Will someone PLEASE start an aviation-topic only board!

and yet we have this non-aviation thread....lol. o_O

Many of us are on other social media sites where we can talk to the people we like about the stuff we like....aviation and other life stuff.

Lord help us, does that mean there will be another year 2020 again too?

Lord help us, does that mean there will be another year 2020 again too?

just imagine if there is a year when we look back at 2020 and wish we had it that good...

The general aviation community needs an aviation-only forum. I keep hoping someone will start one. Please, if there is someone out there who may have been thinking of this, I encourage you to do it. I believe there is a real need for it.

FYI - I'm bashing the board management. The forum changed organically.

I visit type club forums for my aviation interests and most of them stay on theme pretty well.
If I had to give up a forum I regularly visit, POA would be the first to go because there is so much content that is not in my field of interest.
Some people seem to like an online community such as POA. I generally don't. I don't think that POA members know anything more than my other resources about music, movies, clothes, motorcycles, Ram trucks, investments and even aviation legal or regulatory matters. Others obviously value the broader community and more power to them. I just scan new topic titles and move on.

One solution would be to open the Hangar Talk and Technical Corner sections and click on "Ignore Forum." While that would prevent you from seeing some aviation content, it should, theoretically at least, prevent you from seeing nearly all of the non-aviation content.

I think it was around the time I joined PoA someone was complaining that they couldn't distinguish between aviation vs non-aviation threads. they came up with a [sarcasm] brilliant [/sarcasm] idea of forcing people to put 'NA' on thread titles that weren't aviation related. which apparently made it much easier to determine when a thread either was or wasn't aviation related.

can you spot the non-aviation related thread?

Goat cheese
Goat cheese (NA)

(and yes, that's an actual thread)

First there was the AOPA forum (the Red Board). It was almost completely aviation-only. It was moderated pretty well, but sometimes posters got a little intense on their opinions.

Then came the Blue Board. It was a pleasant relief from the sometimes over-moderated Red Board. And it was almost completely aviation related. It was good. Yet, sometimes people got persnickity here too. Also, some pilots wanted to talk about subjects that were tangential to aviation.

So someone created the Purple Board. It made sense at the time. It was a kinder, no-arguing, forum where you could talk aviation and aviation-related subjects. It was kind of a breath of fresh air from the sometimes too-serious Red and Blue boards.

There was something for everyone.

Then the Red Board shut down.

Now the Blue board has so many bizarre posts its barely recognizable as a aviation forum. People posting recipes, asking for advice on motorcycles, spewing poetic about their favorite beer.

The Purple board has stayed the same over the years but the Blue board is a mere shadow of what it once was as far as aviation is concerned. It is no longer a place to come and get knowledgeable advice or opinions. A majority of the responses will have nothing to do with the original post and the others will be from people with little or no real knowledge.

The general aviation community needs an aviation-only forum. I keep hoping someone will start one. Please, if there is someone out there who may have been thinking of this, I encourage you to do it. I believe there is a real need for it.

@Ted DuPuis looks like theres a volunteer to be a new moderator/board member

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/i-want-you-on-the-poa-mc-job-posting.128324/

We have reached the end of the internet and it is starting to repeat.

New personal best of 10 likes. Clearly this is aviation related, as all a pilot really wants is his ego stroked.

Exactly a year ago on 30 Sept, a guy named Brian started "The Pilot's Place" (TPP) as a response to the demise of the red board. It now has 1000 registered folk.

https://thepilotsplace.com/forum/index.php

Sheesh. I tried to register. It said user name already in use. So I signed in. It was me. I had done it and then forgot about it. Guess I wasn’t to impressed at the time. Wow, 40 sub forums. Just looking at last posts I recognized 5 names from here

Sheesh. I tried to register. It said user name already in use. So I signed in. It was me. I had done it and then forgot about it. Guess I wasn’t to impressed at the time. Wow, 40 sub forums. Just looking at last posts I recognized 5 names from here
I'm sure they're nice people...... :D

I wish the moderators would lock threads more often. Especially when a post devolves into 2-3 guys bickering.

is bickering a violation of the ROC?

If the thread has drifted and you don't like it... why not just put the thread on your ignore list? From your perspective, it would amount to pretty much the same as the thread being locked.

is bickering a violation of the ROC?

If the thread has drifted and you don't like it... why not just put the thread on your ignore list? From your perspective, it would amount to pretty much the same as the thread being locked.
now there's a novel idea.....lol :D

I'm sure they're nice people...... :D

The neighbors all said he was such a nice guy:) There’s all kinds of POAers there. Some double dippers. Some defectors, folk I haven’t seen here in a long time. Probably a bunch more that use different handles.​

The neighbors all said he was such a nice guy:) There’s all kinds of POAers there. Some double dippers. Some defectors, folk I haven’t seen here in a long time. Probably a bunch more that use different handles.​
yup....Brian was saying on the PB that he has a nice young man that helps him with his web stuff. I thought that was very nice.

I'm not sure whether you meant to say "I'm bashing the board management" or "I'm not bashing the board management." Either way, we get bashed enough. :)

As you noted, PoA shifted organically. I'll agree that there's less aviation discussion than 10-15 years ago. That said, we do still have plenty of aviation discussions if you look at the aviation-specific forums.

Largely I agree with you - Purple was basically pilots talking about nothing aviation related, Red was all aviation, nothing else. Blue has always been a mix to some extent, and perhaps now has shifted closer to the Purple spectrum. With red gone, we have less of an all-aviation forum.

I don't spend much time there, but maybe you should check out Beech Talk. From when I've been over there they seem to have a lot more aviation discussion than non.

I think it was around the time I joined PoA someone was complaining that they couldn't distinguish between aviation vs non-aviation threads. they came up with a [sarcasm] brilliant [/sarcasm] idea of forcing people to put 'NA' on thread titles that weren't aviation related. which apparently made it much easier to determine when a thread either was or wasn't aviation related.

can you spot the non-aviation related thread?

Goat cheese
Goat cheese (NA)

(and yes, that's an actual thread)
I have never even been asked to put "NA" on a non-aviation thread title, let alone been "forced" to.

I wish the moderators would lock threads more often. Especially when a post devolves into 2-3 guys bickering.
I wish people who want more threads locked would just click on "Ignore Thread" instead.

So 2-3 guys is bickering, one is just bicking, and zero is bicklessing?

or is it bick, bicker, and bickest?

Nah. Just toss the bickerers. LOL.

It’s a real rule on one group I moderate.

“Toss the unhappy people.” Haha. We like it.

This thread inspired me. I’m starting a new personal finance only board. It’ll have one post...

1fc88c8a5dc697ba698e45adf9004b42.jpg

I found one of POA’s moderators over there. Is that Treason.

Nope. Pretty much all of us participate elsewhere as well. PoA is great! But so are other places.

Maybe add a subforum ignore feature that would allow him to block Hangar Talk? That would give him his "aviation only" board.

Goat cheese. You will NOT bring goat cheese in to my airplane. Period. Simple. I would hatred on you if you did.

Maybe add a subforum ignore feature that would allow him to block Hangar Talk? That would give him his "aviation only" board.
That feature already exists. If you go to the Forum home page and click on Hangar Talk, there is an "Ignore Forum" link on the right, just above the top of the list of threads. (He also might need to do this with the Technical Corner forum if he wants to exclude threads about non-aviation technology.)

That feature already exists. If you go to the Forum home page and click on Hangar Talk, there is an "Ignore Forum" link on the right, just above the top of the list of threads.

Wow, see! Great minds think alike!

woot woot

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.”

― John Lydgate

Back