Will toys get cheaper as Boomers age out and move to the home?

My perception is that there are a lot of 70-80 yr. olds with some neat stuff, boats, planes and RVs.

Just a nit...80 year-olds are not boomers. Boomers are post WWII babies...starts in 1946...i.e. 73ish is the top age.

I heard an article the other day on the "okay boomer" phrase. Some old fart sent the show an email trying to defend boomers and he/she said that without the boomers we wouldn't have the clean air act, the equal rights act, etc. LMAO...boomers weren't in charge yet then. Good try though.

boomers = the most selfish generation to grace this planet. And, I hate to admit, I am one...barely...born in one of the last years of the me-first generation.

Last edited:
And this just in!

but, hey...we still like to PRETEND we're better and tougher and smarter than all subsequent generations!

Baby boomers are the most sensitive generation, a new study says — and it shows exactly what the world is getting wrong about millennials
Hillary Hoffower

Dec 15, 2019, 8:41 AM

Millennials are known for being sensitive, but society may be applying the label to the wrong generation.

Turns out, older generations are more hypersensitive than younger generations, a new study published in the journal Psychology and Aging found. This suggests that millennials (those ages 23 to 38) are less sensitive than baby boomers (those ages 55 to 73), Business Insider's Julia Naftulin reported.

The researchers defined "hypersensitivity" as being unreceptive to others' feedback and lashing out at any criticism toward one's self, Naftulin wrote.

The study — the largest on narcissism to date — examined six previously collected data sets that included nearly 750 people ages 13 to 77 to better understand how narcissistic traits vary among generations and how levels of narcissism change as people age. It examined both generational and individual trends in narcissistic behaviors, unlike previous studies on narcissism that focused on only one or the other, according to Naftulin.

Narcissistic personality disorder, according to the Mayo Clinic, is a mental state that involves an inflated sense of self-importance, a need for excessive attention and admiration, a lack of empathy, and low self-esteem vulnerable to criticism. These traits exist on a spectrum and can exist even if the person doesn't have the disorder.

Researchers found that as people in the study aged, they became less sensitive, with hypersensitivity sharply declining at age 40. But when they looked at generation-specific trends, they found that younger generations were less sensitive than their parents.

Millennials have a reputation as 'snowflakes'
The findings are the opposite of how many people view millennials.

In a 2017 interview with Forbes, Neil Howe, a generational expert, said that news organizations often referred to millennials as "generation snowflake," a disparaging term for being sheltered, politically correct, and sensitive.

While this stereotype has "kernels of truth," Howe said, the criticism paints a distorted picture. "To focus just on these traits in a negative way typically leads to associated claims about millennials that have no basis in fact," he said. "And it tempts us to overlook genuine millennial strengths that will likely hugely benefit our country in the years to come."

For example, millennials are generally earnest, positive, accepting of others, and optimistic, qualities that have greater influence in the long run, the Time magazine reporter Joel Stein wrote in a 2013 cover story exploring the stereotype of millennials as lazy and entitled.

Baby boomers, he said, are known as the "Me Generation," but they produced millennials, the "Me Me Me Generation." He found that there was a much bigger picture beyond the stereotype.

"A generation's greatness," he wrote, is determined "by how they react to the challenges that befall them," and, "just as important, by how we react to them."

Well, you can believe one article, or you can believe thousands of first hand experiences happening daily over a period of years. There are exceptions to every rule, of course, but the assertion that a typical boomer is more selfish and self-centered than a typical millennial is just absolute nonsense.

An article that summarizes a scientific study. My own observations indicate that young people are just as hard working as their parents and grandparents, and that most boomers are just as good as anyone else, but there are definitely boomers who are entitled jerks.

I don't know how those "scientific studies" were done, but I would posit that a great deal of the "data" was gathered through interviews and questionnaires. If there was ever a generation that excelled and revelled in presenting themselves as they would like to appear rather than as they truly are, it's millennials.

Last edited:
I think the biggest fallacy of the boomer argument is that boomers compare the 50 or 60 year-old version of themselves to the 20 to 30 year-old version of subsequent generations and say "yeah, my generation is harder working." LMAO.

While this may be true...your generation WASN'T harder working when they were 20 year-old. I was a lot harder working and focused at 50 than I was at 20. It's called GROWING UP! And everyone I know and grew up with was the same with the exception of true farm boys. The kids I work with today have a similar motivation level as I did at their age...maybe better.

okay boomer(s)...yeah, you're better than everyone else, we Got it! You've been saying it for 15...20 years now.

Last edited:
I have to laugh at the blogs whining that older people hold the majority of assets in the country, just how much stuff do they think they had when they were young and dumb? I know basically everything my parents own has taken 3/4 of a lifetime to pay for.

Cowowker and his family are dealing with inheriting the parents farm now, not a MASSIVE chunk of cash when split three ways but its still a lot.

Last edited:
I have to laugh at the blogs whining that older people hold the majority of assets in the country, just how much stuff do they think they had when they were young and dumb? I know basically everything my parents own has taken 3/4 of a lifetime to pay for.

For many, wealth accumulation happens at a seemingly exponential rate. When you're young, you may have student loans, a car payment, a mortgage payment, children, and have to buy all of the items required to fill up your new house. One day, all of that stuff is behind you and you have a lot more discretionary income to save/invest. Which is why old people have all of the money.

For many, wealth accumulation happens at a seemingly exponential rate. When you're young, you may have student loans, a car payment, a mortgage payment, children, and have to buy all of the items required to fill up your new house. One day, all of that stuff is behind you and you have a lot more discretionary income to save/invest. Which is why old people have all of the money.

And if you sacrificed even a little in your 20's and invested not even a big % of your income you find in your 50's that it's done "fair" :D I started with $50 a month when I made $12K a year. Sometimes that was a stretch goal.

This is true. and it's not "seems to". if you invest every year, don't try to time the market, and invest in stock funds, you will see exponential returns (doubling every 7-9 years, not including your new contributions over that time). that said. Gen X (remember us, no, of course not) and those younger essentially have never seen a pension, unless you work for the government. While many boomers didn't either, MANY boomers had a chance at a pension.

(TLDR - lots of data from a disaffected Gen X'er having a midlife crisis, feel free to skip if you don't like gobs of stats)

While the level of luxury we enjoy now is so much higher (even for the quite poor), the accessibility of the basics, and the changes due to massively overcrowding our country make life a lot more stressful and some of the basic experiences a lot harder to attain than I saw in my childhood (born in 73). The life my wife and I live versus what I was brought up in has one stark difference, it's much harder to get the quality time with adults. From a kid's perspective, they're either always busy, don't live by you, or you don't know them. I remember growing up and adults always had time for you, and there were a lot of them around. I think this has to do with the changes from an average household working 52 hours a week (either a true 40 hour job plus a little OT, or outside work by the second person) vs the typical 100 hour work week that many houses "enjoy" now.

Stats:
US Population
1973 211M
2019 330M
WA Population
1973 3.4M
2019 7.5M (more than double)
People per square mile WA
1973 51
2019 112

Hours worked per household each week (married couples under 64 years old)
1970 52
2005 64
(If you've had kids and a job, you understand that many days you get a couple hours with them at best M-F, now realize there were 12 more hours of non work time available in the home in 1970, and this is average. while the average male under 64 works 39 hours per week, if you've foolishly chosen the higher stress route, that's more like 50 + 8 hours of commute per week)

Before everyone jumps in, I understand that a lot of my experiences above are due to living in one of the "hot" cities where everyone is competing, traffic sucks, everything is brutally expensive, and there's a line to do anything vs the small city where I grew up, but this isn't just my experience. a much larger percentage of people live in cities now (for the economic opportunity primarily) than in previous decades.

10 more years....

...that said. Gen X (remember us, no, of course not) and those younger essentially have never seen a pension, unless you work for the government. While many boomers didn't either, MANY boomers had a chance at a pension.

just as important, or moreso, is that we could easily come out of college debt free. Higher education was affordable in the late 70s...early 80s. My first semester was $250 for a full load at a junior college, plus books. I worked my way thru collage on essentially minimum wage jobs and came out completely debt free. Took me six years instead of four but still...

by the time I got out of school, tuition was significantly higher. The federal government began cutting funding during those years (as the boomers came into power). And college tuition has increased exponentially ever since. I feel sorry for today's youth trying to get an education. My 42 yo step daughter is still paying off her college loans. And, no, she has no pension either. Rather she's getting it stuck in both ends compared to what I experienced and had available to me.

Last edited:
My 42 yo step daughter is still paying off her college loans. And, no, she has no pension either. Rather she's getting it stuck in both ends compared to what I experienced and had available to me.

Oh indeed. My ex-wife is on the same boat. Fact is, they're economically representative of the majority. They're on a one-way ticket to Social Security "retirement" hell and not a penny more, and they don't even know it. The frog likes to boil slowly.

I empathize with the retirement outcomes of a lot of people in the median to 2x median income bracket. Their working life incomes give them the false impression their lifestyles are sustainable, yet have no idea how poor they really are about to become the very second they get forced off their W-2 share-cropping toil. It's almost more humane to let them expire at work in infirmity, under the illusion they had a full parity lifestyle retirement available to them if they "wanted to" . A compassionate lie if you may.

Well, you can believe one article, or you can believe thousands of first hand experiences happening daily over a period of years. There are exceptions to every rule, of course, but the assertion that a typical boomer is more selfish and self-centered than a typical millennial is just absolute nonsense.

Ok, "hate" may be too strong of a word. . . .

4cab43fc-2afd-4b76-9483-ff811486dac0-jpeg.74674

Last edited:
Back