Will duct tape stand up to hydraulic fluid?

drummer4468

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
drummer4468
So I have a hydraulic test bench with multiple outputs/drains. I'd like to wrap a bit of colored duct/gorilla tape around the ends of each hose for quick identification as the outputs and drain lines are shuffled between ports on various parts being tested. Tracing out the spaghetti bowl of identical hoses every test to make sure ports are plumbed to the correct circuits is a PITA.

What, if any, would be the best thing to use and won't melt away when slathered with 5606 all day?

Edit to make abundantly clear: Tape will not be holding any kind of pressure. Simply for color-coded identification only.

The best kind of colored tape would be colored zip ties.

Hadn't thought of that. Not a bad idea but I worry that might hinder operation a bit. some of these parts have multiple ports in close proximity and I wouldn't want the zip tie lumps to start getting in the way of hands/wrenches. But definitely worth a shot if tape doesn't work out. Thanks!

They make colored dust caps for that sort of thing if you're using quick-connect fittings. You see them pretty frequently on newer tractors which have front end loaders and other attachments that need hoses connected to the correct ports on the shared manifold.

81VHUYng0tL._AC_UL420_SR420,420_.jpg

Second the zip ties. The guys in the (non aviation) maint. Shop where I work use the colored zip ties when they tear a machine apart for repairs or pain.

Hadn't thought of that. Not a bad idea but I worry that might hinder operation a bit. some of these parts have multiple ports in close proximity and I wouldn't want the zip tie lumps to start getting in the way of hands/wrenches. But definitely worth a shot if tape doesn't work out. Thanks!
Ties don't have to be exactly at the end.
But another option (I suspect) would be the silicone self fusing tape - probably hold up to hydraulic fluid, but more expensive.

Ooh, heat shrink is another option I hadn't thought of! That may be a winner.

The tethered plugs would be great if the techs didn't have to constantly swap hoses between ports (on the parts under test) multiple times for each testing procedure. Too many dangly bits to futz with.

Thanks for the input, all. You've been a great help in making our lives a little easier lol

You could try color coded 3m electrical tape. It probably won't last long, but by the inch it's cheap and available. Heat shrink would probably be best.

Second the zip ties. The guys in the (non aviation) maint. Shop where I work use the colored zip ties when they tear a machine apart for repairs or pain.
So that’s the etymology for the word paint. I cannot agree more.

You could try color coded 3m electrical tape. It probably won't last long, but by the inch it's cheap and available. Heat shrink would probably be best.

Yup, searched around the shop and managed to dig up some heat shrink in a few different colors. Zapped em on, and it's working like a charm so far!

Just about any tape will suffer when it contacts oil. The sticky stuff turns to goo and lets go. Makes a mess.

I've never tried the silicone "emergency" tape in an oily environment. That stuff doesn't have the usual sticky layer on it, but it sure sticks to itself in a hurry.

Under the hood of my Pete truck were lots of differnt colored fine wires. Who ever owned the Truck before me. Had put matching color wires to all the electrical , air, oil lines. Made for easy id as to what went where.

Back