Wine, Spirits, and Beer

astanley

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew Stanley
For the imbibers amongst the PoA crowd...

What are your favorites in each category? Why do you like them?

I'll start.

Wine - toss up. L'Ecole No 41 Apogee Cab Sauv - from Walla Walla Valley in Washington State - is pretty damn sexy. However, Castallare's I Sodi di San Niccolò (94) is a blast, but that is only because we drank that bottle of wine after Jessie and I got engaged.

Spirits - Bourbon. I like Scotch, but for the dollar, the flavor, and the texture, you can't beat Bourbon. I generally drink Basil Hayden's.

Beer - Magic Hat's Fat Angel *or* Miller High Life. It's the champagne of beers.

So what do people drink?

:cheerio:

Cheers,

-Andrew

Don't know a darn thing about wine. My wife likes Arbor Mist.

Just about every Friday or Saturday night Cathy and I will have a drink or two. It will be Southern Comfort, with occasional forays into Jim Beam or Captain Morgan's pineapple rum.

My current wine of choice (and no, not becuase of the movie Sideways) is the Wild Horse Pinot Noir in any year I can afford.

Spirits aren't really my bag, so I really couldn't tell you. However, in college my choice was Absolut Citron.

Beer: Stella Artois. 'Nuff said. Smoothest drinking beer I've ever had. Can't get it in Michigan, but I can get it in Ohio, so I always buy some when I go see the family.

If you've never tried a Stella, see if you can find it. It's wonderful stuff. :)

Long time no talk, Impy... ;)

Carolyn

Wine: Boordy Vineyards - Sangria a nice spiced wine - excellent for use as a mulled wine. I'm not big on wine otherwise.

Liquor: Hard to say - but I have a weakness for Snickertini's.

Beer: Real beer. Sam Adams, Beck's, Beck's Dark, St. Pauli Girl, St. Pauli Girl Dark.

Lager is for wimps. And American Beer is generally too much like sex in a canoe...

Wine? Red or White!! Just kidding, I prefer Australian Shiraz or Pinot Noir. I'm bummed because I was into Pinot Noir before Sideways made it popular- now I feel like a follower.

Spirits - Vodka

Beer - Miller Lite or Michelob Ultra (low carb)

How about another category, Liqueurs - Glayva

Greebo said:
Beer: Real beer. Sam Adams, Beck's, Beck's Dark, St. Pauli Girl, St. Pauli Girl Dark.

Lager is for wimps. And American Beer is generally too much like sex in a canoe...

Then you should try my other favorite beer... it's called Le Fin Du Monde from a micro brewery in Quebec. 9% alcohol and it has serious teeth. When I run out of Stella, I go fetch some of that. Detroit is close enough to Canada to have a lot of good beer at our disposal. If we want even more, we go across the border and take a meander through The Beer Store. Those Canadians make some good beverages. And I can get Ketchup Chips too... ;)

Carolyn

Razor said:
Then you should try my other favorite beer... it's called Le Fin Du Monde from a micro brewery in Quebec. 9% alcohol and it has serious teeth. When I run out of Stella, I go fetch some of that. Detroit is close enough to Canada to have a lot of good beer at our disposal. If we want even more, we go across the border and take a meander through The Beer Store. Those Canadians make some good beverages. And I can get Ketchup Chips too... ;)

Carolyn

La Fin du Monde, Raftman, U2 are all Unibroe beers and available in the states.

However, on my trip to Quebec last year, I stocked up. Was drinking Unibroe until New Years!!!

If you are lucky, you can get poutine too, the height of all cuisine period.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Carolyn,

I'll be happy to accept delivery on any Le Fin Du Monde you choose to send to me. PM me for my mailing address. B)

astanley said:
If you are lucky, you can get poutine too, the height of all cuisine period.

Cheers,

-Andrew
And it comes with a defibrillator too!

That's a difficult one, there are sooooo many good wines out there.

small wineries:
La Bodega (Texas) Pvt Reserve Merlot (got it at the winery at DFW)
Icicle Ridge (WA) Log Cabin Red (Merlot/Cab mix)
Icicle Ridge "Three Blondes" Gewürztraminer

mass produced stuff:
Yellow Tail (AUS) Shiraz
Chateau St Jean (CA) Robert Yong Reserve Chardonnay

I also have a couple bottles of stuff that aren't ready to be open, that I can't wait to try:
Becker Vineayds (TX) Reserve Cabernet
St Helena Wineries (CA) Sympa
Icicle Ridge Vinters Reserve Merlot

Not much into hard liqour, but as far as beer goes...

Guinness Extra Stout (room temp)
Bitterroot Brewing Porter

Can I go home now? I'm getting thirsty

Razor said:
My current wine of choice (and no, not becuase of the movie Sideways) is the Wild Horse Pinot Noir in any year I can afford.

Spirits aren't really my bag, so I really couldn't tell you. However, in college my choice was Absolut Citron.

Beer: Stella Artois. 'Nuff said. Smoothest drinking beer I've ever had. Can't get it in Michigan, but I can get it in Ohio, so I always buy some when I go see the family.

If you've never tried a Stella, see if you can find it. It's wonderful stuff. :)

Long time no talk, Impy... ;)

Carolyn

Razor!!!! I'll PM you.

Vodka is great... how can you go wrong? I have a bottle of Citadel from Belarus, a gift from one of my engineers.

I felt like a donk going in and asking for Mueller's Russian River the other day.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Beer...currently in the 'fridge Heiniken...maybe after I get the final bill for the engine it will be back to Miller MGD. I also like Fosters. With swimsuit season coming up Karen has been drinking Amstel Light.

I occasionally have a vodka on the rocks...currently Stoli but I think I want to try Grey Goose next.

Wine...I'm not into much but I like the German Rhine wines.

Len

I've been called a redneck....here's why I think.

I don't drink wine - it gives me a headache when I drink too much.

Liquor - Gotta go with Jack Daniels

Beer - Coors Light (Mostly cans, but bottles taste better).

I don't go for the fancy or expensive stuff. For me, the taste of expensive beers is too....something, I can't place it. All of my friends love Guinness, but to me it tastes like week old coffee with cigarette butts in it.

NickDBrennan said:
All of my friends love Guinness, but to me it tastes like week old coffee with cigarette butts in it.

Nick, I didn't like at AT ALL when I first tried it. Very bitter and heavy. Now, most beers taste weak and wimpy. :) :cheerio:

Greebo said:
Wine: Boordy Vineyards - Sangria a nice spiced wine - excellent for use as a mulled wine. I'm not big on wine otherwise.

Liquor: Hard to say - but I have a weakness for Snickertini's.

And what is wrong with sex in a canoe?

Wine : Red - Citra Montepullcino ( or however you spell it) cab and pinot noir

Spirits: Makers Mark burbon mmmmmm Vodka Kettle One, Chopin or the real stuff made from potatos from poland non of the mass marketed junk for me ( read absolute)

Beer: Wow there are so many good ones.
Every day can never go wrong serving it at a party beer is Yeungling ( Len and Anthony back me up on this please) No its not a chinese beer.

Special beers: My home made beer is darn good, but there are just so many good ones, Magic Hat, Abita, Guiness, John Courage, Whitbread, Stouds American Pale Ale. oh my there are so many.

Beer: Since moving to Coloarado I've been drinking Fat Tire which is brewed in Fort Collins. If I want something lighter, its been Lion, which is brewed in Celon, Sri Lanka in a former British colonial brewery.

Wine: Whatever I can find that's decent and decently priced. Currently drinking several Spanish wines, that remind me of a Cabernet, but are either Malbecs or Riojas. One is called Protocolo, I forget the others. I will buy South American wines from Chile and Argentina and some Australian. I think the stuff from the Napa and Sonoma valleys is becoming overpriced.

Liquor: I use to be exclusively a Scotch drinker, mostly blended but sometimes one of the better single malts, but now have an occassional Stoli on the rocks. I want to try that Bourbon that Andrew was talking about. I saw it in my local liquor store but haven't taken the plunge yet.

RE: Yeungling. After college, when I was starting my career (had very little money) in of all places, Harrisburg, PA, we use to buy Yeungling for $5.00 per case. It was considered a notch down from Schmidt's of Philadelphia (the beer you'd occassionally find a rat in). And one of the many local PA beers like Gibbons, Stegmeir, Iron City, Stoneys (which is actually pretty good), that beer brewed in St. Mary's, PA which I forget the name, which is also pretty good and Rolling Rock which is now owned my Labatts, but still brewed in Latrobe. Still with me?

Anyway, Yeungling of Pottsville (not Pottstown), PA is the oldest continously operated brewery in the U.S. and some marketing genious hooked up with the Yeungling brothers (not Ringling Brothers, but there is a sucker born every minute as you shall see) and the changed the labels and came out with a few new "Yuppie" style beers, Yeungling Lager and Yeungling Black and Tan. Now ya gotta remember, up until the early 90's or so, nobody heard of this beer outside of PA coal country or maybe Central PA. Now its marketed and sold as a "boutique" beer all over the country. Everywhere I go in the U.S. has Yeungling. The moral of the story is that marketing works, but Yeungling did become a good product and I do enjoy it on occassion. Still gets me going though. Sorry for the rant.

Last edited:
astanley said:

I'll start.

Wine - toss up. L'Ecole No 41 Apogee Cab Sauv - from Walla Walla Valley in Washington State - is pretty damn sexy. However, Castallare's I Sodi di San Niccolò (94) is a blast, but that is only because we drank that bottle of wine after Jessie and I got engaged.

Spirits - Bourbon. I like Scotch, but for the dollar, the flavor, and the texture, you can't beat Bourbon. I generally drink Basil Hayden's.

Beer - Magic Hat's Fat Angel *or* Miller High Life. It's the champagne of beers.

So what do people drink?

Cheers,

-Andrew

Fosters in the oil can almost frozen. Corona

Wine: Schmitt Sohne Zeller Schwartz Katz, Fat Bastard

spirits: Cruzan Rum, Crown Royal - But Im really more of a mixed drink type. Rum and diet coke, Kamikazies, Tom Collins.

Wine: too many to pick out anything, except maybe the 8 bottles of 1982 Chateau Margaux that I still have in my cellar.

Scotch - single malts from Islay

Beer - Victory Hop Devil, brewed locally in Downingtown, PA -- serious pale ale.

Which somehow reminds me of two bumper stickers I saw many years back:

Beer. It's not just for breakfast anymore!

I killed a six-pack just to watch it die...

RotaryWingBob said:
Beer - Victory Hop Devil, brewed locally in Downingtown, PA -- serious pale ale.

Which somehow reminds me of two bumper stickers I saw many years back:

Beer. It's not just for breakfast anymore!

I killed a six-pack just to watch it die...

Some of Victorys' beers are like a meal. I like most of them, but the Hop Devil is a little to hoppy for me. Downingtown? Where's that? :)

Greebo said:
Wine: Boordy Vineyards - Sangria a nice spiced wine - excellent for use as a mulled wine. I'm not big on wine otherwise......

Boordy! YESSSS.

I stopped by there during a driving trip last year and ended up packing my trunk with a few cases. I may even have a couple of bottles left :)

Wine: a good pinot noir. Preference is Dole (Swiss).

Liquor: Ketel One vodka

Beer: Corona in a glass with about an inch of Bloody Mary mix.

astanley said:

I'll start.

Depends on the occasion. I say red wine is the only real wine - but Champagne is right for some occasions. But I won't quote the famous line from Sideways here. I like the Rose Champagne Laurent-Perrier or Perrier-Jouet. Red wine varies by occasion, Aussie Shiraz reserve and wines from around Beaune, France are probably the best, but I try and match to food.

Single malt Scotch. Really, really good Grappa for a digestive. The Basil Hayden's is good bourbon.

Guinness. In Ireland, of course. Or Heiniken, in the Netherlands. Or most really local microbrews.

Guinness is no good outside of Eire.

Always partial to the heavy reds for wine but Fume Blanc and Gaa-verts-a-meener (forgive my spelling) are good when properly chilled. 'Round here there are so many dang wineries I could try a different varietal each night for a year and wouldn't get through them all.

7&7 my call of choice, probably from all those days in the sun on the aft deck.

Other than it be at the proper temp I don't have a preference for beer. Well, that and it doesn't taste like cat **** like some of those Mexican beers.

Richard said:
Other than it be at the proper temp I don't have a preference for beer. Well, that and it doesn't taste like cat **** like some of those Mexican beers.

How do you know what cat**** tastes like? :rofl:

I'm pretty much a beer snob. Most of the microbrews aren't bad, depending on the time of year. I make my own, too, although I've been out for a while and have yet to get the stuff out for another.

Generally, Sam Adams is a good all around beer. I go for IPA's or Corona in the summer time. Stouts and porters in the winter time. Ales anytime.

Scotch if I have to drink something harder. A good bourbon once in a very great while but I gotta be in the mood.

Wine: white: chardonnay w/slightly oaky flavor; red: cabs or merlot, but only with a smooth finish. Don't know much about the various wineries, but I know what I like, or don't, when I taste it.

Beer: Red Hook Chinook Ale! If any of you know someone in charge up there in Washington, please tell Red Hook to export it out of the northwest!! Bass & Killians ok too.

Spirits: Single malt scotch on the rocks (works wonders after a frustrating day at work, come to think of it, the last bottle's almost empty...;) ), or Vodka & tonic w/lime (Absolute or Stoli).

Jeff

Carol said:
How do you know what cat**** tastes like? :rofl:

Don't know what cat**** tastes like, but I know cats taste like chicken. :)

Greebo said:
Carolyn,

I'll be happy to accept delivery on any Le Fin Du Monde you choose to send to me. PM me for my mailing address. B)

There's always flying to some place mutually inconvenient to make the exchange. I don't suppose that's still considered "bootlegging" is it? :cheerio:

Carolyn (east bound and down, loaded up and truckin'... )

Wine: Fiore Vineyard's Scarlette is my first choice, the second is Boordy's Wassail (absolutely wonderful warmed and served around a camp fire on a cool night)

Spirits: I love bourbon. Though I have been enjoying Jameson lately...served neat!

Beer: Have I mentioned I love bourbon? Though I will pour a dark beer into a batch of bread now and then!

Wonder if I have a bottle of something open?...*patters off to the wine rack*

Anthony said:

EEEEWWWWWWW

Anthony said:

I've done a lot of things but I've never tasted...well, there was that one time when I, aw, you don't want to hear about THAT.

Wine: Whatever my Mother in Law serves at dinners at her house. My wife is allergic to sulphites, so we don't have it at home.

Liquor: Mostly Seagrams VO Gold, But I really like good Estonian Vodka, and a Russian brand called Russian Standard, served so cold it's thick. I think it's only available in former USSR States.

Beer: I second the Stella Artois. Not hard to find around here.

Carol said:
Beer: Corona in a glass with about an inch of Bloody Mary mix.

mmmmmmm.....red beers, my favorite!:cheers:

Badger Mountain Chardonnay :cheerio:

Moose Drool Ale, Fat Tire, Boddington's - strong preference for brown ale, and put me in a microbrew bar, watch out! There's a place in Vail called the Kaltenburg Castle...

Last edited:
JohnL said:
Badger Mountain Chardonnay :cheerio:

Badger Mountain and its bottled in Tri-Cities? That's sacrilege!!!

Badger Mountain isn't anywhere NEAR Kennewick.

Wine........................

Pindar either 2001 Johannisberg Reisling Ice Wine
or Spring Splender (Long Island, NY)
Jo Reisling has always been a fav of mine. I have been exploring Shiraz, I find Yellow tail a little young, but I am still looking

www.pindar.net

Scotch

#1 Lagavulin

#2 Talisker

Beer

Tap

#1 Blue point ESB (extra special bitters) cask condition
#2 Smithwicks
#3 Guinness

Bottle

Mackerson xxx stout
Murphys Irish stout

Eamon :wine: :martini: :cheerio: :wine: :martini: :cheerio: :wine: :martini: :cheerio:

Last edited:
astanley said:

I'll start.

So what do people drink?

Cheers,

-Andrew

Neat: The Dalmore or Cutty 12 scotch, Bombay Saphire, Wild Turkey 100 Rye, plus Henry's Ale (no ice) plus strawberry daquiris, chianti... usually separately, but if necessary all together, you know, like God intended.

Kaye said:
mmmmmmm.....red beers, my favorite!:cheers:

KAYE! You made it! Good to see you here! :dance:

Richard said:
I've done a lot of things but I've never tasted...well, there was that one time when I, aw, you don't want to hear about THAT.

Carol/Richard,

Ever been to a Chinese restaurant? :)

Back