Wind Direction equipment, High dreams, and mountain tops

Not that I could personally match it, but my Piper Warrior's POH shows a landing roll at 5000 MSL under STP conditions of about 700 feet. A light sport should do much better.

What matters to the OP is takeoff distance, on gravel/grass, not landing distance, which is typically significantly less.

I owned a Warrior for 4 years, and know that I easily could have landed, and taken off in 1400' at 5000 altitude.
In fact was into and out of shorter dirt strips, at 6800' altitude regularly.

Remember the OP is going to be flying an LSA with his Sport License. A Piper Cub might just do the trip with a 1600' grass strip at 5000. What say any piper cub owners?

What matters to the OP is takeoff distance, on gravel/grass, not landing distance, which is typically significantly less.
The Warrior POH performance charts indicate, on an STP day at 5000 MSL, no wind, at 2100 lbs (90% MGW), a normal short field takeoff requires a 1400 foot ground roll. This is on pavement. I'm guessing many light sports can do as well or better on grass or gravel.

Maybe someone with a bona fide light sport could check the performance charts?

Ok.. So I have 160 acres on top of a mountain.

The prevailing wind direction/speed has been done for you!

Check out “windhistory.com”. Sorry that it may not be location specific enough for you, but if you can interpolate the data, you may get useful data. Everything is on the web! Well, almost everything…. -Skip

I just saw that @wayneda40 already posted a link to this website. Sorry for the duplicate!

-Skip

Last edited:
Maybe someone with a bona fide light sport could check the performance charts?
Only have sea level data in my book, and I would argue that the numbers came from marketing and not flight test, but if you can get out with a Piper...

upload_2022-6-10_14-15-13.png

1) if this is for planning which direction the runway should be I think the suitability of the land, trees, approach, etc. would take precidence.

2) Do you live at the cabin full time? If not, then maybe a wi fi remote readable is what you need so you can see what weather is before you fly there or drive to the cabin to take the plane out.
45.321084,-118.80169. Makes sense.. it's pretty clear, but some possibilities for advantage
I am thinking I should have twice the take off length than needed...

Anyone in Oregon want to test land? :).. 45.321084,-118.80169.. it's rouph right now. Still need to plot grade and level. Going to Florida in October to get my sport. Still need to identify a plane. I suspect I need to fly several to know what I like...

Back