Windows 8.1 Issues

I don't know so much that it improves performance so much as I just hate the tiled interface.

I actually disabled or uninstalled some of what I did when I first got the machine and am only using Classic Shell at this point (and the 8.1 upgrade, which said upgrade took about eight hours -- they throttle the download, apparently).

The other stuff was purely visual (Aero-like stuff, mainly) and occasionally caused some flickering of windows when I moved them, resized them, etc. In the end, I found that Classic Shell does what I need all by itself.

BitDefender has always had a good reputation, but my current favorite antivirus is ESET NOD32. I've been using it with excellent success for more than two years now. They all have their golden age, though. I've sworn by others in the past.

-Rich

Ok thanks.

Yeah I'm not crazy about the tiles either (on a non-touch screen). On my wife's Samsung Ativ tablet, it's not too bad. Although I rarely use it.

I've done numerous 8-to-8.1 updates... they didn't take long at all. But, still don't like the "start screen button" or whatever they're calling it... Classic Shell or Start Menu 8 still needed.
We like many of the anti-virus products out there, including the Free Microsoft product... but I'm beginning to tell clients they should behave as if they have NO protection, no matter what they use. Since the bad-guys now target YOU, the anti-virus products will not protect you if you are tricked into clicking anything...

Since my desktop machine will now be dedicated to running flightsims and my son's train sim ONLY, I think I'm going to ditch the Internet and anti-virus programs altogether.

Occasionally, I'll probably need Internet access to download patches and updates. Guess I could download them on my laptop and transfer them to the desktop via USB flash drive.

Is there a way to run an anti-virus program from a flash drive without installing it?

There are many "portable" versions of Anti-Virus out there. "portable" is the term used to indicate they can be run (& updated) from a flash drive. Just google "portable" anti-virus... some normal products can be made to run "portable".

If you do the 8 to 8.1 update, the consensus seems to be that it's important to update whatever "apps" are already installed before doing the upgrade. That's just based on stuff posted here and there on the Interwebz, though. I have no particular expertise on the subject.

-Rich

I'll look into the "portable" Anti-virus programs. Maybe even my BitDefender can be run as such. That would be great for the limited times I'll need internet access. I'm attempting to run this PC as lean as possible.

I just read some good reviews of Win8 performance with flight sims and other games. Others have reported better performance and stability over Win7 (although 7-64 bit has been the best thus far).

Thanks Tim and Rich.

Did a clean install of Windows 8.1 64-bit and everything is running great so far.
Win 7 wasn't bad at all but I did get an occasional lockup/freeze.

I'm running X-Plane 10 and using my iPad with WingX Pro, via wifi.

So, because I must be connected to the same wireless network that we use for our other tablets and laptops, I decided to install BitDefender on this PC after all.
This antivirus has a 'game mode' which is supposed to improve performance over the regular settings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    693.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Did a clean install of Windows 8.1 64-bit and everything is running great so far.
Win 7 wasn't bad at all but I did get an occasional lockup/freeze.

I'm running X-Plane 10 and using my iPad with WingX Pro, via wifi.

So, because I must be connected to the same wireless network that we use for our other tablets and laptops, I decided to install BitDefender on this PC after all.
This antivirus has a 'game mode' which is supposed to improve performance over the regular settings.

Nice setup. I didn't realize you were such a geek. :D

-Rich

I dodged the Windows 8 OS as long as possible, but I finally had to get a laptop for my wife. Besides the never ending updates, it's actually been OK. We'll know more as we reinstall programs.

Nice setup. I didn't realize you were such a geek. :D

-Rich

hahaha yeah I've been building and tweaking it for years!

The auto-pilot and throttle quadrant (made by GoFlight) isn't visible in the picture but it can be configured for single or multi-engine airplanes, up to 4 engines with flaps and spoiler. I had a forth monitor hooked up for awhile but decided to go back to three + TrackIR.

Wife says one day she's going to open the room door and the walls will be gone (open cockpit):rofl::lol:

Last edited:
Back