WingX 8 is out

Scrabo

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Scrabo
From the iTune store...

What's New in Version 8.0.0.0

A lot of V8 power in this significant update and a lot of new features and improvements - here are the highlights including a vastly-improved routing engine with easy editing even if you have fat fingers. This new routing engine with fully selectable DP, STAR, and IAP entry is the primary reason this release took a little more time than other releases:

Two more iPad firsts for WingX Pro7!
● Instrument Approach Chart routing
● WingX Pro7 for Pebble

● Instrument Approach Chart routing - an iPad first - select an approach and WingX Pro7 adds the fixes to your route
● DP, STAR, and IAP routing - add DPs, STARs, and even IAPs to your route - you select the transitions (at both ends).
● New routing engine required to handle DPs, STARs, IAPs, and Airways. WingX Pro7 displays the sections of the route in different colors; DPs are green (as in go), the route is magenta (as previously), the STARs are blue (as in high up, sky...), and the IAP route is red (as in caution).
● Display route by Summary, Turns Only, or All Points
● WingX Pro7 for Pebble - an iPad first - view your next waypoint and destination information such as ETE, ETA, DTK, NM on your watch! You can also set a timer (for fuel for example). Oh, one more thing, WingX Pro7 for Pebble will vibrate when you are 1000' above the destination elevation to remind you to run your checklist! How cool is that?!? Oh, you can even monitor your iPad/iPhone's battery level.
● User-Documents - display them in WingX Pro7's split screen (or full screen) - for example, a sectional on the left and the POH's checklist on the right
● Moving Map performance improvement - lots of new work 'under the hood'
● Remove Auto-N functionality in DUATS, now users enter the N-prefix or not as required
● New-look (much better for night), but we're keeping the same easy-to-use and sparse user-interface.
● Added "Split" button that alternates between full Route column, full A/FD Column, or 50/50 of each (as before).
● Fixed DUATS issue

Note: We have renamed the GeoRef Subscription to the Advanced IFR Subscription. It is just a name change that incorporates the new IAP routing. There is no price change and if you have a current WingX Pro7 georef subscription, you will automatically have a current Advanced IFR Subscription because it is the same thing, just a name change to be more applicable to its function.

I like it. The new color scheme is less busy. The split screen improvements give more control. While the interaction with watches (or is that "wearable devices"?) is neat, I'm not sure it'll make me buy a Pebble. Menu and view changes are nice. 'not sure how the user documents thing works, but I see where docs is now a view option.
**edit** user docs infrastructure is there, but not finished. Coming soon in maint. release

Last edited:
Very cool! Ability to add DP, STAR and IAP to the route is awesome.

Re: WingX Pro7 V8 is out

I like it. The new color scheme is less busy. The split screen improvements give more control. While the interaction with watches (or is that "wearable devices"?) is neat, I'm not sure it'll make me buy a Pebble. Menu and view changes are nice. 'not sure how the user documents thing works, but I see where docs is now a view option.
**edit** user docs infrastructure is there, but not finished. Coming soon in maint. release

Where did you see that about a maint release? Did I write that? :) We have no maint release planned at this time, we're working on the new stuff already.

User Docs are in V8 and working. Use iTunes to drop a checklist into your Documents folder - now you can have your Sectionals on the left and your POH's checklist on the right (or any other combination you'd like).

Having the IAP in your route is really cool - I love it, but it gets better. Your route takes you right to the runway, not to the airport center so the XTK is good all the way down. (boring obvious disclaimer: don't use this for primary navigation)

Enjoy!

Hilton

Last edited:
Hilton, I think it will be great to have terrain alert on wearable device.

I called your office to see how user docs thing worked. He said the feature wasn't quite done and would be finished shortly. I assumed maintenance release. He said the default docs should show up in the view1/2 docs screen too, but that was not working.

I called your office to see how user docs thing worked. He said the feature wasn't quite done and would be finished shortly. I assumed maintenance release. He said the default docs should show up in the view1/2 docs screen too, but that was not working.

Gonna have to fire him. ;)

An example of this should be on the WingX Pro7 page in the App Store shortly - working on these new images now.

Hilton

Funny you should mention that...

Hilton

Not sure what do you mean
No terrain alerts mentioned in the youtube overview linked by CT4ME or in the press release (unless I missed it).
From the press release:
WingX Pro7 for Pebble provides four types of vibration warnings to the pilot:
• The timer has expired – useful for timing fuel tank changes or instrument approaches
• When passing a fix in the route – to prevent pilots from missing a turn or a step-down
• Pre-selected altitude warning – helpful in preventing pilot deviations
• Upon descending below 1,000’ above field elevation – before-landing checklist reminder

Any love for Android? The Android version was last updated May 2, 2011. Either go all in, or not. Half a**ed applications leaves a bad taste.

Take Garmin, they are making progress on their Android app, but it's still behind their iOS counterpart..but they are still slowly making progress. Their last version was January 21, 2014.

User Docs are in V8 and working. Use iTunes to drop a checklist into your Documents folder

Hilton

So what do you do if WingX does not show up under the File Sharing/Apps ?

Latest iTunes version - iPad2 iOS 7.1

Last edited:

So what do you do if WingX does not show up under the File Sharing/Apps ?

Latest iTunes version - iPad2 iOS 7.1

Looks like the flag didn't make it into the App Store build. Fixed and will be in the next update which is planned to go to Apple this weekend.

Sorry about that.

Hilton

Are we talking iTunes on the Mac?

My iPad Mini Retina running 7.1 does not have iTunes - just "Music" and " iTunes Store", neither of which seem so support moving files into folders.

Or am I just confused? :dunno:

Are we talking iTunes on the Mac?

Yes. When you use iTunes on your desktop, and have your iDevice attached, you can use iTunes to import documents onto the iDevice.

FF has been taking advantage of this feature for a while now. Click here to see their support page on this.

Looks like the flag didn't make it into the App Store build. Fixed and will be in the next update which is planned to go to Apple this weekend.

Sorry about that.

Hilton

Thanks Hilton

Love the new version overall

I've always liked Wing X over FF. Granted Wing X was the first I flew with...

I've always liked Wing X over FF. Granted Wing X was the first I flew with...

I was the other way round, FF first then WingX - never looked back.

I was the other way round, FF first then WingX - never looked back.

Same for me. I started using an iPad before FF and WingX began the 30 day free trial. Once I was able to try WingX using the 30 day trial, I liked it better than Ff and changed over to WingX and let my FF subscription lapse. As usual, neat stuff in the new release. Thanks Hilton!

When I was deciding, the general consensus over on the Cirrus board was that Foreflight was marginally better for preflight planning and WingXPro7 was marginally better enroute.

Cannot comment one way or another, but WingXPro7 on my iPad Mini Retina works well for me for my VFR needs.

The phone version could use a few tweaks, which I've recommended twice to staff at shows. Mainly, when you bring up the "Route" on an iPhone you should be able to click on a waypoint for info just as you can on the iPad. It's frustrating to click on an airport in the route and have nothing happen.

Warning: After I upgraded I discovered that all my saved routes appear to have been deleted. :(

EDIT: Actually I can't seem to save routes at all. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Last edited:
Didn't have that issue myself, all routes and personal waypoints still there.

Didn't have that issue myself, all routes and personal waypoints still there.

What version of iOS are you running? Because I'm using my iPad 2 to test my company's SSL testing product (obviously Apple isn't a customer - yet - and their older SSL is definitely broken) I've kept my iPad 2 at 6.1.3. Not sure if that is the problem, though.

I updated to WingX 8 today and did not lose any save routes.
Everything seems to work!

Warning: After I upgraded I discovered that all my saved routes appear to have been deleted. :(

EDIT: Actually I can't seem to save routes at all. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Aha - the routes are "there" but for some reason WingX on my machine is displaying white space instead of the route names. The attached image shows what appears to be an empty list, but each of those rows contains one of my previously saved routes. If I click on one of the rows then the name of the route momentarily appears in the routes saved dialog and then loads.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 26
What version of iOS are you running? Because I'm using my iPad 2 to test my company's SSL testing product (obviously Apple isn't a customer - yet - and their older SSL is definitely broken) I've kept my iPad 2 at 6.1.3. Not sure if that is the problem, though.

7.1 on both iPad2 and iPhone5s - routes and waypoints still on both

I am not seeing any issue with my saved routes, but I have 'Next and Final' selected for my waypoint display option on the moving map screen but they are not being displayed.

I actually have the reverse, regardless of the waypoint option select, next and final are always displayed, both on iPad and IPhone

When I run the simulator the next and final waypoints appear. When I stop the simulator they are removed. I wonder if Hilton programed that display to be activated by movement now?

My gripe:

13166760684_f4a63f1335.jpg

I brought this up to see Branson after that plane landed at the long runway.

Logically, I should be able to click on it to get more info. I wanted "Show Above". But nothing happens.

Can anyone think of a reason why not? Hilton? On the iPad it works as I think it should, bringing up all the options to get info about the airport.

Again, I brought up this gripe at both Oshkosh and the Light Sport Expo in Sebring. In neither case did I understand the reason they said it was not implemented.

I downloaded VER 8 to my Mini iPAD and all went well except my routes and waypoints appeared to be missing. After some playing around I found that they were still there even though the Saved Routes page was blank! I could tap on one of the blank lines and one of my routes would load. Apparently the names of the routes are not loading. The same was true of my custom waypoints.

I tried to use Flight Share to send my flight plans from my iPAD (Wing X VER 7.1.2.5) to the Mini iPAD and could not find Flight Share in VER 8 to receive the flight plan. Several items are missing from the Map Page Action List. I have not had time to see if the missing items are in some other menu, like the Saved Routes are now under Options on the Route Planning Page.

Have used the program since it came out and could not be happier with Wing X. This appears to just be a bump in the road.

Ed

Jim, I'm still running under 6.something. All the routes are still there. You did notice the Favs button is not on the bottom ribbon with everything else? I was baffled until I noticed it up in the corner...also thought something was wrong!

My nect question....how do I get it out of nighttime mode?

Hilton mentioned a bug in 8.0 over on the red board..

"Note: Version 8.0.0.0 has a Direct-To bug. This will be fixed in Version 8.0.0.1 - for now we suggest that you don't use Direct-To. You can still do everything without tapping on Direct-To and you will get the ETE etc, just no magenta line to take you there."

How much does Wing x Pro + syntactic vision cost now ?
The best thing is to go to the iPad app store and pull up WingX and you will see the current price breakdown. I think the following is still correct though;

The base price for WingX is either $100 for one year or $200 for three years. The three year deal works out to be less than $67 a year which is one of the best deals going for moving map/EFB software.

SynthVision is an extra $100 per year. It would be cool if there was a three year synthvision deal to go along with the three year base WingX deal, but I have not seen anything regarding that.

Geo-referenced IFR plates is $75. I think approach plates come with the base subscription but are not geo-referenced. The base subscription does come with geo-referenced airport diagrams.

Fuel prices that can be overlaid on your sectional is $30 extra.

Last edited:
Wing x pro 99.90 per year
Synthetic Vision. 99.9 per year
It didn't say that synthetic vision is included or did I miss it ?

Synthetic vision is included just saw it .
This is really nice app, but for just VFR flying and short X country trips it's a little pricy .

Ever since I upgraded to the new Wingx "Adv IFR" (which I think is same as Geo-referenced approach plates) lights up red indicating 'subscription expired.' But my Seattle Avionics subscription is not expired.

Anyone else have this same problem or know the fix ?

Back