Windowless Cockpits?

It's fine for commercial planes, where they want to optimize the fuselage shape to save fuel. For my hobby flying, no way. May as well just "fly" using google maps on a phone and save the money

Did the Enterprise have windows? I see windows on the side, but non in the front. Maybe this really is the way of the future

upload_2019-7-3_12-25-3.png

Did the Enterprise have windows? I see windows on the side, but non in the front. Maybe this really is the way of the future

But when Captain Kirk told Mr. Chekov to proceed warp 2 both Mr. Chekov and Mr. Sulu would look forward as if looking out a window...

But when Captain Kirk told Mr. Chekov to proceed warp 2 both Mr. Chekov and Mr. Sulu would look forward as if looking out a window...
That was a view screen, which is similar to what is being proposed in the current project.

Ahhhh... gotcha.... thanks. I have been corrected after many years now...

Were they able to watch their own reruns then.??

The viewscreens were also mutli purpose.. they could make Skype video calls on it, as well as view tech docs, star systems, etc. In many ways... if you think about it purely pragmatically, having a window is a massive use of cockpit real estate that could be better utilized

I mean, honestly, the view from 40,000 ft can get boring, as must the view into the distant black void that probably would otherwise fill the majority of the Enterprise's bridge (con?) window

upload_2019-7-3_12-49-7.png

This is also where Star Wars differed... they were huge fans of big cockpit windows, even on absurdly large ships, seeing them as a staple of the bridge, and relying instead on those holographic things for their skype calls and communications. Which was, incidentally, peculiar to me that we have a ship the sizes of small moons that can traverse millions of light years instantly, yet the holographic projections were chronically poor in quality

upload_2019-7-3_12-51-13.png

This is also where Star Wars differed... they were huge fans of big cockpit windows, even on absurdly large ships, seeing them as a staple of the bridge, and relying instead on those holographic things for their skype calls and communications.
I'm guessing that Star Destroyers had much shorter weapons range than UFP starships. And they didn't rely on target locks like Starfleet. However, Storm Troopers were such bad shots that the windows may as well be opaque.

ebe56685cd343feb227ef5dc3be43a51.gif

Yes, and because the original series was shot on film and not video cameras, they will be able to watch themselves in high def! (I say "will be" able to because the 24th century isn't here yet. ;))

Back