous words of Rodney King, "Can't we all get along?"

:popcorn:

I haven't heard "Merry Effing Christmas!*&#" so maybe it hasn't gotten this far south yet?
The weather is about to get abysmal so that will help it along.

Last note: I think this might be a good time for to partake of rum and eggnog; I'm stocked up.

There are a couple of hang gliding forums similar to POA. Since a lot of HG sites aren't flyable in the winter, the number of arguments and the tone of those arguments got far worse in the winter. It seemed to die down as the snow melted and launch sites opened. Rigid wing vs flex wing and no one liked paragliders. Both sites are pretty quiet now as the number of pilots has been steadily declining.

Perhaps it's just me (NO it isn't!) but it seems that now that winter has arrived (today being the 1st day) that folks are just not very happy with themselves.

It seems there has just been a whole lotta hatin' going on.

In the famous words of Rodney King, "Can't we all get along?"

:popcorn:
I hate that everyone misquotes him.

Since a lot of HG sites aren't flyable in the winter, the number of arguments and the tone of those arguments got far worse in the winter.

Same on the motorcycle forums...

Many may not know but this condition is actually called "SAD" and it's a type of depression.
It's not just the lack of sunlight, which is what SAD is. It's that winter makes everything ten times harder, especially outdoors, and especially here in the frozen North. It's that the cold and the bouncing barometer makes arthritis way worse.

You southerners are about to feel it too. Big cold coming to about the eastern two-thirds of the lower 48.

Many may not know but this condition is actually called "SAD" and it's a type of depression. I just wonder how many of you are admitting to this on your medicals ... :D

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...fective-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20364651

I will admit - I hatred cold, winter, holiday season, darkness.. these are the things that drive me to want to drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes*. Not that warm weather and sunlight has ever stopped me.

*I don't actually smoke

I will have to admit, the winter I spent in the Alaska village formerly known as Barrow got to me. I mean the length of darkness during the day. I would go to bed at 8pm and get up at 6am just exhausted. It is not dark all day, there is a few hours of civil twilight but the sun doesn't break the horizon for several days.

The next official sunrise is 1:03 PM, Monday, January 23, 2023 (AKST) with the nest official sunset at 2:15 PM, Monday, January 23, 2023 (AKST)

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/@5880054?month=12&year=2022

I will have to admit, the winter I spent in the Alaska village formerly known as Barrow got to me. I mean the length of darkness during the day. I would go to bed at 8pm and get up at 6am just exhausted. It is not dark all day, there is a few hours of civil twilight but the sun doesn't break the horizon for several days.

The next official sunrise is 1:03 PM, Monday, January 23, 2023 (AKST) with the nest official sunset at 2:15 PM, Monday, January 23, 2023 (AKST)

Barrow is one of those locations I have set up in my weather app on the phone. I check it out when I start to get depressed. Then I feel better.

I thought it's been pretty mild here, unless someone is deleting posts.

I worked with a guy who had spent the winter there years ago. He said that everybody around turned out to witness the first sunrise of the year - and he climbed a tower to be the first to see it!
In case you wonder what the weather is like there at present, check this out: https://seaice.alaska.edu/gi/observatories/barrow_webcam/ Look at the "Last 24 Hours" video clip.

Dave

It’s a combination of cold weather and it being dark all the time when not at work. A few years ago at the start of covid my wife started sending me and my father on a “get out of the cold” vacation each winter. Our agreement is that I’m not allowed to complain about the cold in front of her for the rest of the winter after we return. It’s amazing what a week on a Caribbean beach away from the cold and dark winter will do to your mood.

It's still high 50s - low 60s here in Florida for another day so people aren't too bad as of yet. I went to Walmart to stock up on anything we need over the next 7 days until temps go back to the 60s next week. Over the next few days where temps aren't climbing out of the 30s, I'll just stay inside with the heater up to the max with short walks for the dog so he can relieve himself. He knows, my tolerance level towards his shenanigans are linear to the OAT so he'll be a good boy on these short walks lol.

A few years ago at the start of covid my wife started sending me and my father on a “get out of the cold” vacation each winter.

A week away anywhere without the wife would be a nice break! (Just kidding of course ... ) ;)

Been sub zero and blowing 30-40 for three days here. Days start getting longer tomorrow. Still about 2 months before the sun’s radiation makes an impact, but more light is a start.

Happy Solstice, Merry Christmas!

It's not just the lack of sunlight, which is what SAD is. It's that winter makes everything ten times harder, especially outdoors, and especially here in the frozen North. It's that the cold and the bouncing barometer makes arthritis way worse.

You southerners are about to feel it too. Big cold coming to about the eastern two-thirds of the lower 48.

Greetings from the Blizzard Warning in Minnesota! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greetings from the Blizzard Warning in Minnesota! Lol

I do not miss those one stinking bit. Or the weeks of below zero temps, or driving in the snow, or shoveling out the car in the morning to go to work. Or wearing twelve layers and still being cold. It's amazing how much nicer it feels when you don't spend half of your year feeling like the cold has settled into your insides!

I'm weird: When I lived in Boston, I actually liked shoveling snow.

Look at it this way, from this minute it is only 15,638,400 seconds until the start of summer

I'm weird: When I lived in Boston, I actually liked shoveling snow.

That is weird, sorta. I liked shoveling the first snow of the year. I did not like shoveling snow at 5am so I could go to work. I did not like shoveling snow for the fifth month in a row.

I had to dig out (dig in?) to get into my driveway three nights in a row after 12-14 hour work days…I bought the last snow blower in town, and never regretted it. ;)

Yup, definitely weird.

Yulp! I lived (if one could call it that) in Cleveland Ohio for a few years back when the Browns were the Cardiac Kids. Summer was wonderful if it came on a weekend. Too cold for a good old southern boy. Good place to be from ...

Back