Will the iPhone in general become or already is the best selling smartphone?

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
Just wondering, will the iPhone in general become or already is the best selling smartphone in the world, just because it is an Apple brand name and everyone knows it very well? The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus was recently announced and is coming very soon and I bet everyone is excited about it. But I believe Samsung came out with it's Galaxy series a while back that had the same screen size and maybe the same features as the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus right now.

But even if other competitor's smartphone/phablet models have better features than the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, would Apple sell more iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus than the other competitor's smartphone/tablet because Apple is a more well-known brand name, than other lesser-known competitors?

Already is.

Much comes down to making a sexy phone, quality build & materials and a clean user interface, apple does all of this.

I just wish they would stop making them bigger & bigger

I think they will out sell their competitors until their competitors are light-years ahead of them.

Apple has marketing and simplicity on their side.

However, I do believe for Apple to survive they will either need to add data portability or make the rest of the market conform. I'm betting on the conforming unless the European Union sees it differently.

Just wondering, will the iPhone in general become or already is the best selling smartphone in the world, just because it is an Apple brand name and everyone knows it very well? The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus was recently announced and is coming very soon and I bet everyone is excited about it. But I believe Samsung came out with it's Galaxy series a while back that had the same screen size and maybe the same features as the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus right now.

But even if other competitor's smartphone/phablet models have better features than the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, would Apple sell more iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus than the other competitor's smartphone/tablet because Apple is a more well-known brand name, than other lesser-known competitors?

Right now they trail samsung 29.4% to 11.7%.

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-market-share.jsp

No. Samsung has buried Apple and will remain in charge from here on out.

The iPhone is the best selling phone in the United States, but iPhone is dwarfed by Android in terms of world wide market share.

Not true. Samsung sells more smartphones than Apple does... Apple users pay more and get less, they are cult like...

http://www.crn.com/slide-shows/mobility/300072681/the-five-best-selling-smartphone-brands-of-the-first-quarter.htm/pgno/0/5

SAMSUNG IS #1...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/haydnsh...ses-to-nearly-double-apples-smartphone-sales/

Last edited:
You buy Apple because you like the interface and design.

You buy one of the Android devices for the feature set and better price point... IMO.

Mostly due to cost.

Yes, interesting observation. Only in America is a lack of physical feature overcome by brand marketing, Asia won't do it, and they are, thanks to our economic ruin, the world's largest consumer economy. They will buy more features and capability at less cost every day of the week, except those bowing to the US Consumerism God, they will buy western branding.

Last edited:
You buy Apple because you like the interface and design.

You buy one of the Android devices for the feature set and better price point... IMO.

Nice summation.

But there are also all sorts of subconscious, lizard-brain reasons we like certain products.

My first Apple product was a 128k Mac in 1985. For close to 30 years, the Apple way has worked for me.

Now, a major impetus lies in the buyin related to the ecosystem. I like the way all our products (iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, IPad Mini Retina, iPad2 and Apple TV) work together. Not always seamlessly, but well enough that a major shift to Android does not seem worth the bother.

I watch several tech podcasts on the TWIT network. I think they're pretty objective about their devices and try many of the new phones as they come out. They're honest when an Android or a Windows phone leapfrogs Apple on feature sets.

Still, many of them are eager to return to the Apole fold in fits and starts.

When something doesn't work right, Karen and I often say, "It should just work!" In any case, with Apple products they seem to work well enough for us, and we're sticking with them for now.

But, of course, to each his own.

As an aside, the need to disparage others, in their course of OS or phone or aircraft or political party or whatever often says more about the psyche of the disparagor as opposed to the disparagee.

I read an interesting article a while back about why developers often develop apps for Apple without the Android equivalent. Even though there are more Android devices out there and the answer boils down to and the data shows that Apple users tend to be more affluent and will spend the money for an app and Android users wont.

I read an interesting article a while back about why developers often develop apps for Apple without the Android equivalent. Even though there are more Android devices out there and the answer boils down to and the data shows that Apple users tend to be more affluent and will spend the money for an app and Android users wont.

Exactly, it's all about the money. Apple consumers are known to spend twice as much for less product. Under current economic standards that indicates which market deserves the most effort. That's good, right?:dunno::confused:

He said "in the United States" and apple leads in the USA. Google it.

Best seller in the USA? Laughing. How about best seller in Weed, CA?

Apple is an international company and make their phones in China? They can't compete on a worldwide basis? The race is not for the USA, its for the whole enchilada.

Like I said, Apple goons are cultists. They pay more for less. And act like the company is a church. Who does that? Followers, not independent thinkers.

People who know me frequently ask what kind of computer they should get when they're shopping. I always tell them that if they want the best to buy Apple. If they want the best value, buy something else.

Go out, pick up some PC laptops. Hold them in your hand, hold one up by the corner. Work the hinges. Feel it creak and groan right out of the box. Now go find a 4 year old apple laptop and note it doesn't do that. Spend some time working them them and realize how much faster and more reliable the Mac OS actually is.

I fully admit the price is a hard pill to swallow and I've often gone back to PC because I could get a machine with a faster cpu or more ram or whatever for literally half the cost. However, the macs are the ones I actually want to use.

If we're talking android it's kind of the same deal. I've never liked an android device. The interfaces are always clunky feeling, the layout doesn't make sense to me, it isn't consistent between devices, etc... I know I'd get used to it but I don't like it as well. I know I'll get better customer service from Apple if I have an issue too.... take stuff to the Apple store and they sometimes will fix stuff out of warranty or fix things most places wouldn't even in warranty.

Apple is an international company and make their phones in China? They can't compete on a worldwide basis? The race is not for the USA, its for the whole enchilada.

Like I said, Apple goons are cultists. They pay more for less. And act like the company is a church. Who does that? Followers, not independent thinkers.

Yep, some people cannot accept facts that interfere with their opinions...

Apple stuff is computers made for girls. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Your stupidity and immaturity continues to amaze me. Someone should gather all your posts and put them together for a good laugh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Your stupidity and immaturity continues to amaze me. Someone should gather all your posts and put them together for a good laugh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sent from my iPad? Laughing again...

Just when I think he can't post anything more stupid than what was contained in his previous posts...

...he jumps up and down like a four year old and proves me wrong.

Amazing I say, just freakin' amazing.

Apparently he went to a school where reading, or at least reading comprehension, wasn't a subject.

The only reason for a company to be in business it to increase shareholder value. A company can have most of the market share and yet be nearly insolvent.

The value of Samsung is 153 billion.
The value of Apple is 608 billion.

I have used Apple products in my business for many years and they have proven to be very cost effective.
By your statement I am a goon, follower and incapable of independent thought.

The only reason for a company to be in business it to increase shareholder value. A company can have most of the market share and yet be nearly insolvent.

The value of Samsung is 153 billion.
The value of Apple is 608 billion.

I have used Apple products in my business for many years and they have proven to be very cost effective.
By your statement I am a goon, follower and incapable of independent thought.

I was a CIO for a major multi-national corporation. Apple products are toys. No serious business uses their gear in any serious way. And no business software company ports their products for Apple computers.

Jobs was a bully not a guru. He built closed systems. It's why he failed at NEXT, and why he never penetrated the business world with his products. He ended up making consumer gadgets and phones, and did well at Pixar, a cartoon making company.

Jobs was also a paranoid goof that killed himself by not getting mainstream medical treatment and opted instead to burn incense and recite Kama Sutra chants.

And now that Jobs is gone, Samsung is eating Apple's lunch. Jobs tried to sue Samsung out of business and failed. Now Samsung owns the market. Apple hardcores will keep buying inferior Apple stuff till the last chunk of white crap comes out of Cupertino and their Chinese factory Foxconn. Then poof, they will be gone.

Last edited:
I was a CIO for a major multi-national corporation. Apple products are toys. No serious business uses their gear in any serious way. And no business software company ports their products for Apple computers.

Jobs was a bully not a guru. He built closed systems. It's why he failed at NEXT, and why he never penetrated the business world with his products. He ended up making consumer gadgets and phones, and did well at Pixar, a cartoon making company.

Jobs was also a paranoid goof that killed himself by not getting mainstream medical treatment and opted instead to burn incense and recite Kama Sutra chants.

And now that Jobs is gone, Samsung is eating Apple's lunch. Jobs tried to sue Samsung out of business and failed. Now Samsung owns the market. Apple hardcores will keep buying inferior Apple stuff till the last chunk of white crap comes out of Cupertino and their Chinese factory Foxconn. Then poof, they will be gone.

Yeah, you're not even close. I'm in the process of converting a fortune 100 company off symbol handhelds to iPods and we just ditched 5 digits worth of blackberries for iPhones.

I was a CIO for a major multi-national corporation. Apple products are toys. No serious business uses their gear in any serious way.

Is music a business? How about movies/video/animation/CGI?

Apple is the product of choice in both these business areas.

Can't comment for anyone but me so here's my experience...had an iphone 4 and 4s, contract expired and made the decision to try the Samsung G4. Currently have an iphone 5 for work. While both platforms work well, the Samsung outperforms the iphones for my needs. My next phone will be another Samsung. Of course, YMMV.

People who know me frequently ask what kind of computer they should get when they're shopping. I always tell them that if they want the best to buy Apple. If they want the best value, buy something else.

Go out, pick up some PC laptops. Hold them in your hand, hold one up by the corner. Work the hinges. Feel it creak and groan right out of the box. Now go find a 4 year old apple laptop and note it doesn't do that. Spend some time working them them and realize how much faster and more reliable the Mac OS actually is.

I fully admit the price is a hard pill to swallow and I've often gone back to PC because I could get a machine with a faster cpu or more ram or whatever for literally half the cost. However, the macs are the ones I actually want to use.

If we're talking android it's kind of the same deal. I've never liked an android device. The interfaces are always clunky feeling, the layout doesn't make sense to me, it isn't consistent between devices, etc... I know I'd get used to it but I don't like it as well. I know I'll get better customer service from Apple if I have an issue too.... take stuff to the Apple store and they sometimes will fix stuff out of warranty or fix things most places wouldn't even in warranty.

Personally I am agnostic to the whole OS debate however a couple thoughts:

1. Compare a comparably priced PC laptop to an Apple machine and you will see far less build quality difference. People always want to compare a $400 dell to a $1300 Mac. Of course the build quality is better.

2. Apple is a hardware and a software company. Windows is (for the most part) a software company. So of course Apples software is more tightly integrated with the few pieces of hardware they produce. Windows writes software that runs on 1000s of different pieces of hardware produced by hundreds of manufacturers by it's nature it will be less tightly integrated. Not a bad business strategy on Apples part in my view.

3. I hear people say all the time Apple is better for large media files. What a load of crap. The hardware is the same. Personally I think Apple should have kept the processor differentiation and not gone to intel but that is just my opinion. Apple typically only sells high end hardware a comparable PC will run at or very close to the same speed with the same software.

4. Apple is a pain in the enterprise environment. They are getting a little better but they are more work for most IT shops that maintain a mainly Windows environment.

5. The whole top secret time line thing is ridiculous. IT managers need to have product road maps in order to plan.

The reality is there are more similarities between the major OS's than there are differences. Hardware is hardware. Most of the "new" features that IOS claims to have added of late have been in Linux for 20 years actually many were in DOS for those of us old enough to remember the command line.

Use what makes you happy because the argument mainly boils down to personal preference.

Is music a business? How about movies/video/animation/CGI?

Apple is the product of choice in both these business areas.

The big animation factories use Sun, HP and custom built RISC machines. Apple desktops are toys.

Why don't you take a peek into the server farms for Disney, and the major studios? You won't see a little black apple anywhere in sight.

I once had a contract at Apple back in the early 90s consulting on their internal business systems. Guess what Apple had in their IT infrastructure? IBM mainframes and Dell workgroup servers.

Last edited:
My last 2 computers were macs. Each lasted 5 years with no problems. Not one time did I take either to a computer shop. I've had several models of iPods/iPhones and although I've replaced the screens on a couple they have never stopped working.

I buy apple because I don't have time to screw with a computer. I want something that just works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why don't you take a peek into the server farms for Disney, and the major studios? You won't see a little black apple anywhere in sight.

Have you, perhaps, considered the possibility that the reason you won't see Apple hardware in a data center is because They don't make any hardware designed for a data center.

Just because Apple isn't in the business of building servers or network gear does not mean that the iPhone is junk.

Consumer level Apple gear is used everywhere in any major corporation where it's designed to be used (the user).

I could type several pages worth of analysis of Mac OS vs Windows.... vs Linux. I use all three in different roles quite a bit. I've been monkeying with computers since I was a kid and I do know my way around both the hardware and software. I spent several years as a software developer so I've got a good grasp of how all this stuff works and why.

The main software difference is this, Windows caters to business customers by consistently being(relatively) easy to use and (relatively) compatible with old software and old hardware. This advantage for business use is also the disadvantage for a home user or someone who doesn't need custom software. There's a lot of legacy support that is actually bogging windows down.... windows is a kludge and always has been. That said, Microsoft has become very good at making their kludge work.

Apple makes sure their stuff works with... whatever they feel it needs to. They drop legacy code with every version. Nobody wants that in a business environment with mission critical applications that would cost potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars to replace. But, for a home user this code pruning results in a leaner meaner OS. Apple controls all the hardware too so you never see a driver conflict. For the price premium you're also getting premium build quality. As you always hear in regards to apple systems "it just works" and that's all most home users need.

For me.. and I'm a heavier user than most, I find I have to reinstall or in some way service a windows machine every 6mo-1year. Usually reinstalling windows. With mac.... it is more like every 2-3 years. And after those 2-3 years the mac is still fast enough that there's no burning need for an upgrade.

I stand by my assertion that they're better machines. But, especially with the cost factored in, I also concede there are very good reasons to just buy a PC.

Oh and in the Android vs iOS debate.... as this is a pilot's forum.

Foreflight. /thread.

I could type several pages worth of analysis of Mac OS vs Windows.... vs Linux. I use all three in different roles quite a bit. I've been monkeying with computers since I was a kid and I do know my way around both the hardware and software. I spent several years as a software developer so I've got a good grasp of how all this stuff works and why.

The main software difference is this, Windows caters to business customers by consistently being(relatively) easy to use and (relatively) compatible with old software and old hardware. This advantage for business use is also the disadvantage for a home user or someone who doesn't need custom software. There's a lot of legacy support that is actually bogging windows down.... windows is a kludge and always has been. That said, Microsoft has become very good at making their kludge work.

Apple makes sure their stuff works with... whatever they feel it needs to. They drop legacy code with every version. Nobody wants that in a business environment with mission critical applications that would cost potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars to replace. But, for a home user this code pruning results in a leaner meaner OS. Apple controls all the hardware too so you never see a driver conflict. For the price premium you're also getting premium build quality. As you always hear in regards to apple systems "it just works" and that's all most home users need.

For me.. and I'm a heavier user than most, I find I have to reinstall or in some way service a windows machine every 6mo-1year. Usually reinstalling windows. With mac.... it is more like every 2-3 years. And after those 2-3 years the mac is still fast enough that there's no burning need for an upgrade.

I stand by my assertion that they're better machines. But, especially with the cost factored in, I also concede there are very good reasons to just buy a PC.

With reference to reinstalling Windows... In the NT line, I've found it to rarely be necessary. When I was doing full-time tech support / computer repairs, I'd say maybe two or three times a year I'd come across a Windows system that was so hosed that I had to reinstall it. The rest I could fix with varying amounts of time and effort.

Whether they were worth fixing or not was another question. If a customer had a heavily infected machine with little or nothing of any importance on it, sometimes a reformat / reinstall was the cheaper, more expedient option. But it was just that: an option. In the vast majority of cases, the systems could have been fixed.

My experience with Mac machines was very limited, but the impression I got from colleagues who specialized in Macs was that Macs seldom crashed, but when they did, they did so with gusto, making a reinstall or a restore from backup the only realistic options. Fixing crashed Mac systems apparently wasn't something they did very often.

Rich

Back