Wingtip crack

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
Joy. Found this during pre-flight of the Archer...as if they weren't cracked enough already.

Looks weird almost like something fell on it or it was hit... caved in slightly there. I don't know what it could have been. I didn't do it. Nobody else should have access to my hangar.

Calling the shop tomorrow. I hope it's repairable but that looks bad to me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    862 KB · Views: 136
Sure looks like hangar rash.

Dan

Sure does look like someone didn't watch what they were doing when putting the plane up.... ask me how I'd know...

Attachments

• 20140318_183909.jpg
    20140318_183909.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
Well, it didn't get hit any time when I was present and from late Feb until about a week ago there was ice blocking the airplane from being taken out.

The only entities with keys are myself, the FBO, and the airport facilities people. Nobody but me would have had any reason to be there since Dec. The "wall" between T-hangars only goes up to about the tip of my tail. I suppose someone could have thrown something over or climbed over with a ladder but that seems highly unlikely.

Slightly more plausible is that maybe when I was chipping ice chunks away with the door open a large one broke free, somehow went past me(I was quite intentionally keeping my body between the ice and the airplane), over the wing, and whacked the tip. I don't think that happened either... all that was breaking loose during this ice busting were little shards, certainly nothing big and heavy enough to do that.

Maybe it really is a stress crack? I don't know, guess it's a moot point now as it needs to get fixed either way.

Should be an easy repair ,for a good glass man.

Back