Will the watered down version of PBOR2 still probably would kill LSA and Sport Pilot?

Re: Will the watered down version of PBOR2 still probably would kill LSA and Sport Pi

My guess is that the point of it is that some senator said, "I could support the bill if it included this provision."

Re: Will the watered down version of PBOR2 still probably would kill LSA and Sport Pi

Which makes it a pointless medical.

But, I guess if you have no problem getting a medical, then you have no problem getting the medical.

The rest of the world will need to be careful to not apply and get locked out of Sport Pilot.

It's still a filter for "in your life have you ever...."

Well, per the FAA's own definition, they actually are.

I know what you're saying but Like I said, that is only in regards to eligibility for Sport Pilot usage. Cubs and Champs do not have LSA Airworthiness Certificates they have standard certificates. They also have Type Certificate Data Sheets, are subject to Airworthiness Directives and must be inspected annually by a licensed A&P/IA. Actual LSA aircraft are not controlled by the FAA, all of the continued airworthiness issues are on the shoulders of the manufacturer. This is another issue with LSA - what happens when the manufacturer goes belly up and they become orphans? :dunno:

Like I said, it's a fine point not worth arguing about.

As to the last part about going belly up, converting to Experimental would appear to be the only option.

My guess is that the point of it is that some senator said, "I could support the bill if it included this provision."
That is absolutely what happened.

If it passes, I wonder if it will affect pilot non-owned aircraft insurance. My policy requires me to have a medical if I fly airplanes that currently require a medical but not if I fly airplanes that don't (LSA). Basically, whatever the FAA required is what the insurer required.

My guess is the same approach will be taken but who knows.

Cheers

Which makes it a pointless medical.

But, I guess if you have no problem getting a medical, then you have no problem getting the medical.

The rest of the world will need to be careful to not apply and get locked out of Sport Pilot.

Maybe it's to mitigate liability on the part of the FAA. If you kill yourself and are found to not have a medical on record, even that single qualifying medical, no one can sue the FAA for letting you fly. :dunno:

Maybe it's to mitigate liability on the part of the FAA. If you kill yourself and are found to not have a medical on record, even that single qualifying medical, no one can sue the FAA for letting you fly. :dunno:

How many tines has the government been sued for letting someone do anything? Is big brother supposed to babysit everyone? I don't think anyone in government stays awake at night worrying that the government is going to get sued for anything, much less having or not having a piece of paper indicating someone saw a doctor some time in the past.

I'm disappointed with the changes to PBOR2. Personally I can't
get a medical and frustrated as hell with the 1320 lb weight limit.
I can live with no flying at night, staying below 10,000 ft etc but
the weight limit is just too low.

I'd love to see the FAA just change the weight limit to something
more reasonable like 1800-2000 lbs. It would be the easiest
change to make. Right now I have to rent a 162 at $105/hr
which is not bad but if I could rent an older 152 it would "probably"
be cheaper. I live in the SF Bay Area so training cost between
SP and PP is not that different (both ridiculous).

The seats in a 162 also get quite uncomfortable after an hour.

Yep. A bit of CYA so a Senator never has to answer for "Letting those rich guys play with their airplanes with zero medical certification."

SPL/LSA had zero, zip, nada to do with the cost of anything and it wasn't meant to make anything easier, nor was it meant to make anything more accessible. Quite the contrary, it was intended to regulate 2 seater "heavy" ultralights.

152s etc.. We're already regulated so no need to rope them in. A few old taildraggers got caught in the crossfire.

Thee are $25,000 new LSAs out there that are in the spirit of the regulation but, nobody wants them they want a mini SR22.

If that were the case the FAA would have just outlawed them. They were illegal to begin with. :rolleyes:

Back