Windows update; clicking on links

JOhnH

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
My computer (Windows 10) updated itself a few weeks ago.

Prior to that, I would move my cursor to a link and click and it would open the link.

Now I find that I have to click the link several times before it works. It seems to do a little better if I hover the cursor directly over the center of the link and pause for a second or two before clicking. At first I suspected a virus. It may still be a virus but I ran a custom* scan and it found nothing.

Is there a setting for this?

* "Custom" is another gripe of mine. The virus scan options are "quick", "Full" or "Custom". I always used to pick "full". In years past that took hours but for the past few years it has been finishing in minutes. I figured they just improved it, or that my newer computer is just that much faster. Or that my SSD was speeding it up. Or "all of the above". But this time I chose "custom" and it gave a bunch of options with only ONE of them highlighted. I chose all of the options and the scanner ran for about 6 hours and found nothing.

I assume the mouse clicks work for other programs? If so, that tends to rule out the mouse driver, the software built into the BIOS and/or operating system that translates the electrical signals from the mouse into a message for the program.

Does the issue happen on other browsers? I think Microsoft edge is based on at least some of the same code as chrome, so edge showing the issue may not tell us much. I'm looking to see if it is chrome, or the web browser is waiting for a response from the site that the links points to. Maybe the network is slow, maybe something is causing a lot of traffic thus delaying the response to your clicks.

Last edited:
Not sure, but if you look at the release notes for the most recent update, Microsoft released it wit two major problems: in come computers it deleted certificates and in some computers running chkdsk /f would corrupt the drive so that the computer would not boot. I have a couple of friends that reported issues with Chrome after the update (can't tell whether this is a result of MS moving to a Chrome code base for Edge).

MS has really *****ed the pooch by implementing a system that does not alert and give folks time to do a full backup before automatically installing updates. It also point out the reason that one should always defer updates until these kinds of bugs are resolved.

I assume the mouse clicks work for other programs? If so, that tends to rule out the mouse driver, the software built into the BIOS and/or operating system that translates the electrical signals from the mouse into a message for the program.

Does the issue happen on other browsers? I think Microsoft edge is based on at least some of the same code as chrome, so edge showing the issue may not tell us much. I'm looking to see if it is chrome, or the web browser is waiting for a response from the site that the links points to. Maybe the network is slow, maybe something is causing a lot of traffic this delaying the response to your clicks.
If MS modified and/or overwrote some shared files with Edge, it could well screw up an existing Chrome install.

Try another browser to try to isolate it to chrome.

Clear Chrome's cache. Worth doing for any browser weirdness.
Clear Chrome's cookies - you will lose saved passwords, site settings.

I got a new mouse some months ago and it stopped clicking reliably after a short time. Feels fine, sounds fine, just not enough clicks:)

Merry Christmas.

I just tried MS EDGE for the first time. At first look, almost all of my performance problems have gone away. The browser snaps when I click.

edit: (and I haven't even posted it yet). When I tried to post by clicking the "post reply" button; nothing happened. I'll try it again.

It worked well the second time, and it has been working well on other sites too. I guess I'll stick with Edge till it starts messing up too.

I just tried MS EDGE for the first time. At first look, almost all of my performance problems have gone away. The browser snaps when I click.

edit: (and I haven't even posted it yet). When I tried to post by clicking the "post reply" button; nothing happened. I'll try it again.

The “new” edge is just Chrome with added security and spyware features that feed MS instead of Google. It’s Chomium plus Microsoft’s usual “embrace, extend, then kill” methodology. Ha.

If one “Chrome” is working better than another one is corrupted or has a crap plug in installed that the other doesn’t. Factory default it and clear all caches and disconnect it from whatever accounts it knows about and it’ll speed right back up 99% of the time.

Also on domain joined corporate machines all of the useful security features of new Edge are deleted / disabled unless the organization pays considerable “enterprise licensing” monthly per user to MSFT. Cant even share bookmarks across devices with it on a corporate Microsoft account.

Browsers are just crap. There’s not much other way to put it. LOL Total garbage.

Even Brave caved in to needing mooooooney. Go figure. Ha. So brave. Haha.

Both Chrome and Firefox have long-term support versions that not only allow companies to hold back a few versions (still with security bugs patched) but allow configuration of a significant amount of the built in spyware to make them palatable to businesses that simply can’t allow internal browsers to feed the data gathering beasts.

Most people don’t realize those versions exist nor that they can use them and configure the junk with a text file.

Oh. Edge has no such option. Just “pay up” and we’ll activate the features a company security dept needs.

Nope. The automation is set to remove it the second it shows up on machines until they don’t want a five figure number per year to control security settings. Deleted. Bye.

Back