WingX Plate Overlay?

In the past few months I’m not getting NEXRAD radar images. Or rather they show up very briefly then fade away quickly. Same iPad and Stratux unit for quite some time. The other FIS-B data shows up fine, just not the precipitation.

With the shelter and lack of places to go, I’m not sure when I’ll get to test it out again. Just upgraded iOS to 13.4 and the latest WingX.

In the past few months I’m not getting NEXRAD radar images. Or rather they show up very briefly then fade away quickly. Same iPad and Stratux unit for quite some time. The other FIS-B data shows up fine, just not the precipitation.

With the shelter and lack of places to go, I’m not sure when I’ll get to test it out again. Just upgraded iOS to 13.4 and the latest WingX.

I have been having the same issue with WingX (current version, up-to-date iPAD, using Dynon DRX). I am getting the text ADS-B Metars and TAF's but when I see any NEXRAD radar on the moving map at all, it appears initially to be is trying to draw in the area of precip, with partial rasters filled in, then they just fade out. I've talked to Dynon about this, but not Hilton Software...I've been sending them squawk description ever since they changed to Ver9 and I'm not impressed with the lack of responsiveness there. I guess they're moving on to bigger and better things.

I have been having the same issue with WingX (current version, up-to-date iPAD, using Dynon DRX). I am getting the text ADS-B Metars and TAF's but when I see any NEXRAD radar on the moving map at all, it appears initially to be is trying to draw in the area of precip, with partial rasters filled in, then they just fade out. I've talked to Dynon about this, but not Hilton Software...I've been sending them squawk description ever since they changed to Ver9 and I'm not impressed with the lack of responsiveness there. I guess they're moving on to bigger and better things.

Please call Hilton Software. They need to know. The tech I spoke with said they didn't have anything on it. No other reports. So don't let them tell you that without correcting them, as I've reported it.

Wayne

Last edited:
Please call Hilton Software. They need to know. The tech I spoke with said they didn't have anything on it. No other reports. So don't let them tell you that without correcting them, as I've reported it.

Wayne
I did call them just now and reported the issue. My last flight was with Ver 9.1.2.1 and I just updated to 9.1.3.3 today. The support guy IMPLIED that there were bugs fixed in the latest version that may cover this, but he asked me to contact them the next time i flew with weather close enough that I'm sure the FAA isn't suppressing it, since I haven't been flying high enough to get distant weather.

I've sent them numerous emails in the past describing issues with Ver 9. I think this is the first time I've ever had them actually answer the phone.

Brent

Thanks. I was going to fly tomorrow, but the Angel Flight mission got cancelled. I need to so the same to get the FIS-B data.

I thought it funny that he wanted a screen capture. "Of what? It's not displaying the data." It would be hard to capture the momentary display of rain. Good thing the new-to-me plane has XM weather data.

Wayne

I've sent them numerous emails in the past describing issues with Ver 9. I think this is the first time I've ever had them actually answer the phone.

Brent

I only email them and always get a response in hours.

Does this fix the NEXRAD images disappearing quickly? The bug that "no one" has heard of?

Wayne

No clue and no plane to verify at the moment

I just saw that Hilton had a fix that is supposed top include the fading NEXRAD overlay problem. I just updated to 9.1.4.1 and I am going to fly tomorrow or Monday and will try to check it out. I wonder if "App Stability" means the screen won't be redrawing every minute or so? That would be nice, too.

I just saw that Hilton had a fix that is supposed top include the fading NEXRAD overlay problem. I just updated to 9.1.4.1 and I am going to fly tomorrow or Monday and will try to check it out. I wonder if "App Stability" means the screen won't be redrawing every minute or so? That would be nice, too.

I'm planning on flying my daughter and her two dogs home tomorrow. Or it will be a long drive up there and back again. :eek: There is supposed to be some thunderstorms forming again tomorrow afternoon, so I'll see if the bug that support knows nothing about has been fixed.

I flew up and got them on Friday. Fortunately the plane I'm flying now has XM and ATC was great about updates and vectors.

I'm planning on flying my daughter and her two dogs home tomorrow. Or it will be a long drive up there and back again. :eek: There is supposed to be some thunderstorms forming again tomorrow afternoon, so I'll see if the bug that support knows nothing about has been fixed.

I flew up and got them on Friday. Fortunately the plane I'm flying now has XM and ATC was great about updates and vectors.

Whoops, sorry hit the wrong button. I flew today with WingX 9.1.4.1 and the Nexrad overlay seems to be working now! I am in SE Virginia. I could see a small cell in eastern West Virginia. It did not fade out! There was a lot more weather in Florida, but I was either not high enough to be getting long range weather or I wasn't airborne long enough. However, I count that little cell one state away as a big step forward...to where we were last year with version 8 ;-)

Last edited:
Whoops, sorry hit the wrong button. I flew today with WingX 9.1.4.1 and the Nexrad overlay seems to be working now! I am in SE Virginia. I could see a small cell in eastern West Virginia. It did not fade out! There was a lot more weather in Florida, but I was either not high enough to be getting long range weather or I wasn't airborne long enough. However, I count that little cell one state away as a big step forward...to where were last year with version 8 ;-)

Curious what receiver you are using ? I have found my old SkyRadar unit a better weather performer than the 2 Stratux units I have used in the past.

Curious what receiver you are using ? I have found my old SkyRadar unit a better weather performer than the 2 Stratux units I have used in the past.

I originally had a SkyRadar with one band. After listening to the FAA and AOPA reps talking about how fleets were actually equipping for ADSB Out as opposed to the original expectation, having a dual band receiver seemed wise so I upgraded to a re-furbished dual band SkyRadar DX. Version 9 of WingX broke a lot of things and the SkyRadar DX seemed to be one of them. Hilton support flat out told me that the SkyRadars all used an earlier, incorrect version of some algorithm and that the Radenna folks had moved on to other frontiers and not to expect any updates to SkyRadars and that they were never going to compatible again. At that point I tried an open source Stratux but got tired of how finicky and fragile it was if you failed to shut it down properly. I am currently using a Dynon DRX. It boots from RAM or a chip, rather than from a fragile SD card. It does not tell WingX how many towers it is seeing, but other than that it seems to work fine. When WingX finally gets all the stuff they broke going to Ver 9 fixed, I may plug in the SkyRadar DX just for curiosity sake and see if it was the SkyRadar or WingX that was the culprit. The Dynon DRX is working fine but I had the SkyRadar DX sitting under the panel with remote antennas and it was a very clean semi permanent installation.

Last edited:
Same here. I used to have the one band SkyRadar and sold it a few years ago when I got a Stratux box as other partners were using Foreflight.

The NEXRAD images are working again. The only change was that update to WingX. I had to dodge cells again today. It was nice having both XM and FIS-B data and ATC was helpful again as well. I wasn't looking at data far away as I was busy watching the heavy to extreme precip that was in my route. It did seem that the images got worse at one point in the flight. I will need to pay more detailed attention to that. I was just happy to have them back.

NEXRAD was working fine last year in WingX then basically quit. It would briefly show the images and they would quickly fade away. I had been using the same Stratux box for years, and no recent updates to it. So, it wasn't a change in the Stratux box. To me it looked like an error in WingX the calculation of the age of the images; I manage IT teams and my earlier career was a software developer, so I have a bit of experience with software and bugs.

Same here. I used to have the one band SkyRadar and sold it a few years ago when I got a Stratux box as other partners were using Foreflight.

The NEXRAD images are working again. The only change was that update to WingX. I had to dodge cells again today. It was nice having both XM and FIS-B data and ATC was helpful again as well. I wasn't looking at data far away as I was busy watching the heavy to extreme precip that was in my route. It did seem that the images got worse at one point in the flight. I will need to pay more detailed attention to that. I was just happy to have them back.

Me too! Another feature I USED to like was their terrain display. It used to be much sharper and defined than it is now (at least on my Mini 4) and I use it in a split screen mode as a decluttered screen. It is nice to have a screen with only your course line, ownship symbol, traffic, and a few airports, without all the clutter of the Sectional behind it. Oh well, one can dream!

Last edited:
Minor update today

2CB1D11D-3658-4439-9944-A9D3C4F17F96.jpeg

Another minor updateIMG_0291.jpg

This was such a great app. Toe to toe and in many ways more innovative and arguably better than Foreflight when they were the only two out there jockeying for dominance in the aviation market. I was sad last month when I finally decided to uninstall it.

Fortunately, I understand Hilton has other irons in the fire.

Back