Wing Walk - Refresh the luster??

1000RR

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
1000RR
Anyone have any products they've used that will bring back the black luster on the wing walk? Mine isn't that bad so I'm not looking to recoat it or spray paint it black or anything that significant. Really just looking to see if anyone has had luck with something you can spray on, wipe off... that maybe puts the luster back in for a couple/few months, then re-apply again... kinda like the ole Armor All but nothing slick obviously.

TIA

Anyone have any products they've used that will bring back the black luster on the wing walk? Mine isn't that bad so I'm not looking to recoat it or spray paint it black or anything that significant. Really just looking to see if anyone has had luck with something you can spray on, wipe off... that maybe puts the luster back in for a couple/few months, then re-apply again... kinda like the ole Armor All but nothing slick obviously.

TIA
I read where you said no paint, but my friend refreshed his arrow with black rustoleum paint recently. He used a brush and painters tape. I watched him do it on his old cherokee also. It seems to hold up well and was a easy quick job.
It seems anything you spray or wipe on there may make it slicker?

Anyone have any products they've used that will bring back the black luster on the wing walk?
Define luster? Most premade products are flat or semi-gloss at best. And is your wing-walk the stick-on type or painted type?

I read where you said no paint, but my friend refreshed his arrow with black rustoleum paint recently. He used a brush and painters tape. I watched him do it on his old cherokee also. It seems to hold up well and was a easy quick job.
It seems anything you spray or wipe on there may make it slicker?
That's a good point; I over looked purchasing just a quart of black paint and putting a coat on it via paint brush. In my head I was stuck on a rattle can and really wanted NO part in that (overspray, etc.).

Last edited:
Define luster? Most premade products are flat or semi-gloss at best. And is your wing-walk the stick-on type or painted type?
Good question; I am not looking for shiny or anything specific other than a uniform/consistent black finish. Right now, I have some lightly faded areas (presumably sun faded).

Last edited:
Good question; I am not looking for shiny or anything specific other than a uniform/consistent black finish. Right now, I have some lightly faded areas (presumably sun faded).
Do you wax or coat your wings? Any finish product that gets on wing walk will leave a whitish, chalky stain that is a bear to remove. Isopropyl Alcohol and water (50/50%) can help with that. It will remove anything on the wing itself, so be sure to mask off the paint adjacent.

Do you wax or coat your wings? Any finish product that gets on wing walk will leave a whitish, chalky stain that is a bear to remove. Isopropyl Alcohol and water (50/50%) can help with that. It will remove anything on the wing itself, so be sure to mask off the paint adjacent.
Maybe I'll start there as I do have some of that going on. We've had the plane about the year and I've tried to be careful (for that reason) but it looks like the prior waxing (owner) got a little carried away in that regard. Thanks for the tip!!

other than a uniform/consistent black finish
If its the rubberized stick-on WW you can sometimes clean it as mentioned and get more color consistency. If its the grit stick-on or paint on grit variety not many options outside of paint touch up or reapplication. Also if the grit is worn off in places it will change its appearance. To cover both issues, we would thin out some standard WW paint with toulene/MEK and apply a very thin top coat. If the grit was not worn we'd paint just a thin coat of flat black enamel paint to spruce things up.

Cheap......Fast.......Good

4YLD1_AS01

If its the rubberized stick-on WW you can sometimes clean it as mentioned and get more color consistency. If its the grit stick-on or paint on grit variety not many options outside of paint touch up or reapplication. Also if the grit is worn off in places it will change its appearance. To cover both issues, we would thin out some standard WW paint with toulene/MEK and apply a very thin top coat. If the grit was not worn we'd paint just a thin coat of flat black enamel paint to spruce things up.

I think I may do something along these lines. I may stop and purchase a simple quart of Rustoleum black paint and just tape it off and put a coat of that on. I've heard it does well and lasts pretty good.

Cheap......Fast.......Good

4YLD1_AS01
Can you buy this stuff in a quart can and then just brush it on? I'm guessing so?! I don't really want anything of the aerosol type.

or refresh with the real stuff.....non-skid deck paint from a marine store or amazon, perhaps?

or refresh with the real stuff.....non-skid deck paint from a marine store or amazon, perhaps?
I'll have to check into this a little more and see what the options are in the quart size. Thanks for the suggestion.

No way I'm overpainting wing walk with anything other than more wing walk compound. Paint is gonna have a negative impact on the traction on the wings, and the last thing I wanna do is bust my ass or my airplane falling off the wing. If it looks bad, either scrape it off (assuming it is a stick-on), or overpaint it with more wing walk compound.

No way I'm overpainting wing walk with anything other than more wing walk compound. Paint is gonna have a negative impact on the traction on the wings, and the last thing I wanna do is bust my *** or my airplane falling off the wing. If it looks bad, either scrape it off (assuming it is a stick-on), or overpaint it with more wing walk compound.
Already decided on a solution

I ended up buying a quart of the Randolf. Figured do it once, do it right.
FYI: Be sure to mix it well from the bottom up and dont apply it direct from the can. Pull a well mixed portion into a non-plastic container and thin it with some toulene preferably. Another trick is to cut the bristles down on 2 inch paint brush and dab the new WW onto the old vs "paint" it back and forth.

FYI: Be sure to mix it well from the bottom up and dont apply it direct from the can. Pull a well mixed portion into a non-plastic container and thin it with some toulene preferably. Another trick is to cut the bristles down on 2 inch paint brush and dab the new WW onto the old vs "paint" it back and forth.
Thanks for the tips. Is the reason for not applying direct from the can so it will stay mixed and consistent? Do you pour some in a paint tray or what have you found works best?

Maybe I'll start there as I do have some of that going on. We've had the plane about the year and I've tried to be careful (for that reason) but it looks like the prior waxing (owner) got a little carried away in that regard. Thanks for the tip!!
Many polishes have silicone in them. Makes a nice, long-lasting shine. But silicone, if not entirely removed, will cause serious "fisheye" in any paint applied over a surface. It's a painter's nightmare. It repels paint. It takes a lot of scrubbing to remove silicone.

An example of fisheye:

upload_2022-11-10_19-11-54.jpeg

Many polishes have silicone in them. Makes a nice, long-lasting shine. But silicone, if not entirely removed, will cause serious "fisheye" in any paint applied over a surface. It's a painter's nightmare. It repels paint. It takes a lot of scrubbing to remove silicone.

An example of fisheye:

View attachment 112209
Do you have some.suggestion on cleaning prior to reapplying some wing walk? Denatured alcohol?

Is the reason for not applying direct from the can so it will stay mixed and consistent?
If mixed properly most quality wingwalk like Randolfs is very thick. So if you dont thin it you end up putting too thick a layer on the aircraft. Its easier to thin a portion in its own container than in the can unless the can is almost empty.
Do you pour some in a paint tray or what have you found works best?
If mixed completely it tends to not to pour well in my experience. I had an old metal turbine oil can I kept in my toolbox to thin WW in but any small chem-proof container will work. Mask the edges to protect the paint and the toluene or MEK you use to thin the mix can be used to clean the area beforehand. Just be sure to exercise common sense with these chemicals like gloves, glasses, etc.

Do you have some.suggestion on cleaning prior to reapplying some wing walk? Denatured alcohol?
Anything that might work will likely be flammable, and some of it could damage the paint as well, so it gets a bit risky. We used to strip all the paint off airplanes before painting, and scrubbed them down with thinners and really fine Scotchbrite. That polish would sometimes hide around rivet heads and along seams, too. Nasty stuff.

You might try just soap and water and a stiff nylon brush. Rinse it off, and then run water across the surface to see if it is repelled anywhere. It will pull away from any surface that has silicone or oils or whatever on it. See this: https://techblog.ctgclean.com/2011/08/is-it-clean-oil-and-hydrophobic-films-water-break-test/

If mixed properly most quality wingwalk like Randolfs is very thick. So if you dont thin it you end up putting too thick a layer on the aircraft. Its easier to thin a portion in its own container than in the can unless the can is almost empty.
That makes sense. I'm just using it to freshen the look, not really put an entirely new wing walk on. What consistency are you looking for, more like regular paint so it is more user friendly? Or is thinner than that ok since I'm just looking for a thin coat?

What consistency are you looking for, more like regular paint so it is more user friendly
If just top coating thin to where it doesnt readily run off the brush. If applying a new base coat thicker. Key is mixing it fully as the sand or grit settles to the bottom.

That makes sense. I'm just using it to freshen the look, not really put an entirely new wing walk on. What consistency are you looking for, more like regular paint so it is more user friendly? Or is thinner than that ok since I'm just looking for a thin coat?
If it was mine I'd be using more wing-walk paint. The grit in the old stuff tends to wear off, and just applying paint over it can leave a slicker surface.

The dumb thing with wing-walk paint is its disruption to the boundary layer and loss of lift that can occur over it. If frost on a wing is bad, this stuff must be far worse. Here in Canada it's illegal to take off with any critical surface contaminated with snow or ice or frost. Basically, the rule looks like this:
  • 602.11 (1) In this section, critical surfaces means the wings, control surfaces, rotors, propellers, horizontal stabilizers, vertical stabilizers or any other stabilizing surfaces of an aircraft, as well as any other surfaces identified as critical surfaces in the aircraft flight manual.
  • (2) No person shall conduct or attempt to conduct a take-off in an aircraft that has frost, ice or snow adhering to any of its critical surfaces.

If it was mine I'd be using more wing-walk paint. The grit in the old stuff tends to wear off, and just applying paint over it can leave a slicker surface.
That's the plan... I ordered more wing-walk coating. Plan on thinning it a bit and applying over the existing just to freshen it up.

with silicone caulk the only way I'm aware of cleaning the residue is using mineral spirits + lots of elbow grease....and mineral spirits + lots of elbow grease....and mineral spirits + lots of elbow grease.....

with silicone caulk the only way I'm aware of cleaning the residue is using mineral spirits + lots of elbow grease....and mineral spirits + lots of elbow grease....and mineral spirits + lots of elbow grease.....
I'm not planning to remove the exiting WW. Just planning to clean it up and then apply a thin cost of new WW coating to freshen it up.

I'm flying a low wing airplane with wing walk that was looking a bit aged, the owner has painted it with black paint. It looks a whole lot better but talk about a slip hazard! Wow that black paint, when a little bit wet (morning condensation or light rain) and it if osha was involved they'd ban the practice! I never would have guessed, might have done the same myself (painted it).
Possibly a bit off the OP's topic but in case anyone ponders this approach...

https://www.randolphproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/MIL-W-5044C.pdf

TT-T-291 is mineral spirits.

I am looking for some info I saw a while back, that talked about turning the can upside down for a few days to get the grit at the top for easier mixing
Thanks for pointing that out and sharing the link... just saved me $20. I was gonna stop by West Marine today and pick up some MEK. I've already got a gallon of Mineral Spirits at the hangar. The Randolf WW won't be in till next week, so I'm just getting things together and ready in advance. Thanks a ton @Pinecone!

I'm flying a low wing airplane with wing walk that was looking a bit aged, the owner has painted it with black paint. It looks a whole lot better but talk about a slip hazard! Wow that black paint, when a little bit wet (morning condensation or light rain) and it if osha was involved they'd ban the practice! I never would have guessed, might have done the same myself (painted it).
Possibly a bit off the OP's topic but in case anyone ponders this approach...
I was REALLY close to just freshening it up with paint. Hadn't thought about the rain/wet factor - great point. I've got a quart of Randolf WW inbound and will plan to work on it later next week. Thanks for sharing the experience - great info!

turning the can upside down for a few days to get the grit at the top for easier mixing

my hardware store guy is happy to put any paint I want in his shaker for free.
I would not ask him to do a competitor's but I think he would!
If yours says aviation (or you mention it's that type) possibly your hardware store would?
Make sure the paint says ok to shake - some foam up if you shake it instead of stirring it.

For those who haven't settled on a solution and are rattle-can hesitant because of potential overspray/drift, with a rattle-can of Rust-Oleum Truck Bed Coating, some dirt cheap or old bedsheets (or anything you have laying around, like plastic sheeting, tarps, packing quilts, etc.), and 2" wide painters tape, you can easily protect your aircraft.

That's my eventual plan. I had my truck bed treated with Line-X thirteen years ago. After years of hauling, dirt, gravel, cinderblocks, landscape blocks, random trash, rented rototillers, stump grinders, plus shovel work, pitchfork work, and more, it has sustained a single ding. On the top of the tailgate where a forklift scraped off a flake the size of a finger nail. I'm sold.

Thanks for pointing that out and sharing the link... just saved me $20. I was gonna stop by West Marine today and pick up some MEK.
If you want to damage the existing stuff, MEK is the way to do it. Mix it with the new paint and put it on, and the old stuff might debond and give you a really classy mess.

If you want to damage the existing stuff, MEK is the way to do it. Mix it with the new paint and put it on, and the old stuff might debond and give you a really classy mess.
Thanks, I was already suggested not to use that as well. Definitely not looking for a small project to turn into a big one.

This is a VERY simple job. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes. Don't complicate things!!

This is a VERY simple job. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes. Don't complicate things!!
Nice! I've already got the existing prepped... cleaned and taped off. Just waiting on the product to show up.

Back