Wings of Hope Spring 2023 Raffle

I got three at about 7:15AM EST. (6:15 CST)

omg PLEASE win so you can never, ever ever say anything about MY bad paint job again.......

Eh, probably pretty cheap to have the brown stripes changed to red or similar and it would look fine. The bright blue and brown combo are a little bit of a mismatch, but I wouldn't be complaining if it were mine!

I just purchased my tickets and there have been over 2200 of 5000 sold already. This year's plane might be more popular than previous years. Despite the paint job.

I kind of like the paint job, assuming no corrosion. I think I’d keep it. Then instead of Cool Beard Guy, I’d be Cool Paint Guy.

omg PLEASE win so you can never, ever ever say anything about MY bad paint job again.......

Eh, probably pretty cheap to have the brown stripes changed to red or similar and it would look fine. The bright blue and brown combo are a little bit of a mismatch, but I wouldn't be complaining if it were mine!

if I won, I would paint it “Butt Ugly Mooney Green“. I’m pretty sure that’s what that color is called. :)

( I actually like @eman1200 ’s plane, but I’m not going to let that stand in the way of keeping the jokes coming). :)

Who lied to you and said you were Cool Beard Guy?...
Hey… perception is reality :D

Now that I’ve spent my money, I have a question. Is this an E or F? Fs came out in ‘63, right? Reg does say F… But that’s totally an E panel… right? (Layout and flap handle being my clues)

according to the FAA published SN, and this site
https://www.flyhpa.com/services/air...lane-buyers-guide/cessna-aircraft/cessna-182/
it's an F
Cessna 182F (1963, S/N 54424 – 55058)​

according to this article, and the photos of the panel
https://www.avweb.com/features/cessna-182-skylane/
it's an E
"The 1963 182F sported a thicker, one-piece windshield and back window, a standard T-panel and an increase in horizontal stabilizer span of 10 inches. Flap pre-select also became standard."​

And according to wikipedia, the F model was certified 1 Aug 1962
but according to the FAA database, the raffle plane's AW date was, 01/17/1963
Making it an F

so my very unreliable conclusion is that the Avweb article has some bad info regarding when the flight instrument layout and flap switch changes happened
OR perhaps more likely
the panel and flap update happened in the middle of the F variant someplace, later in the year.... some F's including this one didn't get the upgrade.​

which is too bad, because those are two things that would be huge dings for me personally against this prize aircraft IF I were shopping to buy it. I've always hated those hold and count the seconds flap switches...consider them a distraction and less safe...and the non standard layout doesn't scan nearly as well IMO

Seems to me that a lot of these lists of variant histories and articles over simplify the info and make it seems that design changes and model variants change according to a calendar year, while it seems teh manufacturers don't seem to care about holding standards of any kind...with mid calendar year variant changes...and with mid variant design changes.
Basically nothing means nothing regarding year produced or variant type.

https://www.flyhpa.com/services/air...lane-buyers-guide/cessna-aircraft/cessna-182/
it's an F

it's an E
"The 1963 182F sported a thicker, one-piece windshield and back window, a standard T-panel and an increase in horizontal stabilizer span of 10 inches. Flap pre-select also became standard."​

Making it an F

so my very unreliable conclusion is that the Avweb article has some bad info regarding when the flight instrument layout and flap switch changes happened
OR perhaps more likely
the panel and flap update happened in the middle of the F variant someplace, later in the year.... some F's including this one didn't get the upgrade.​

which is too bad, because those are two things that would be huge dings for me personally against this prize aircraft IF I were shopping to buy it. I've always hated those hold and count the seconds flap switches...consider them a distraction and less safe...and the non standard layout doesn't scan nearly as well IMO

Seems to me that a lot of these lists of variant histories and articles over simplify the info and make it seems that design changes and model variants change according to a calendar year, while it seems teh manufacturers don't seem to care about holding standards of any kind...with mid calendar year variant changes...and with mid variant design changes.

If someone wins this bird, they can probably have a new custom panel made and solve most of those issues. :)

This was about the only thing that was going to get me to buy-in to the Wings of Hope Raffle. Used to be 3 tickets for 150 for 3000 total tickets. Now it's 275 for 5000 tickets. For that kind of bump I'll wait for a 182 over a run out Musketeer.

If someone wins this bird, they can probably have a new custom panel made and solve most of those issues. :)

ha ha...yeah I thought about that, but then I remembered post #4 in this thread. After paying those taxes + finding out how much a hangar or tie down is going to cost + insurance.... I'm not so sure my wife will let me keep it!:(

it's an F

it's an E

Making it an F

OR perhaps more likely

The Cessna Pilots Association's 182 Model History states that:
- the one piece rear window was new on the 1964 G model 182 (S/N 55059-55844)
- the thicker one piece windshield without center post was new on the 1965 H model 182 (S/N 55845-56684)

Great Lakes Aero Plastics has an STC to install a thicker one piece windshield for some older 182 models.

Question I have is, will the Continental AD be completed by WOH (if applicable) before I pick it up in May?

Question I have is, will the Continental AD be completed by WOH (if applicable) before I pick it up in May?
ummmmmm-excuse-me.gif

I emailed WOH about the AD(s) and received a reply that their Maintenance Director stated the following "Crankshaft AD 23-04-08 does not apply by SN#, Valve fracture AD23-02-13 was complied with and is Not affected by Lot#" So I got that going for me. LOL.

Unfortunately, manufacturers can have miss matches in parts orders, and one years parts continue to be used into the next years production, assuming they fit.

My 64 Chevy pickup had an interesting combination of 64 and 65 parts, with the hood, lights, and grill 65. Instrument panel, 64, but heater controls, 65. Tail lights, 64.

A friend special ordered a Buick at the end of the model year, with the engine and transmission that were going into the next years production high performance 2 door. It was delivered as the earlier year title and trim, but an engine larger that was available his year. He made out like a bandit at the drag strip, as owners with the same engine were giving him time! A dead heat was his win.

So the manufacturer defines the year, not the component parts.........

ha ha...yeah I thought about that, but then I remembered post #4 in this thread. After paying those taxes + finding out how much a hangar or tie down is going to cost + insurance.... I'm not so sure my wife will let me keep it!:(
I'd think you could source a decent loan to pay the taxes using the aircraft itself as collateral, but I don't have anything to back that up. The rest of the costs are going to be monthly expenses no matter what.

I have my 3.

I saw “my” win the other night in the hangar. . She will make someone happy

over a run out Musketeer
Especially since most of the GA piston fleet will run over a Musketeer in flight.

That's one of the few airplanes that you need to inspect the trailing edges for bird strikes.

Wonder what the interest level would be if they offered a 310, Aztec, or Twinkie.

oooh...an apache with oversized engines.... I'm partial to the round nose and round tail over an Aztec..... except 150HP an 160HP way too under-powered. What's the biggest engine that has been put in a round nose Apache?
ahh....never mind. A twin is mostly just more expense.....

oooh...an apache with oversized engines.... I'm partial to the round nose and round tail over an Aztec..... except 150HP an 160HP way too under-powered. What's the biggest engine that has been put in a round nose Apache?
ahh....never mind. A twin is mostly just more expense.....
Geronimo conversion used 180HP

Wonder what the interest level would be if they offered a 310, Aztec, or Twinkie.
I'd probably go in on it even though I have no practical mission for a twin. Just like with any of the WoH raffles, I'd think it would be prudent to have a prebuy done on it to make sure it was worth the time to even take possession of it.

that's an interesting twist I hadn't considered... a prebuy on a "gift"
but I can see the sense in it.
I checked flight aware the other day for that tail number...just out of curiosity. Doesn't seem like the plane has flown in a long time...so yeah, I wonder.

upload_2023-5-1_13-44-31.png

I was daydreaming the other day when I saw the drawing coming up on my calendar, about what i thought was going to be my new plane..... so I googled it to learn some more about it.
I was puzzled why flight aware has no tracking info on it for quite some time.
and I noticed somewhere that the registration listed a sale pending from wings of hope at one point...so they prob had it sold then it fell through for some point. Perhaps that's what prompted the new engine

and for the lucky winner.... I found a little touch of positive history on her
https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/...was-time-Pearland-pilot-81-gives-13720068.php

and on the bright side for me.... I won't have to aggravate my wife with another project to fix up and perhaps even more so, to come up with the tax money!

Anyway, congrats to the four lucky winners!

Back