Window Crack

Skymac

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Justin
Have a side window with a crack coming from the side of a snap vent. It has been drilled and never got any larger, but the crack is about 4” long. Anyone have any repair tips? It’s on a Decathlon so removing the glass isn’t happening without a recover I believe. It just bugs me. I was thinking a thin strip of plexiglass and use acrylic glue to bond it. Doubting I would have any luck just gluing the crack?

This was not on an airplane but I successfully bonded two pieces of plexi by coating each surface with a thin layer of paint stripper then pressing them together.
Pretty sure you wouldn't want to do this on an airplane but it's a data point.

Have a side window with a crack coming from the side of a snap vent. It has been drilled and never got any larger, but the crack is about 4” long. Anyone have any repair tips? It’s on a Decathlon so removing the glass isn’t happening without a recover I believe. It just bugs me. I was thinking a thin strip of plexiglass and use acrylic glue to bond it. Doubting I would have any luck just gluing the crack?

I’m thinking that the repair will bother you more than what you’ve got. I flew my Maule for 10+ years with such cracks. Properly drilled, no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was thinking a thin strip of plexiglass and use acrylic glue to bond it.
Use the steps in AC43.13.1B, Ch.3. Sect. 3, Para. 3-24 and repair it with a patch using acrylic glue. Don't forget to stop drill the crack prior to repair. If done right the repair will be hardly noticeable. FYI: just stop drilling is considered a temporary repair. Will still need a sign-off on the repair whether you consider it preventative maintenance or not.

Back