Wing Spar Rivet Squeeze

Notatestpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Notatestpilot
Howdy!
I was thinking of an inexpensive way to squeeze big (3/16th inch dia) rivets. Like the type holding a wing spar cap together. Would using the right rivet sets in between a hydraulic press be a workable method?

Ideally, the right tool is to use a deep wide head on a pneumatic squeeze…but I’m trying to find a cheaper way.

Rivet squeezers have to be rigid enough to ensure that the rivet does not "dump" during the squeeze. Just using a press to push a snap isn't going to work well at all.

In aviation, cheap usually ends up costing more.

I’m trying to find a cheaper way.
When it comes to bucking rivets the cheapest way is to do it manually with a rivet gun and bucking bar. A C-squeeze rivet gun (manual or air) has its place but a standard rivet gun can be more flexible. Never seen or used a hydraulic press for riveting before but personally wouldnt use it. However without more info on your project can't offer much more.

Did you ask your type club?
They can tell you the cheapest and best ways for every rivet, angle, hole punch on the airplane.
If there are only a few, borrow the best tool.

Here's what Dan Weseman at Sport Performance Aviation uses for the spar rivets in his experimental Panther aircraft:

Thank you!
That is exactly what I’m looking for…

More than a few folks built early RV spars using a C-frame dimpler with cupped sets and a big-assed hammer...just like Vans described.

Nauga,
and some good hearing protecction

Early Sonex guys built the spars using the "big bolt" method which used a large bolt and a hammer to set the rivets. FWIW, my plane has factory assembled wing spars ...

Here's what Dan Weseman at Sport Performance Aviation uses for the spar rivets in his experimental Panther aircraft:

That will keep the rivet from dumping. Without that rigid-C-frame, anything can happen.

You can use any method you like to form a shop head as long as you don't work harden the rivet and it's within specs. A press is fine as long as it doesn't flex and the part doesn't move.

Back