Will the iPhone in general become or already is the best selling smartphone?

With reference to reinstalling Windows... In the NT line, I've found it to rarely be necessary. When I was doing full-time tech support / computer repairs, I'd say maybe two or three times a year I'd come across a Windows system that was so hosed that I had to reinstall it. The rest I could fix with varying amounts of time and effort.

Whether they were worth fixing or not was another question. If a customer had a heavily infected machine with little or nothing of any importance on it, sometimes a reformat / reinstall was the cheaper, more expedient option. But it was just that: an option. In the vast majority of cases, the systems could have been fixed.

With my home computers, I have all data that I care about stored on a file server with redundant storage. I have installers for all my must have apps on there too... so I've sort of streamlined the "nuke and pave" option for myself. I've gotten to where I just don't take more than maybe 30 minutes of prodding before I just decide to start over clean.

I don't do tech support professionally anymore but sometimes a friend leaves me with a machine... or I barter for something. Usually these are 3+ year old machines that take 5 minutes to boot up. Conversation usually is something like...
"Ok, is there anything on there you need off it? "
"Just some music but I don't really care. Do whatever you need to."
*copy files... or image entire disk if I have lots of time*
*nuke & pave*
"Oh wow I can't believe how fast it is now"

Of course Ubuntu used to beat all of them before they went to the Unity desktop. That OS would go upgrade to upgrade not only without a reinstall but often without a reboot. But boy oh boy I can't stand Unity :no:

The iPhone is the best selling phone in the United States, but iPhone is dwarfed by Android in terms of world wide market share.

Android is not a phone. Android is an operating system. There are more android phones in the world than iPhones (which are based on iOS), but the most popular *phone* is still the iPhone - The Android sales are diluted among the hundreds of models available from dozens of manufacturers.

However, really only Samsung and Apple make money in smartphones. All the others are just treading water.

They were top dog 30 years ago and almost bit the big one until the iPod resurrected them.

30 years ago - 1984 - The Mac was just introduced and the company was not doing so hot. They certainly were not "top dog" as they had been in the late 70's before the IBM PC came out. In 1984, IBM was eating Apple's lunch.

In the late 1970's you could have maybe called Apple "Top Dog" but there were a lot of dogs in the show.

Also, they didn't "almost bite the big one" - Even in Apple's worst days they were always solvent. The mid-90's were particularly bad for them financially, but they started their bad times sitting on a $2 Billion cash reserve.

Finally, it wasn't the iPod that brought them back. It was the iMac, introduced three years earlier, that started bringing the Mac (and really, the entire industry) towards what a computer looks like today. The "halo effect" of the iPod and later the iPhone and iPad simply accelerated their growth.

Apple has the ability to shape the market. Phones today are all designed in some way after the iPhone. As iMooniac stated, computers today can be traced back to the iMac and even to the Apple II.

The market will mimic what ever Apple says or does.

Apple Pay has the ability to reshape how we purchase goods. Why? It is because Apple has the power to bring the market behind its products. Google Wallet failed because of the lack of market support. All Apple had to do was get a few large players to pledge support and the rest of the world falls inline.

Apple has the ability to shape the market. Phones today are all designed in some way after the iPhone. As iMooniac stated, computers today can be traced back to the iMac and even to the Apple II.

This is basically it. A confluence of art, engineering and design. Apple is not about building products that have the most features, or are the most powerful, or are the best value. The are about building machines that anybody can use, that don't require a thick user manual, that improve your life, make it easier and you want to spend time with. Not you have to spend time with.

Other companies just wait and see what Apple does, then do what they can to copy, or add features, but still satisfy their core consumer base of Wal Mart shoppers. Apple has traditionally shown the way, but I too have concerns about how much longer they can do this. Jobs is gone. I'm not sure they are the same company they were. I do fear they have run out of ideas and are stuck in a rut.

I hope I am wrong as there is no other company like Apple to date to replace them. I'm typing this on my 2008 Mac Book Pro that has never crashed, has never "been in the shop", has never had a virus, has no anti virus software on it and ultimately is still more attractive and compelling than any current Dell/HP/Samsung/Lenovo/whatever PC laptop. I will likely get around to trading this one for a Mac Book Air, but to date there isn't compelling enough reason as this one still works fine.

I wish Apple did have some serious competition. However, to date when I walk through the technology isle of the big box stores and look at the offerings of the other brands... they still don't get it. Big chunky stupid pieces of plastic running Windows.:vomit:

Apple stuff is computers made for girls. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Apple makes a product for people like my mom, limited usefulness unless you can reprogram in your own features, (unless you run windows on it, then WTF pay for an Apple?), but hard for the average person to screw up.

The are about building machines that anybody can use...

There were tablets before the iPad.

When the iPad came out and caught on, you could walk through an airport and see both 2 year olds and 82 year olds making use of them. Even chimps and gorillas and cats!* Not something ever seen before - tablet technology was suddenly accessible in a way it never was before.

I guess the Android OS can now mimic much of that ease of use, along with more advanced customization. But Apple does seem to have a knack at streamlining and popularizing interfaces - that have a near universal appeal.

*Well, maybe not in airports!

The only apple product I've ever owned is iPads and those only because of ForeFlight.

We get along just fine but I really don't like only being able to visit 90% of the internet, being able to watch only 90% (if that) of YouTube videos, and getting 90% of my email. Because the other 10% "isn't compatible with your device", except in the case of email. Some email is just blank on my ipad, don't know why, it's there on my laptop.

I couldn't imagine going all apple if these limitations are company wide. There are likely work arounds but I haven't explored them. I just minimize time on the ipad.

IMO, Apple is the communist state of the technology world. A closed, controlling society.

But I'm not a Tekkie and have no clue what I'm talking about! :goofy:

30 years ago - 1984 - The Mac was just introduced and the company was not doing so hot. They certainly were not "top dog" as they had been in the late 70's before the IBM PC came out. In 1984, IBM was eating Apple's lunch.

In the late 1970's you could have maybe called Apple "Top Dog" but there were a lot of dogs in the show.

Also, they didn't "almost bite the big one" - Even in Apple's worst days they were always solvent. The mid-90's were particularly bad for them financially, but they started their bad times sitting on a $2 Billion cash reserve.

Finally, it wasn't the iPod that brought them back. It was the iMac, introduced three years earlier, that started bringing the Mac (and really, the entire industry) towards what a computer looks like today. The "halo effect" of the iPod and later the iPhone and iPad simply accelerated their growth.

We can debate who was top dog and when but the Apple II was very popular. The egg shaped iMac's barely caused on blip on the ticket symbol. Nobody wanted a mac then and very few want one now. It wasn't until the iPod hit the Windows platform that things started turning around for them.

The thread drifted from smartphones to computers, which I guess the phones have become. It's doubtful that any of the current stars will still be leading the pack 30 years from now. BlackBerry is a perfect example. They went from hero to zero almost overnight and recently lost $1.5 billion in a single quarter. And when my Samsung gave out after less than 2 years I picked up a Z10 and am surprised at how much I like it. But then again BB was designed for people who require tight security, not the averge user who will download every app and attachment put in front of him, giving up who knows how much privacy.

I suspect that the vast majority of people choose their phones based on what their peers think is cool.

Apple Pay has the ability to reshape how we purchase goods. Why? It is because Apple has the power to bring the market behind its products. Google Wallet failed because of the lack of market support. All Apple had to do was get a few large players to pledge support and the rest of the world falls inline.

Apple is not the leader in phones anymore. Samsung is the leader. Samsung brought the big phones first. Apple is following now. Apple also screwed up big when they tried to dump Google Maps, remember? Apple users were driving off cliffs, laughing.

Apple nearly died when Jobs left and the Pepsi guy (handpicked by Jobs then got fired by him) ran it into the ground. Apple customers are Jobs personality cult followers. Same type that voted for Obama.

Now that Jobs is gone the company dying again. It's just taking a longer time because Apple goons fed so much dog food to them...

Btw, in ten years a handheld phone will be done entirely. We will communicate using holograms and implants.

Last edited:
I've owned a personal computer since 1976. I still have both a very early PC clone and a Mac SE. At home I have both Android and iPad tablets, and OS-X and Windows laptops.

I've worked as a consumer product software developer since I retired from the Air Force in 1994. My products don't sell directly to the public, they are distributed by large companies to the end users, so my customers are all large businesses.

Through about 2000 I did 100% Windows desktop software. Starting around that time it started to become obvious that to succeed you had to market both Windows and OS-X versions of products if you wanted to be taken seriously.

For the last four years I've been migrating to embedded Linux as companies rush to get into the 'internet of things'.

Pretty much every computer product needs a mobile version. My customers want the iOS version first, and then Android version.

I personally prefer Windows 7 over OS-X, but to say that Macintosh and iOS aren't huge players in the business world is literal crazy talk.

Last edited:
I was a CIO for a major multi-national corporation. Apple products are toys. No serious business uses their gear in any serious way. And no business software company ports their products for Apple computers.

I AM a CIO for a Fortune 1000 company and you could not be more wrong. In addition, I also have experience developing native mobile apps for iOS and Android for internal use. I'll take iOS and XCode any day of the week.

BYOD, I give users a choice. Company purchased hardware, the choice is Apple for field service, plant shop floor, and transportation. It's a closed, secure environment that is controllable. Even the iPod Touch is a very effective Bluetooth scanning platform.

Most "business software" companies are moving to a browser based UI that is OS agnostic for desktop/laptop devices. The need to "port" is being minimized.

Okay, here is the shootout from Gizmag between the iPhone 6 and the Galaxy Note 4

A few highlights:

1. galaxy is 8% larger screen. 5.7 v 5.5
2. galaxy has 2560x1440 v 1920 x 1080 25% higher res
3. galaxy uses Google Wallet & Softward v Apple Pay
4. galaxy has a stylus for handwritting v none
5. galaxy has fast charging v none
6. galaxy as 16mp camera v 8mp and galaxy has 3x resolution front camera
7. galaxy has heart rate sensor v none
8. galaxy has split screen multitasking v none
9. galaxy has micro SD card v none

See full compare here: http://tinyurl.com/kxshl8s

I haven't had an issue with anything on the iPhone in 5 months (Mrs. Steingar says that's how long I've had the thing). None. It interfaces easily with my computers (which are Macs) and does what I want. Every time I want more I can get to it with ease.

There is a nearly-year old 51 page thread on how to use one program on Android. Tells me a lot. Many of you like to fool with your gadgets. I just want to use them for what they were designed for, which is why I have Apple products. Don't really need that much more anyway.

I AM a CIO for a Fortune 1000 company and you could not be more wrong. In addition, I also have experience developing native mobile apps for iOS and Android for internal use. I'll take iOS and XCode any day of the week.

BYOD, I give users a choice. Company purchased hardware, the choice is Apple for field service, plant shop floor, and transportation. It's a closed, secure environment that is controllable. Even the iPod Touch is a very effective Bluetooth scanning platform.

Most "business software" companies are moving to a browser based UI that is OS agnostic for desktop/laptop devices. The need to "port" is being minimized.

You must be an lowly engineer or salesman or worse, an Apple goof who knows nothing about serious computing.

The backroom server farms uses Oracle or Apache, still requires Windows and Linux. The cloud/web is just a virtual front end.

The end user devices is not the conversation. The trend toward thin client, handhelds, and mobile devices has been going on for two decades and has nothing to do with the infrastructure of computing and database processing.

Apple has no role at all in the backroom. And as the desktops are being phased out, businesses do not put an Apple in front of their users - you only see those in biotech or media houses....less than 1% of the desktop market.

There were tablets before the iPad.

When the iPad came out and caught on, you could walk through an airport and see both 2 year olds and 82 year olds making use of them. Even chimps and gorillas and cats!* Not something ever seen before - tablet technology was suddenly accessible in a way it never was before.

I guess the Android OS can now mimic much of that ease of use, along with more advanced customization. But Apple does seem to have a knack at streamlining and popularizing interfaces - that have a near universal appeal.

*Well, maybe not in airports!

Not just the OS and interface either. They make elegant, compelling, attractive quality machines. Solid and stylish. Nobody can remember the names of those early tablets because nobody cares. A clunky chunk of cheap ugly plastic that no doubt included a stylus to keep track of. The kind of product that screams limited lifespan.

Nobody will forget the first time they first played with an iPhone. Nothing short of amazing.

Apple has no role at all in the backroom. And as the desktops are being phased out, businesses do not put an Apple in front of their users - you only see those in biotech or media houses....less than 1% of the desktop market.

They don't need a role, or want one in the back office. That's not their space. Microsoft, et al serves this space very, very well. .NET integrates well with many client platforms and is my choice for fat client, browser based, and REST and web services.

The conversation started on smart devices, and moved to Apple as an enterprise provider. In the client device space, it is a capable, manageable supplier.

BTW, I give IT, Marketing, and Exec the option of Apple for the client laptop device. They can opt for Parallels/Windows on this device as well.

Don't speak in absolutes in IT. Those that do are generally wrong.

hundreds of millions more use the Android system but they have about 200 phones to choose from, including the chinese knockoffs. So from a single phone perspective - yes - it is the most popular single smartphone.

Nobody will forget the first time they first played with an iPhone. Nothing short of amazing.

Very, very true. Sadly, this has morphed into "What a POS!"

Let's do something unusual, and try to stick with facts. I have owned a Samsung Galaxy S5 for several months. Last week I played with an iPhone 5, a type of phone my son's workplace uses.

It was TINY, with a terrible screen. Navigation was okay, but the icons were too little for my middle aged eyes.

Video quality was terrible, and the camera was a joke, with literally half the megapixels of my S5.

The front facing camera was the same. Of course, the degraded screen resolution made it hard to tell the difference, but the specs don't lie.

The Apple STILL has no way to expand onboard storage. Hello? SD cards aren't new tech.

Talk time (this IS still a phone, right?) was equally abysmal. Samsung 21 hours, to Apple's 8 (!).

The battery? Good luck replacing it in the iPhone. And whatever you do, don't get it wet. My S5 is waterproof.

Go to charge the Apple. Got a proprietary plug? No? You are done.

Use an Apple to find the nearest microbrewery. What? Still no voice navigation in the iPhone? You have to LOOK at the map, while navigating city traffic? Ridiculous.

Want a barometer, compass, and built in pedometer? Don't look at the iPhone 5. Will these be in the 6, finally?

Look, I understand you guys that really like Apple. There's a lot to like. It's an American brand (made in China, but still). It is aluminum, which feels nicer that plastic. It was first on the market, which means you're invested in the Apple ecosystem. All of this makes sense.

But feature for feature, dollar for dollar, Apple is flying in trail with Samsung, and has been for several years. To deny this is to deny reality. The Samsung Galaxy S5 is the best smartphone in the world, and there's simply no denying it.

That said, I sincerely hope that the Apple iPhone 6 is Apple's stepping stone to becoming a market leader again. Competition is good for all of us!

Rocking the S5 here. I don't run or need Forflight but I get sticking with IOS for that if it's your thing.

Love the S5. I run Avare on it and it is big enough to use in the plane no need to drag the Nexus 7 along on most flights. The camera is amazing. I was worried at first that it's size would be a problem but after about a week of using it that is a non-issue. The battery lasts a long time and of course is replaceable and adding additional space is as simple as putting in a larger card. The water resistance is a comfort. I fish a lot and although I keep my phone in a bag in my pocket you can see plenty of videos on youtube of S5s sitting in the bottom of pools running along happily which just gives me more peace of mind.

Wife and kids have iPhones they like them. I have an ipod touch that is a great device as well.

Last edited:
It was TINY, with a terrible screen. Navigation was okay, but the icons were too little for my middle aged eyes.

That's funny, since another thread here talks about how they're too big. There is a solution to your problem. They're called bifocals, you should get on the stick. Might explain your attraction to RV's.*

Video quality was terrible, and the camera was a joke, with literally half the megapixels of my S5.

The front facing camera was the same. Of course, the degraded screen resolution made it hard to tell the difference, but the specs don't lie.

Don't expect much from a tiny little screen, and all cell phone cameras pale before my DSLR.

The Apple STILL has no way to expand onboard storage. Hello? SD cards aren't new tech.

Says you. I've enough on mine to put on enough tunes that they haven't gotten stale in a month. Plenty of storage, says me. I don't lug every photo I've ever taken on the thing though. That's what I have computers for.

Talk time (this IS still a phone, right?) was equally abysmal. Samsung 21 hours, to Apple's 8 (!).

Let me get this right, you're going to talk for 8 hours between recharges? I recharge mine daily, I'd have a hell of a time draining the battery, never come close except Oshkosh, and even there it wasn't that big a deal. What, they haven't got electricity in Texas?

The battery? Good luck replacing it in the iPhone. And whatever you do, don't get it wet. My S5 is waterproof.

Silly me, I figured I shouldn't take it into the shower.

Thought I'd lost mine at Oshkosh. Bought a new one at Target. No big deal.

Use an Apple to find the nearest microbrewery. What? Still no voice navigation in the iPhone? You have to LOOK at the map, while navigating city traffic? Ridiculous.

Mine has that annoying voice navigation deal, just an app you install (easily, since it's an Apple product).

Want a barometer, compass, and built in pedometer?

Mine has a compass I don't use, and no, I don't want a barometer!

Look, I understand you guys that really like Apple. There's a lot to like. It's an American brand (made in China, but still). It is aluminum, which feels nicer that plastic. It was first on the market, which means you're invested in the Apple ecosystem. All of this makes sense.

But feature for feature, dollar for dollar, Apple is flying in trail with Samsung, and has been for several years. To deny this is to deny reality. The Samsung Galaxy S5 is the best smartphone in the world, and there's simply no denying it.

Except if you have to be a fifth level google-fu master to use the thing all that capability isn't going to do much for you.

That said, I sincerely hope that the Apple iPhone 6 is Apple's stepping stone to becoming a market leader again. Competition is good for all of us!

The rather large number of my students I see staring at these things suggests they're going to be around for a while.

*couldn't resist and don't even mean it. Don't get your panties in a wad.

*couldn't resist and don't even mean it. Don't get your panties in a wad.

I won't. But only cuz I love ya. lol

And I *do* have progressive bifocals! But I experienced the same phenomenon when I was shopping for my EFIS -- I was going to buy the 7" display, and then I saw the 10.5" display, running right next to it, and went "Oh, my God!"

I dug deep, and paid the extra $$$ for the big screen.

Size matters. (Which is, of course, why Apple has followed the herd to a bigger screen with the 6+.)

Did I mention the Apple 6 is $750 off contract and $300 on contract? Half the phone for twice the price?

Did I mention the Apple 6 is $750 off contract and $300 on contract? Half the phone for twice the price?

These arguments have been around since apple was born. In the end it's the consumer who determines the winner. Pure and simple.

These arguments have been around since apple was born. In the end it's the consumer who determines the winner. Pure and simple.

Pesky arument Apple costs more and provides less...again, who throws money on the ground?

That's why Samsung is outselling Apple now.

Pesky arument Apple costs more and provides less...again, who throws money on the ground?

That's why Samsung is outselling Apple now.
And it really, truly, doesn't get any simpler/truer than that.

Still, I understand the reluctance to upgrade. Right now, I am so far into the Black & Decker cordless drill ecosystem (a bunch of 18 volt batteries, and two big, proprietary "gang chargers" that ONLY charge B&D batteries) that I can't force myself to escape, even though I burn up one of their junk drills every 11 - 13 months, on average.

I know there's way better stuff out there and available, but I just don't want the hassle of starting over. That's the same phenomenon that is keeping Apple going, IMHO.

Yep, and there are an awful lot of Apple nuthangers, though not as many as there used to be. They have lost their market domination and most of the people that swear up and down that they are still the best don't really know that much about their devices, or any of the competitors. It's an emotional attachment with a bunch of rabid fans on both sides. Meh, it's a phone with a bunch of apps. There are a bunch of others out there as well. Opinions, a-holes, you know the saying.

I'm a cheap bastage. So, we come up for renewal on our phones, and I go into ATT and look around. Lots of choices, but I know I'm going to get either an Apple or a Samsung. We talk to the sales guy; 'how much is this big phone with 2 year contract?' He says; '$99' 'How much is this Apple iPhone with a 2 year contract?' '$249, on special' 'So, $249 is the on special price?' 'Yep'. 'Which one has a cheaper battery?' 'The big phone is about $23, the iPhone needs to go in the shop, it's about $150.' 'I want the big phone.' Haven't found any killer things on the iPhone that I would spend the extra $200 for yet. Maybe I am not a big enough geek.

We can debate who was top dog and when but the Apple II was very popular. The egg shaped iMac's barely caused on blip on the ticket symbol. Nobody wanted a mac then and very few want one now. It wasn't until the iPod hit the Windows platform that things started turning around for them.

The Apple II was popular because they were giving them away to schools.

Apple nearly died when Jobs left and the Pepsi guy (handpicked by Jobs then got fired by him) ran it into the ground.

John Sculley is the guy you're thinking of... And Apple was already in the tank when he fired Jobs, partially because when Jobs was so young he was hardheaded, stupid, and a terrible manager. Sculley did pretty well for quite a while, but when he ran out of steam and was replaced, they really went off the rails while Spindler and then Amelio were in charge.

Now that Jobs is gone the company dying again. It's just taking a longer time because Apple goons fed so much dog food to them...

I think that Jobs was around long enough the second time and had enough of a supporting cast that they'll be able to keep the momentum for quite a while. They still haven't gotten past things that Jobs directly influenced, so the jury's still out on whether they'll be able to open up new markets without him - In the last days of his life, including the very last day, Jobs was brain-dumping to Cook and that was likely the genesis of the Apple Watch that was just introduced. When Apple can demonstrate their ability to get into more new markets, we'll know if Jobs' vision rubbed off on enough other people to make a difference.

And I *do* have progressive bifocals! But I experienced the same phenomenon when I was shopping for my EFIS -- I was going to buy the 7" display, and then I saw the 10.5" display, running right next to it, and went "Oh, my God!"

I dug deep, and paid the extra $$$ for the big screen.

Size matters. (Which is, of course, why Apple has followed the herd to a bigger screen with the 6+.)

Hey Waitaminute... You're the guy who said that the Nexus 7 was sooooooo much better than the iPad because it was SMALLER! :p

Size.

The iPad: I have never been able to find a comfortable place for the iPad in the cockpit. We bought a suction mount for it at OSH 2011, and it broke on the way home. Even when it worked, it simply blocked too much of the outside world. It always ends up on someone's lap, where it can't be seen.

The Nexus: This thing is perfectly sized for the cockpit. It fits on a knee without teetering. It fits between the yoke handles. It fits in the pocket of my cargo pants. A clear win for the Nexus.

But, it all comes back to size. By the second leg of the flight, the iPad was relegated to the back seat. We haven't turned it on since Day One of our flight to OSH.

:D

Let's do something unusual, and try to stick with facts. I have owned a Samsung Galaxy S5 for several months. Last week I played with an iPhone 5, a type of phone my son's workplace uses.

And once again, we have Jay making a direct comparison between the latest Android gadget and the two-generations-old Apple gadget. :rolleyes: Of COURSE it's not going to have better specs...

I dare say that if you forget your charging cord, it's just as easy if not easier to find an iPhone charging cord than the "standard" micro USB. You can buy them for four bucks at the checkout counter of Walgreens. This is a non-issue.

Don't know where you get this. Not only has Apple maps provided voice navigation since its inception, I have no less than THREE apps on my phone which do (Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Waze).

Want a barometer, compass, and built in pedometer? Don't look at the iPhone 5. Will these be in the 6, finally?

Barometer is in the 6. Pedometer was already in the 5s. Compass has been around a LONG time. So let's try to "stick with facts," shall we? :rolleyes:

I dare say that if you forget your charging cord, it's just as easy if not easier to find an iPhone charging cord than the "standard" micro USB. You can buy them for four bucks at the checkout counter of Walgreens. This is a non-issue.

In my experience, Lighting charging cables run at least $12, even on sale.

There's electronics built in, so beware the extra-cheap models.

The "Amazon Basics" seem to work well, 3' for $12.99.

My last 2 computers were macs. Each lasted 5 years with no problems. Not one time did I take either to a computer shop. I've had several models of iPods/iPhones and although I've replaced the screens on a couple they have never stopped working.

I buy apple because I don't have time to screw with a computer. I want something that just works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My last two computers were ones my brother built. Both lasted 7+ years with no problems. Not one time did I take either to a computer shop. I've had several models of android phones/tablets and I've never replaced anything on them and they still work.

Back