Will used avionics prices come down because of Harvey?

cgrab

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
cgrab
Today on Bloomberg they were discussing car prices and that Hurricane Harvey will act like a mini "Cash-for-clunkers" as insurance companies pay to buy new cars. That got me thinking, I've read that lots of planes have been damaged by collapsing hangars around Texas. As those planes go to salavge, there may be a glut on used avionics-assuming they are retrieved from physically damaged planes and not waterlogged. Any thoughts?

I don't think there are that many damaged pales in Texas....
What are you thinking? Thousands of planes are damaged? I am thinking maybe a few.

I saw pictures of rows of hangars colapsed. Maybe the same row from different angles.

Hard to know exactly how many aircraft are destroyed at this point. Case in point, next to a row of demolished hangars was an untouched one. I suspect that destroyed aircraft will have untrustworthy avionics.

Once the water hits there's usually not much that can be saved, and the coastal storm surges at places like Port Aransas will have been saltwater or brackish I would imagine.

I saw a Bonanza wreck that ended up in a catfish pond after an engine failure. Parts of the airframe were reusable but the electrics, avionics, gyros, etc were toast after that fishing expedition.

Last edited:
In short, no. A high percentage of them probably have low end (outdated) avionics anyway. There is no shortage of old radios.

If a lot of pride, joy, and money was in the airplane, it was flown out of harm's way, except for a few that were in maintenance (disabled) etc.

The used car market will surely be flooded with gems.

the only sector that will benefit will be the homebuilt market as there will be a glut of core engines available, however, i will bet the prices of cores will not come down, only the number of available engine will rise.

bob

Back