Windy landings

Mike Schneider said:
What are your thoughts on this technique?

I don't like it much. If the crosswind is so strong that you need that angle to maintain control, you've given up any safety margin you have left, both in terms of extra control authority and space to give up on the downwind side -- one extra bit of gust and you're off the edge. IMO, if you can't control it tracking the centerline, keep the nosewheel on the ground and take it back to the hangar.

Crosswind Landing
1. Start ~200 feet parallel to the runway on the downwind side

Same goes for the landing technique -- no margin for error, so if you need this, then go to another airport with a runway better aligned with the wind. If you're curving or angling the approach, you won't know until the last second if you'll have enough control authority to land in a proper slip, and that's not the time to find out about that.

bbchien said:
The old guy running the place looked up and me and said, "you landed in that?!" which was NOT a compliment.
Ron and Ken's comment go back to my post about Lincoln, ME. It's the judgement thing that that gets us. That one happened not to have snagged me. But it coulda. And if you keep doing it, it will.

Mike Schneider said:

-- Mike Schneider in Tallahassee

Don't really like it. If you are that marginal on controlability you need to execute an entirely different plan, playing to very edges is rarely a good idea. Where does your plan leave you for a margin of error or a strong veering gust? Now you're screwed, accellerating, and you've already given up your safety margin by lining up on that angle to begin with. I'd find another option or park the plane if the wind was actually that strong.

Mike Schneider said:

Mike;

The ideal sound interesting but when it is howling outside I will just leave the plane in the hanger and wait for another day. For landings and I have done this a few times in my flying life, I go to an airport with the wind close to the runway heading, tie down the plane and spend the night. :(

John J

Back