Will past Growth Hormone Treatment cause any problem when applying for a First Class Medical?

A

Act

Hi. When I was 13 y/o (8 years ago) I was shorter than my classmates so we went to an endocrinologist and he recommended my parents a growth hormone replacement treatment. Did that for a year and it worked as I have a normal height now. I had/have no side effects.

Will that cause an issue when applying for a first class medical? I couldn’t find anything related on the internet.

Thanks guys!

I don't know the actual answer, but until somebody does I'll just offer that I doubt it will be an issue, especially if there were no association conditions.

BTW, you were about due for a growth spurt at that age, with or without growth hormones. :cool:

Im the OP. Since it happened several years ago should I report it on the medical application?

thank you

Im the OP. Since it happened several years ago should I report it on the medical application?

thank you
Since the visit was more than three years ago and since it technically is NOT included in the "Have you EVER" list you're probably OK not even disclosing the condition, unless the FAA later considers it an "illness, disability, or surgery", but I think it's a good argument that it is none of those.

Personally, I would not report it on the MedXpress application, but I would also wait until one or more of the AMEs posts their opinion here. Either way I don't see how it would be an obstacle to getting a medical certificate.

You do not need to report the medication since it is not current. However, you technically need to report the condition for which the medication was used. Be that congenital short stature, or whatever. It is unlikely to cause any problems though.

Thank you Dr Bruce. When reporting the condition, will it cause any problem or delay when getting the medical issued? Will it be deferred to the FAA?
That depends on whether or not the condition has been no longer in need of treatment and stable for >5 years, and the documentation thereof.

Back