WINGS course question

Only in terms of timing, but there is no restriction. The timing might matter to you if you want to complete a level and get the Wings and/or count it as part of a flight review.

The credits for activities do expire, so if you finish 2 basic, 1 advanced, and 1 master, those might expire before you complete a level, whereas you might have been able to complete a level with 3 basic before expiry.

ah. thanks.
Will they award you an advanced level, without ever having completed any basic level?

Only in terms of timing, but there is no restriction. The timing might matter to you if you want to complete a level and get the Wings and/or count it as part of a flight review.

The credits for activities do expire, so if you finish 2 basic, 1 advanced, and 1 master, those might expire before you complete a level, whereas you might have been able to complete a level with 3 basic before expiry.
Great answer.

Personally, in terms of the flight review substitution and whatever insurance discounts one might receive, I do not see a substantive benefit to completing a higher level. One can do Basic forever.

There is a benefit, of course, to advanced anything, but in this case I think it's mostly personal.

How many basic courses must be completed before:
a) receiving credit for a Basic Level?
b) being allowed to proceed to Advanced and receiving credit for Advanced?
I could not find where any of this is written up, maybe a link?

Do completed courses expire? In other words, must complete all basic level courses within a time frame?

I believe it is 3 courses for the online part and then some flight activities. If you go to the dashboard on the site it should show you what you need to complete each level.

No real advantage to higher levels - well other than the pins you can get from Avemco

Do completed courses expire? In other words, must complete all basic level courses within a time frame?

Each course will expire at a fixed period after completion. You need the required number non-expired to apply for a level.

There are three "Topics"of knowledge Activities and 3 "Topics" of flight activities. Six in total.

You need to complete one in each of the six Basic Topics to accomplish Basic Level.

Once you get one Basic, you may, if you wish, move up to Advanced.
They expire in one year.

This course

ALC-324
Accident Case Study - Everyone's Problem

directs one to a YT of 20 videos 4-16 mins each

-do you have to complete all 20 to get the 0.5 credit?
-that is a big time commitment for few credits, how does it know you are finished? (I dont want to invest 3 hours only to lean it’s broken ie not giving any credit.)
After the first vid, it continues on to the next one automatically.
Going back to the faasafety site does not indicate completion, or even, progress.

This course

ALC-324
Accident Case Study - Everyone's Problem

directs one to a YT of 20 videos 4-16 mins each

-do you have to complete all 20 to get the 0.5 credit?
-that is a big time commitment for few credits, how does it know you are finished? (I dont want to invest 3 hours only to lean it’s broken ie not giving any credit.)
After the first vid, it continues on to the next one automatically.
Going back to the faasafety site does not indicate completion, or even, progress.

I believe there is a link in the description of the video which you can click and apply for credit. I think you get the 0.5 credit for one video.

A couple more questions....
-anytime I get interrupted, when I return to the video I have to see the entire thing again.
-I notice the faasafety site has logged me out, so I log back in, same thing - must see entire vid again

These two courses seem to be dead links, on my ipad. Can anyone see them?

ALC-214 Avoiding Loss of Control Free Bright Spot, Inc.

ALC-322 Aviation Weather Data: A Targeted Approach Free FAA Safety Team

I am working on BASIC Phase 3, and I can't tell whether I have completed the three Knowledge requirements yet. In the last year, I have completed three online courses. Two of them were "Basic Knowledge Topic 1" courses, and the third was an "Advanced Knowledge Topic 2" course. I understand that I need to complete three Knowledge Topics, but the User Guide does not indicate whether the three topics must be "Topic 1," "Topic 2" and "Topic 3" courses, or whether it's OK to have more than one "Topic 1" course. Also, I understand the difference between the BASIC Wings level and the ADVANCED Wings Level, but the Guide does not indicate whether an Advanced Topic course may be used to satisfy a BASIC Level Knowledge course. I'm wondering whether despite the fact that I've completed and received credit for three courses, I nevertheless still need to take a "Basic Knowledge Topic 2" course and a "Basic Knowledge Topic 3" course. Hope someone can explain it to me.

Last edited:
Back