Wine, Spirits, and Beer

There was nothing indescrete when the bottle of Everclear came out:D Do they still sell Purple Passion in a can?

Never knew they did. It was too easy to make.... "Start with a clean trashcan..."

Never knew they did. It was too easy to make.... "Start with a clean trashcan..."

Yep, they sure did. Me and some friends went skiing one night and hid a case worth in our pockets and stuck it in the snow at the top of the lift. Every time we got to the top we'd slam another can. You should have seen our skiing at the end of the session:hairraise:.

Reviving an old thread...

I've been eyeing a bottle of Black Maple Hill's 23 year old Kentucky Rye for a few months now. As a gift to myself, I splurged on the bottle.

Holy jiminy Christmas. What an experience. If you can find a bottle... get it. I get a strong maple, smooth sweet resin nose that is more spicy than hot, with a palette of cereal, smoke, and structured sweet wood (think a sweet tannin) with a long, warm finish that ends up (+60 seconds!) with a cedar, almost tobacco sort of flavor. This drinks, well, amazingly. The price can be a wee bit high, but it has a flavor that scotches 4x as expensive lack.

http://www.cocktailchronicles.com/2007/02/28/rye-tasting-ix-black-maple-hill/

Cheers,

-Andrew

This year's Christmas party included a selection of Scotch Whiskys including several different MacCallans. Since I had many bottles in posession, I only suggested the guests could bring their favorites. I now have 14 Scotches on the shelf, should you be in the area. (Of course, they might not all last that long.)
Heading to Scotland in March to test a few close up.
Scotch is currently on the top of the list of drinks, and I do have a variety. Still trying to figure out which on I like best (Yeah, right!). I also have a number of other whiskeys on the shelf including 2 different Crown Royals and a couple of Bourbons including Makers' Mark.
Variety really is the spice of life.

Hey John,

I'd be glad to road trip down with a few to sample... I've got a Bowmore 21, Black Maple Hill 23, and (soon, I hope!) a bottle of Laphroig 30...

Cheers,

-Andrew

Sounds great Andrew - maybe with a nice Ashton or Fuente?

Chateauneuf du Papes waiting here for the weekend.

Last edited:
Reviving an old thread...

I've been eyeing a bottle of Black Maple Hill's 23 year old Kentucky Rye for a few months now. As a gift to myself, I splurged on the bottle.

Holy jiminy Christmas. What an experience. If you can find a bottle... get it. I get a strong maple, smooth sweet resin nose that is more spicy than hot, with a palette of cereal, smoke, and structured sweet wood (think a sweet tannin) with a long, warm finish that ends up (+60 seconds!) with a cedar, almost tobacco sort of flavor. This drinks, well, amazingly. The price can be a wee bit high, but it has a flavor that scotches 4x as expensive lack.

http://www.cocktailchronicles.com/2007/02/28/rye-tasting-ix-black-maple-hill/

Cheers,

-Andrew
Or as they say in Kentucky ... "she's right smooth, with jes' a 'tech of a kick" :D

Just about any German dry Riesling table wine (Qualitaetswein without Praedikat). Well, Maybe a Kabinet but no Auslese. They start getting to sweet for me.

Any good sippping brandy unless I have a miserable cold. Then its Jaegermeister but not chilled.

Dark chewable beers in glass, also not out of the fridge. Chilling kills the flavor.

My wife bought me a bottle of George Dickel Barrel Select for Christmas. Now, I consider myself a expert on uncle George's white label but this Barrel Select is like sippin' liquid gold. Absolutely no burn or bite, just that warm mellow glow.
As for price, it retails for about $40, if you can find it outside Tennessee.

Sounds great Andrew - maybe with a nice Ashton or Fuente?

Chateauneuf du Papes waiting here for the weekend.

CCJ... you are speaking my language. I'm more of a Partagas fan (when in Europe), otherwise I have taken a liking to La Aurora Preforido Sapphire - Connecticut Wrapper - which is an amazing 7 year old tobacco from CT. They can be found pretty inexpensively (for the quality) - as low as $8 a stick, as high as $15. However, the good old Hemingway Short Story ($5) is my go-to cigar.

The cigar would need to be smooth and rich to compliment this, with just a bit of spice thrown in. Hmm, I think the Aurora or the Hemingway would work. My current pipe tobacco, a luxury twist flake from Virginia, would work well with this.

CDP is my favorite French style of wine. Had a few bottles of Vieux that blew me out of the water two months ago. I also dig C-Rs (Cote Roite, sp?), but they are for dedicated "drinking" sessions, for me they are a tough pair with most general cooking.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Approximately how expensive?

It ranges from $99-$149 on the Internet. I paid $120 for it (like I said, this was a gift to myself), and I think it drinks better than the Macallan 30 a friend shared with me last year.

Cheers,

-Andrew

CCJ... you are speaking my language. I'm more of a Partagas fan (when in Europe), otherwise I have taken a liking to La Aurora Preforido Sapphire - Connecticut Wrapper - which is an amazing 7 year old tobacco from CT. They can be found pretty inexpensively (for the quality) - as low as $8 a stick, as high as $15. However, the good old Hemingway Short Story ($5) is my go-to cigar.

The cigar would need to be smooth and rich to compliment this, with just a bit of spice thrown in. Hmm, I think the Aurora or the Hemingway would work. My current pipe tobacco, a luxury twist flake from Virginia, would work well with this.

CDP is my favorite French style of wine. Had a few bottles of Vieux that blew me out of the water two months ago. I also dig C-Rs (Cote Roite, sp?), but they are for dedicated "drinking" sessions, for me they are a tough pair with most general cooking.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Also have a bottle of Opus just collecting some dust! -- We'll have to get together sometimes this summer have you down here at the Cape.

Well, I was enjoying some cachaca a couple weeks ago. Put a slice of lime in the bottom of the glass, add sugar. Muddle a bit, then add ice and cachaca. Voila. The Brazilian national drink. I still can't make one as good as I get down there.

Silver Oak, someone mentioned? My boss likes that. I can't afford it, I've watched him pay $200+ in a restaurant for a bottle. Fortunately, he shares. And it is good.

Crown Royal for me, along with a few others. Rebel Yell isn't half bad, either. :D

It ranges from $99-$149 on the Internet. I paid $120 for it (like I said, this was a gift to myself), and I think it drinks better than the Macallan 30 a friend shared with me last year.

I may have to try that one!

Andrew,

What cigar would you recommend to go with a fine Kentucky Bourbon? I'm going to try Eagle Rare this weekend and now that the weather is getting warmer, an occasional cigar on the deck will be nice.

Andrew,

What cigar would you recommend to go with a fine Kentucky Bourbon? I'm going to try Eagle Rare this weekend and now that the weather is getting warmer, an occasional cigar on the deck will be nice.

Eagle Rare 10 or 17? (They have some limited single barrel 13yo bottles floating around, too)

The 10 is pretty warm with a strong hit of nutmeg or vanilla - so a smoother smoke (IMO) would be where I would look to go. Across three price ranges...

+ Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story. 5" long, about a 46 ring gauge, a funny torpedo style roll. 30-45 minute smoke depending on how hard you push it. $5-$6, good spice, compliments bourbon nicely, gets a bit hot towards the end.
+ Graycliff "Profesionale" Blue Label - Pirate (52 ring, 6" length) or PGX (50 ring, 6" length). A smoother slide of the Graycliff smokes, but with enough complexity to work with bourbon. I really like the Pirates; they have a great balance of flavor and spice. $8-$13 would be my guess.
+ La Aurora Preforido - Ruby or Sapphire. The Ruby has a good amount of Brazillian tobacco in it, which is decidedly smooth and rich. The Sapphire is the Connecticut (total cigar) and I am positively in love with it. The biggest downside to this smoke is that, with all of the flavor and richness that they offer, it can be a bit on the full bodied side and, for some people, clash with the bourbon. However, it's not so for me but friends have complained in the past. $13-$20 per, I think I paid $13 in Pittsburgh, $16 in Boston and box price was about $11 per. (I actually googled the price on this one, rather than relying on my memory like in my previous post... which is why there is a price discrepency)

Of the Cuban variety, if that is your thing, I would suggest a Partagas P or a Diplomaticos # 2. Avoid the Cohbia and Montecristo's.

Cheers,

-Andrew
who, surprisingly, smokes only a few times a year...

Last edited:
I may have to try that one!

Had a second glass last night - you HAVE to try it! Like Chip said, it's got impressive smoothness paired with a nice kick. It really has blown my socks off, the QVP on this one is out of sight!

Cheers,

-Andrew

Eagle Rare 10 or 17? (They have some limited single barrel 13yo bottles floating around, too)

I guess I'll try the 10 first. Is that what you drink?

The 10 is pretty warm with a strong hit of nutmeg or vanilla - so a smoother smoke (IMO) would be where I would look to go. Across three price ranges...

+ Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story. 5" long, about a 46 ring gauge, a funny torpedo style roll. 30-45 minute smoke depending on how hard you push it. $5-$6, good spice, compliments bourbon nicely, gets a bit hot towards the end.
+ Graycliff "Profesionale" Blue Label - Pirate (52 ring, 6" length) or PGX (50 ring, 6" length). A smoother slide of the Graycliff smokes, but with enough complexity to work with bourbon. I really like the Pirates; they have a great balance of flavor and spice. $8-$13 would be my guess.
+ La Aurora Preforido - Ruby or Sapphire. The Ruby has a good amount of Brazillian tobacco in it, which is decidedly smooth and rich. The Sapphire is the Connecticut (total cigar) and I am positively in love with it. The biggest downside to this smoke is that, with all of the flavor and richness that they offer, it can be a bit on the full bodied side and, for some people, clash with the bourbon. However, it's not so for me but friends have complained in the past. $13-$20 per, I think I paid $13 in Pittsburgh, $16 in Boston and box price was about $11 per. (I actually googled the price on this one, rather than relying on my memory like in my previous post... which is why there is a price discrepency)

Of the Cuban variety, if that is your thing, I would suggest a Partagas P or a Diplomaticos # 2. Avoid the Cohbia and Montecristo's.

Excellent info! Thanks! BTW, if you do see Woodford Reserve Bourbon in your liquor store, I highly recommend it. I toured their distillery about a month ago and was very impressed. Its about $28 - $31 per 750 ml here in Kentucky. I also like Buffalo Trace which is not as complex, but also about $8 - $10 per bottle less expensive.

I guess I'll try the 10 first. Is that what you drink?

I've got the 10 and a 13, they are very different from each other (which is surprising), I actually will make whipped cream with a few drops of 10 in it - when you taste it, you'll (hopefully, otherwise I'm crazy) understand why.

10 is the best intro Bourbon out there, I think, because it is very accessable (meaning, it is not as sour as some stronger bourbons) and has a palette that can be slightly sweet without being over the top. My wife will, on the rarest of occasions, have a dram with me.

Excellent info! Thanks! BTW, if you do see Woodford Reserve Bourbon in your liquor store, I highly recommend it. I toured their distillery about a month ago and was very impressed. Its about $28 - $31 per 750 ml here in Kentucky. I also like Buffalo Trace which is not as complex, but also about $8 - $10 per bottle less expensive.

Woodford! I always keep Woodford around, it just drinks so well and is so well priced. Woodford, Basil Haydens and Bookers are always on the shelf, along with Oban, Lagauvlin and Bowmore. Other spirits cycle in and out over time; a bottle usually lasts me about 9-10 months depending on how many guests I have stay with me.

Buffalo Trace is the distillery that also makes Eagle Rare IIRC - so if you like the base malt product in BT, you'll really like the Eagle Rare, although it shows a lot more spicy wood (that's the strong vanilla / nutmeg notes) than BT. BT is far more sour in comparison.

Thedford is also a good one, very smooth and relaxing, but can also be a bit unrewarding if you dig super sour. Bulliet is interesting, but I wouldn't run out and get it for the sake of it.

I never really dug Blanton's or Knob Creek, or Maker's for that matter, but I keep both around - Knob for a stiff Manhattan or Maker's for a bourbon and ginger (with a twist of lime).

I saw a bottle of 21 year old Pappy Van Winkle for $219 the other day. I hope bourbon doesn't go the way of scotch...

Cheers,

-Andrew

wine...nope!
spirits....Glenlivits Scotch
beer.... Coors Light can.....
14 cfr 91.17 if i remember corectly?....but i use the 12 hr bottle to throttle....cheers all!
e

I've done it again...

BowNCS16-lo.jpg

Was onsale at my local malt shop. It's in the family now...

Cheers,

-Andrew

I've done it again...

BowNCS16-lo.jpg

Was onsale at my local malt shop. It's in the family now...

Cheers,

-Andrew
This would be the only "Sweet 16" you're gonna get your hands on without being arrested. Not a bad choice!

This would be the only "Sweet 16" you're gonna get your hands on without being arrested. Not a bad choice!

Thanks! I really, really like Bowmore's product, always have. This is just an interesting addition to the collection - it normally goes for $120 US but I snapped it up for $80 - enough to get me to impulse buy.

Scotch, like women and wine, are far better when they have some good age on them. But that is just my taste... :yes:

Cheers,

-Andrew

A couple of Monday's ago I went ot bed early, my phone rang and I ignored it. It was my Scotch club buddies inviting me down from my hotel room to sample some of the really cool stuff they picked up in Scotland last month. These guys don't drink anything less than 30 years old. I am DISAPPOINTED!

After reading this I am little thirsty for the water of life.

Flor de Caña rum, 7 years old. On ice.

Powers Irish Whiskey on the rocks.[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

My local store now boasts of nearly 200 scotch whiskys and one of the largest in the area. I must say I'm working my way through.
We visited Tullibardine Distillery. Even got a tour in the bonded wharehouse with a few casts to taste from. Now there is a fine whisky. The '66 is a wonderful taste. The bottle is a bit much at 300 pounds. (by the way, I've got a case of mixed enroute. The only thing missing is the '66.

Back