Windows 8.1 Issues

ron22

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Ron Hammer
First I hate Windows 8/8.1
It is my wifes computer and it works for her. Well it did.
She had me up grade Java so she could play Pogo. This is in Chrome in desktop mode.
The problem is now IE 11 is acting weird.
It is blocking all pop-ups. This is a problem because it screw with some Facebook games.
It does not work in either Desktop mode or what ever Microsoft call that full screen mode.
I rolled the system back to earlier in the week same problem.
I turned off pop-up blocker.

Any help

Sympathy is about all I can offer. I have Windows 8 also :(.

In 15 seconds you can remove most of what you dislike about Windows 8 - the "metro" interface. Install Start Menu 8 from iobit.com. Or StartisBack.

I'm confused a bit. You either have the "full screen" mode (metro), OR the "Desktop Mode" (traditional, with size-able windows).

There appears to be a lot of problems with Pogo, with discussions on both the Java website, or the Pogo website

If you ask me, you're asking for problems playing games on Facebook.

I got Pogo working a long time ago google did wonders. I just had to update Java.
My wife uses Metro mode. I also tried in Desktop mode. I do now how to switch between the two.
I googled the problem it looks like it might be a security "fix" for internet explorer problem.

Run Malwarebytes to see if you picked up something when you did the upgrade.

Off topi but I just switched to a win7 PC to a MacBook Pro with parallels / boot camp running win 8. I didn't see much of a difference but metro is awful. I also own 2 iOS tablets, A Mac mini, and an android phone.

They all suck in their own ways :)

The problem is actually IE 11. It has some real issues with Java. If you have Win 8, you should be able to downgrade. Win 8.1 you are out of luck. It requires IE 11.

Install chrome?

IE 11 changes the trust chain somehow. Chrome doesn't fix it. It broke a VPN client I use for work and I had to downgrade my Win 7 machine and basically stop using my Win 8.1 machine.

I love windows users. They are so cute.

Hey, Windows is awesome

for the people who make money providing tech support, anti-virus programs, etc

First I hate Windows 8/8.1
It is my wifes computer and it works for her. Well it did.
She had me up grade Java so she could play Pogo. This is in Chrome in desktop mode.
The problem is now IE 11 is acting weird.
It is blocking all pop-ups. This is a problem because it screw with some Facebook games.
It does not work in either Desktop mode or what ever Microsoft call that full screen mode.
I rolled the system back to earlier in the week same problem.
I turned off pop-up blocker.

Any help

Other than a suggestion to stay away from Pogo and Facebook, no, I'm afraid not. I'd make book that if you completely remove those applications and run a good malware scan, the problems will disappear.

-Rich

So I have to tell my wife that has a laptop just to play games on Facebook and Pogo it works fine just do not play Facebook or pogo games :mad2:
Yea that will go over great.
Ok she does do more then games 1 day a month she pays her bills.
She also ready Facebook post but 90% of its use if for the dreaded Candy Crush and others.

Last edited:
So I have to tell my wife that has a laptop just to play games on Facebook and Pogo it works fine just do not play Facebook or pogo games :mad2:
She also ready Facebook post but 90% of its use if for the dreaded Candy Crush and others.

Tell her that you are just the messenger. Blame it on Rich. Throw Rich under that bus.

You don't think the quote, "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!" will go over too well? ;)

If she simply must load that spyware-infested **** from Pogo and FarceBook onto her computer, then here's what you do:

Uninstall the crap, clean up the machine, get it working right, and then clone the hard drive. Then let her re-install the spyware-infested **** you just spent hours getting rid of, confident in the knowledge that when it crashes the system again, all you have to do is swap the drive, re-clone it to and overwrite the messed-up drive, and start all over again.

Also, you mentioned that she uses the laptop once a month to pay bills. Bad idea. As far as I'm concerned, she might as well just drive to Brighton Beach and turn over her checkbook and credit cards to the first guy named Boris, Igor, or Vlad that she bumps into. Do some deep research on Yuri Milner and Digital Sky Technologies if you want to know why.

-Rich

Uninstall the crap, clean up the machine, get it working right, and then clone the hard drive.

That might work except from what I have read doing google searches it is a Window 8.1 IE 11 problem not malware/spyware.

Another option. Load a second copy of Windows in a virtual machine. Use that browser for sketchy stuff. If it gets compromised, delete it and start over. Better yet, copy the virtual machine image after install and keep somewhere else. Reinstall as needed.

It's pretty rare to see malware smart enough to break out of a virtualized machine environment.

That might work except from what I have read doing google searches it is a Window 8.1 IE 11 problem not malware/spyware.

Maybe. But I can tell you that I have Java and IE 11 installed on Windows 8.1, and I've had none of the problems you described. I also declined the Ask toolbar with the integrated FB thingy when I installed Java. (In case you haven't noticed, I have a rather low opinion of FaceBook.)

-Rich

Maybe. But I can tell you that I have Java and IE 11 installed on Windows 8.1, and I've had none of the problems you described. I also declined the Ask toolbar with the integrated FB thingy when I installed Java. (In case you haven't noticed, I have a rather low opinion of FaceBook.)

-Rich

The problems are app specific. You probably aren't trying to do any of the things described, based on your other post :)

The problems are app specific. You probably aren't trying to do any of the things described, based on your other post :)

Okay... how is saying that the problem is "app-specific" different from suggesting that the FB and Pogo apps are the problems? :confused:

-Rich

-Rich

Ok go to facebook and play bejeweled blitz and let me know if it works fully.
This is the only thing that is currently not working.

WTF were they thinking?

Windows 8.1 won't restore the files that were backed up on my old machine.

Rumor has it that you can use 7-zip to unzip the backup files then move the around and...:mad2:

Ok go to facebook and play bejeweled blitz and let me know if it works fully.
This is the only thing that is currently not working.

In the words of Don Corleone, "That I cannot do." I would rather get hernia surgery without anesthesia than open a Facebook account.

-Rich

Rich,
I installed win8 release preview on a desktop hard drive that had win7, and a few flightsims and games. My laptop (that I use for everything else) is running 7.

I did notice that under 8, the boot up was faster.

What I didn't realize is, once you install 8, you cannot revert back to 7. So I wiped the drive (due to the annoying hourly reboots) and reinstalled 7. My son bought the full version of windows 8pro, so I'm tempted to give it a go.

I also noticed better performance in my flightsims, when I uninstalled my anti-virus program. So I think I'll disconnect it from the Internet altogether.

Last edited:
I have a dual core HP desktop; currently, 2 GB of RAM and windows vista home premium.

Would it be worthwhile for me to bump the RAM up to four gig (the most it can hold), and upgrade the operating system to Windows 8? I have plenty of disk space. I could do this with Windows 8 home premium, for around 150 bucks.

I have a dual core HP desktop; currently, 2 GB of RAM and windows vista home premium.

Would it be worthwhile for me to bump the RAM up to four gig (the most it can hold), and upgrade the operating system to Windows 8? I have plenty of disk space. I could do this with Windows 8 home premium, for around 150 bucks.
Go here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

Run the Windows 8.1 Upgrade Advisor.

I've had a Windows Phone since the days of Windows Mobile and the Metro/tiles style that is Windows Phone/Windows 8/RT works great on a mobile touch device in my opinion. I just got a Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet that runs Windows 8.1 and it's great in this form factor.
Windows 8.1 and the Metro/tiles on the desktop PC, meh. I find I just use desktop mode like I always have in previous version of Windows.

Rich,
I installed win8 release preview on a desktop hard drive that had win7, and a few flightsims and games. My laptop (that I use for everything else) is running 7.

I did notice that under 8, the boot up was faster.

What I didn't realize is, once you install 8, you cannot revert back to 7. So I wiped the drive (due to the annoying hourly reboots) and reinstalled 7. My son bought the full version of windows 8pro, so I'm tempted to give it a go.

I also noticed better performance in my flightsims, when I uninstalled my anti-virus program. So I think I'll disconnect it from the Internet altogether.

I love 8 under the hood. It makes a significant difference in productivity for me, especially with the Adobe CC software.

So I like 8. I just hate Metro. But a couple of days' worth of hacks, and that abomination was just a memory -- and I even got my Start Menu back!

I did have the opportunity to give a kid who works for Microsoft an earful about not giving users a choice to use the old desktop. He said he kind of agreed -- probably because he'd been hearing it all day. They had him working the crowd at WalMart trying to move some laptops.

-Rich

I dunno... a lot depends on the processor speed... and I also think 4 GB RAM might be skimpy Also, is it a 32-bit processor and mobo? If the RAM caps out at four, maybe not.

I will say that it rocks on a quad i5. :yes:

-Rich

I love 8 under the hood. It makes a significant difference in productivity for me, especially with the Adobe CC software.

So I like 8. I just hate Metro. But a couple of days' worth of hacks, and that abomination was just a memory -- and I even got my Start Menu back!

I did have the opportunity to give a kid who works for Microsoft an earful about not giving users a choice to use the old desktop. He said he kind of agreed -- probably because he'd been hearing it all day. They had him working the crowd at WalMart trying to move some laptops.

-Rich

So I can disable Metro and I assume that would also give better performance. Cool. What hacks do you recommend? Also, what anti-virus do you like best?

I bought Bit Defender a few months ago but I'm not sure if it offers any real benefit over the 'free' avast that I was using.

Costco is selling a pretty nice HP with 32 GB of memory and other goodies for $899

So I can disable Metro and I assume that would also give better performance. Cool. What hacks do you recommend? Also, what anti-virus do you like best?

I bought Bit Defender a few months ago but I'm not sure if it offers any real benefit over the 'free' avast that I was using.

I don't know so much that it improves performance so much as I just hate the tiled interface.

I actually disabled or uninstalled some of what I did when I first got the machine and am only using Classic Shell at this point (and the 8.1 upgrade, which said upgrade took about eight hours -- they throttle the download, apparently).

The other stuff was purely visual (Aero-like stuff, mainly) and occasionally caused some flickering of windows when I moved them, resized them, etc. In the end, I found that Classic Shell does what I need all by itself.

BitDefender has always had a good reputation, but my current favorite antivirus is ESET NOD32. I've been using it with excellent success for more than two years now. They all have their golden age, though. I've sworn by others in the past.

-Rich

I love windows users. They are so cute.

Well you're better than 'PC' users because you're hip and you spent a bunch of money on a computer so you can browse the web and play on Facebook. One day we'll get hip to the scene, man. :wink2:

I've done numerous 8-to-8.1 updates... they didn't take long at all. But, still don't like the "start screen button" or whatever they're calling it... Classic Shell or Start Menu 8 still needed.
We like many of the anti-virus products out there, including the Free Microsoft product... but I'm beginning to tell clients they should behave as if they have NO protection, no matter what they use. Since the bad-guys now target YOU, the anti-virus products will not protect you if you are tricked into clicking anything...

Back