Windows VISTA?

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
I heard a report between 2:30 -3:00pm, yesterday, that Microsoft, because of insufficient interest and sell-through of VISTA, is going to QUIT production of VISTA, and that all attention will revert to Windows XP.
I've seen nothing in print to back-up said report; and WBZ Radio(Boston) is a top-notch media outlet.

Does anyone know anything about the matter?

This is not a troll.

HR

Delayed April Fools Joke?

Edit: Or, possibly, they misunderstood the announcement of discontinued support for XP in 2008?

I highly doubt they are going to give up Vista. I have a pretty decent OEM relationship with Microsoft and if they were going to drop a product I don't see how I wouldn't know.

Dell is bringing back Windows XP on some (most) of their consumer computers. Vista will still be available--you'll just have an option between the two. I suspect someone on the radio was getting a little carried away. I've been wrong before--but I really do not think Microsoft is giving up on Vista.

The company I work for manufacturers computers and we have yet to sell a single system with Vista.

Last edited:
I kind of doubt Microsoft would throw away millions of dollars they have spent on Vista.

The company I work for manufacturers computers and we have yet to sell a single system with Vista.

As I noted, my post was not a troll. However, your statement(above) is indicative of the "alleged" reception Microsoft has been getting, according to the phrasing in the report I heard. ???????????????

HR

Wishful thinking. MS won't abandon Vista. They'll turn up the heat to force users to convert when they think it's safer.

I think I've read it is poorest performing OS release in MS history. They're shipping lots of OEM copies but for retail full and upgrade versions, where customer shave a choice, it's the worse seller ever. And as above enough customers have demanded it Dell now how XP as a build option. Time was MS wouldn't allow that.

The hardware makers love Microsoft because otherwise customers would have no reason to buy the current hardware they're selling.

Last edited:
As I noted, my post was not a troll. However, your statement(above) is indicative of the "alleged" reception Microsoft has been getting, according to the phrasing in the report I heard. ???????????????

HR

My conversations with Microsoft regarding Vista have not been positive to say the least. But we serve a different market than most computer manufactures. Most of our systems are built for industrial environments ranging from factory automation to medical equipment.

:blueplane: In a way, I hope you're right... I just bought a new computer laptop and it came with Vista... I am going to have to reformat the harddrive since I put some older programs on it and now things don't work right now on thise new expensive computer.. AFter I reformat, I shall not use older programs on it... obviously, it is a baby and trained to puke on the old programs.. a message from Gates that we need to purchase new programs.

The old XP Office, Excell, FRont Page do not work well on the new Vista... and the new Office Word documents aren't accepted by the old Word program.. If documents are saved out in the old format, they are.. but not in the new default format..

So Vista must be progress.. NOT..

I heard a report between 2:30 -3:00pm, yesterday, that Microsoft, because of insufficient interest and sell-through of VISTA, is going to QUIT production of VISTA, and that all attention will revert to Windows XP.
I've seen nothing in print to back-up said report; and WBZ Radio(Boston) is a top-notch media outlet.

Does anyone know anything about the matter?

This is not a troll.

HR

We certainly haven't put it on anything or ordered pc's with it
in my dept. Can't afford to deal with all the incompatibilities. If
I could find a terminal emulation program to connect to our
iSeries I'd start putting Linux pc's out.

I put Vista on the new machine I built the beginning of February. I don't see much in it that would make me go out and upgrade and existing machine that was running on XP (like, I don't see anything that would make me want to upgrade). And I'm having trouble with older software not loading. Two prime examples are the software that came with my Epson RX600 scanner/printer and my Intel Network Storage System. Fortunately the OS will recognize a request from the scanner and will take the image being scanned, but I don't seem to have any control over how it does it. My older machine running XP Home Edition can run the Epson program and gives me much more flexibility. Without the software for the NSS, I can't do automatic incremental backups each night like my XP machines can. And, the backup utility in Vista won't work with it. I can copy files, but doing a full backup takes hours on a 100BaseT network. I'm going to have to upgrade my router/switch to 1000BaseT so the computer and NSS can talk to each other at full speed.

Bottom line - if you have XP, KEEP IT. If you're building a new machine, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

I purchased a new laptop from Dell and stayed with XP. In talking with several folks, they had reservations and I didn't need the extra features Vista was touting, but mostly, I just didn't need issues--I'm busy enough. I was told there were network issues, backward compatiblity stuff and several other complaints. I can upgrade later; once at least SP1 or 2 are out.

Best,

Dave

I think I've read it is poorest performing OS release in MS history. They're shipping lots of OEM copies but for retail full and upgrade versions, where customer shave a choice, it's the worse seller ever. And as above enough customers have demanded it Dell now how XP as a build option. Time was MS wouldn't allow that.
Worse than Bob?

I purchased a new Dell laptop with Vista for work. I do several PP presentations and two of them have videos in them. When I play the videos I only get sound. Dell told me to update the drivers and that ''MAY" fix it. You would think that a $1700.00 laptop wouldn't need FIXING straight out of the box. This will be my last Dell.

That made me laugh so hard.

"You have entered your password incorrectly 3 times. Would you like Bob to reset your password for you?"
Did Microsoft hire Bob from Accountemps to assist in Vista? :)

Never buy the "A" model of anything. My next computer purchase is slated for a year from now (daughter going to college) and the jury is out on whether it'll be XP or Vista. Maybe with Vista SP2......

Never buy the "A" model of anything. My next computer purchase is slated for a year from now (daughter going to college) and the jury is out on whether it'll be XP or Vista. Maybe with Vista SP2......

Macbook. It'll be what all the cool kids have.

Fixed it for ya.

That'd make sense. Except for the fact that even a two year old kid can install windows on it and run it natively with NO emulation. It works good--really--I've done it.

Back