Windshield Replacement

Rob58

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
Getting ready to order a new windshield and I am expecting a fair amount of trimming and fitting will be required. I'm really worried about cracking the plexiglass and want to be prepared with the right tools for the job. Main question is this: can I use a heat gun (very carefully) to soften the plastic in order to make minor adjustments to the fit? Any comments or experience with this process from those that have done this before? Thanks for the help!

PS - planning to order from LP Aero Plastics... any quality feedback on this company?

can I use a heat gun
No. Just be sure you do it on a warm day or heated hangar.

Here are some tips but your mechanic may have a few of his own too:
Use old window as rough pattern on new window.
Leave protective film on window except pull back at edges to trim.
Index new window to airframe prior to trim and always line up index marks each time remove/install.
Use masking tape/grease pencil to mark trim lines.
Use plexiglass drill bits or uni-bit to drill holes.
Bevel/break/sand all edges and slightly counter sink all holes.

LP good but no different than others in my experience. Some just provide better instructions/support than others.

Last edited:
When I replaced my windshields using Great Lakes Aero product I didn't need any fitting, just some edge beveling to ease slipping into the track. Both halves fit as supplied. I ordered the left half with a pre-drilled hole for the OAT thermometer.

Warmth is your friend for applying the sealing tape and foam.
If your glare shield or eyebrow needs any work NOW is the time to do it.

It always helps to mention the make, model and year of the aircraft being discussed in case someone has specific expertise in that aircraft.

Back