Wings of Hope Raffle 2018 - 1975 172M

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I received a postcard announcing this year's raffle. Thought you critters would want to know since past raffles with them have had strong support from this crowd.

Ticket sales start April 2, 2018 at 6:00am Central Time. $50.00 gets you one ticket, $125.00 gets you three. Ticket sales continue until July 2, 2018 or until the 4000th ticket is sold. Past years had all tickets sold in 24 hours or less.

The grand prize is a 1975 Cessna 172M, N954JH. Details and additional photos can be found at https://wingsofhope.ngo/airplane-raffle/

Second prize is a scholarship for flight training.

2018_raffle_cessna_01.jpg

Some real life stuff -

I think last year it took them 2 days to sell the tickets, so they're unlikely to sell out in hours. Set an alarm if you're interested.

If you win, you have to pay 25% tax on the item's value. The IRS still gets their cut. They're valuing the plane at just under 50k, so 25% is $12,500. Not bad work if you can get it

They're valuing the plane at just under 50k, so 25% is $12,500.
That’s a cheap airplane!

I got the flyer about a week ago. Might nibble on this one. Nice looking bird!

Well, the ADS-B and intercom sound nice. I wonder about the rest of the panel.

Yeah I wish they would have included at least one photo of the panel, but I'd assume it's all just the standard six-pack with no GPS and the factory King NAV/COMs.

Easy way to raise ~$200K and none of it is deductible for the donors. Tax people also have to look at state taxes......:eek:

Some real life stuff -

I think last year it took them 2 days to sell the tickets, so they're unlikely to sell out in hours. Set an alarm if you're interested.

If you win, you have to pay 25% tax on the item's value. The IRS still gets their cut. They're valuing the plane at just under 50k, so 25% is $12,500. Not bad work if you can get it

The C150 they raffled took a couple days but the the PA-28-235 and the C172 after that both sold out in a matter of hours.

Yeah I wish they would have included at least one photo of the panel, but I'd assume it's all just the standard six-pack with no GPS and the factory King NAV/COMs.

I don't know why, but they almost never show panel pics. It's a bigger tease than the Victoria's Secret catalogue...

Easy way to raise ~$200K and none of it is deductible for the donors. Tax people also have to look at state taxes......:eek:

Yup. Since it is a raffle, the cost of the tickets is not considered a donation. Your raffle tickets are not tax deductible.

But on the other hand, the standard deduction is doubling this year, so unless you have crazy high expenses, you probably won't itemize anyway.

I agree with BFLYNN. I had this out with the rest of the board on one of the non-profits I was on. If there is any benefit to the "donor" which the IRS considers to include the "chance of winning something," it is NOT tax deductible.

is 150hp good or bad? what hp are they usually?

A few extra HP will get you off the ground and a bit better initial climb, but you're still dragging the same 172 airframe through the sky so you're going to burn a bit more fuel not to go much faster with the bigger engine.

A few extra HP will get you off the ground and a bit better initial climb, but you're still dragging the same 172 airframe through the sky so you're going to burn a bit more fuel not to go much faster with the bigger engine.

From what I've read a tuned exhaust can resolve some of that..

we're getting jipped!
Me and my dad used to own an M model... (back in 1980s) I had no real complaints... Its a great $100 hamburger plane but a trip from NYC to Columbus OH took me the better part of a Saturday...

I used to fly for a company in Alaska that had an M model. All flights were just under max gross weight. The small difference in horse power made a big difference. The only time it was comfortable to fly was when the density altitude was -2000 or lower.

That thing has 40 degree flaps. Someone is going to get killed trying to slip in it.
I just tossed that in to get it over with.
Continue doing what ever it was you were doing.
You're welcome.

That thing has 40 degree flaps. Someone is going to get killed trying to slip in it.
You're welcome.

How much will it cost to put the wings down where they're supposed to be?

You're welcome.

GW increase STC limits flaps to 30 degrees. But STCs are also dangerous

Today I will be flying at 1:00 when they draw my winning ticket. Would one of you guys let them know I can pick up my new 172M anytime next week!!! :)

I'm in Alabama, what are these raffles y'all speak of?

Illegal in ****ing Alabama! :mad:

I'm in Alabama, what are these raffles y'all speak of?

Illegal in ****ing Alabama! :mad:

Another reason to not roll tide! Come west a bit and enjoy the good life..raffle winnings. Oh and of course DG in all his glory.

Last edited:
Back