WingX Baron Weather...how delivered?

JohnWF

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John at Salida
a friend has an Ipad and WingX and says he gets weather (nexrad) via his gps, which is impossible of course. I asked WingX how they deliver Baron "Velocity" weather to an Ipad but got no response.

It appears to me that my friend is subscribing to XM weather since he says he got radar weather while sitting on the ground in a remote area awaiting weather to dissipate..no chance of wi-fi ...must be XM...no iphone used...

Any other way ?

a friend has an Ipad and WingX and says he gets weather (nexrad) via his gps, which is impossible of course. I asked WingX how they deliver Baron "Velocity" weather to an Ipad but got no response.

It appears to me that my friend is subscribing to XM weather since he says he got radar weather while sitting on the ground in a remote area awaiting weather to dissipate..no chance of wi-fi ...must be XM...no iphone used...

Any other way ?

Pretty sure mine update via wifi, and that rarely works airborne with Verizon mobile hotspot from a phone.

Does he have a cellular data plan active on his iPad? I do not.

Any other way ?

He's either got a cellular data connection or he's getting it via XM. Maybe he has a WxWorks box? http://www.baronservices.com/mobilelink

Edit: dunno why I didn't think of FIS-B. makes sense of he says he gets it from his GPS, since it's probably the same external device. Hard to get it on the ground in a remote area though.

Last edited:
WingX's Baron weather is delivered via internet only.

In flight WX is not from Baron, it is FIS-B delivered via his GPS/ADS-B puck just like everyone else (unless he can get an LTE signal in flight, which sometimes is possible).

Last edited:
Back