Will Cirrus SR used prices drop once the Vision Jet is out?

Meh....if one wants a flat screen TV and a chute I guess it's worth it. But, Bonanzas and Mooneys are fast for a fraction of the cost. My Bo does 200 kts no problemo....slightly faster than an SR. :D

You keep saying this as if repeating it will make it true but seem to forget that an SR22T or TN can do 219 KTS. It's fine that your bonanza is in the ballpark of the same speed as my TN, but it is in no way 'slightly faster' - it is in fact, 'slightly slower'

not bad for half the price...btw I bet you're wrong when comparing one with lke engine'd...a 550R V-tail.:D

No. Only on piston PA46s. No reason to modify a turboprop PA46 with another PT6.

Oh, if you talk to the jet-prop fanatics, there would be good reason to do exactly that.

not bad for half the price...btw I bet you're wrong when comparing one with lke engine'd...a 550R V-tail.:D

How am I wrong? You keep telling us your Bo does 200 KTS and I'm pretty sure I'm not wrong on the whole 219 > 200 thing. I wasn't a math major but I can follow simple arithmetic. So unless YOU are wrong and your amazing, perfect airplane actually trues at 220+ KTS, you are simply being bizarrely stubborn and maybe a little slow. (see what I did there, it isn't just your plane thats a little slower :)

And I don't have anything against Bonanzas, they're wonderful airplanes, I happen to think they are one of the nicest looking singles out there and I'm really glad you are so happy with yours. But like weilke would tell you, all you have to say is 'I like my Bonanza better' and leave it at that. Making up some untrue data points to try to convince others that you are more right than they are makes no sense.

Rudy.....mine is a 285HP....not a 310. The ones with a 310 are a bit faster. :D

Six -

That is turbo'd though right?

What he says (below). The jet, reasonably tricked out, is more like 2.5X the price of an SR22, plus brutal operating costs and very difficult type certification. I just don't see the numbers there to have a major impact on SR22 used market.

G1- G3 SR22's remain a great value, especially G2's. For $200K or so, you can get an SR22 with a fresh parachute. For the price of a mediocre 182, you get a plane that has faster speeds, avionics that do just about everything (with great redundancy), great fuel economy, and...most important (for me anyway)...a parachute.

Insurance rates have come down a bit, due to Cirrus' remarkable recent safety record. (Cirrus got AOPA's safety award this year).

Also, keep in mind, not all those "positions" by SR22 owners will result in sales. Many are actually marketing their "place in line" now.

Unless you have money to burn, focus on earlier Cirrus models. And if you go for the jet, I live in So Cal and will happily share expenses during a flight any day, any time, 24 x 7!

I'm finding much higher prices for SR22s with Garmin panels, does anyone know if it's possible and how much it would cost to upgrade an older Cirrus to the "Perspective by Garmin?" (which looks exactly like a G3X Touch.)

I'm finding much higher prices for SR22s with Garmin panels, does anyone know if it's possible and how much it would cost to upgrade an older Cirrus to the "Perspective by Garmin?" (which looks exactly like a G3X Touch.)

I don't believe that option exists at this time. This is available for King Airs and CJs, costs more than a new CIrrus.

I believe you can put a garmin 500 into a steam gauge version and an Avidyne R9 into an Entegra. Can't say that I have seen many of the R9 birds on the market.

Weilke is correct. No way to retrofit Perspective (G1000 essentially with a keypad and good airframe integration) to an avidyne plane. Avidyne is perfectly functional if that is in your budget though. I've had both and prefer perspective but nothing wrong with Avidyne

Yep, cirrus introduced the garmin perspective in 2008 and they definitely command a premium on the used market over avidyne planes. The perspective is based on the garmin g1000 and are not touchscreens like the g3x. For a period of time the buyer could choose Garmin or avidyne, but pretty much everyone picked Garmin so avidyne was dropped as a choice around 2009.

There is no stc or any upgrade path on an older cirrus to the g1000. You can upgrade the stock avidyne entegra pfd/mfd or six pack to the fully integrated avidyne r9 but it is pretty expensive (70k) and is not very common. I've seen some older six pack planes with aspens, or g500. The most common upgrade on the older planes seems to be upgrading the GPS to two Garmin 650, a Garmin 750/650, or some even like the avidyne ifd gps.

Happy hunting!

Thanks Weilke, Rudy, and Steve, very helpful information. Trying not to lose too much situational awareness and functionality in order to gain some knots.

Oh, if you talk to the jet-prop fanatics, there would be good reason to do exactly that.

The JetProp is a modified Malibu or Mirage, so they take out the piston engine and replace it with a PT-6.

The Meridian is a modified version of the Mirage airframe that comes from the factory with a slightly larger PT-6. You can tell the difference between a JetProp and Meridian by looking at the beefed up wings and the tail section of the Meridian and the JetProp has a forward baggage compartment.

Both are great planes but I am not aware of anyone that has taken out one PT-6 to replace it with another.

Abram Finkelstein
N48KY

Both are great planes but I am not aware of anyone that has taken out one PT-6 to replace it with another.

'Would' used in the subjunctive mood as in 'If someone was to ask those people, they would come up with a reason'.

The reason to do this would be to combine the beefed up airframe and higher fuel capacity of the Meridian with the lower specific fuel consumption of the smaller lighter PT6-35 engine. It would offer the potential to stretch the range of the Meridian with a tradeoff in climb performance in the flight levels. There are of course about 25 reasons why one wouldn't want to do that, but that doesn't mean you cant speculate.

what model Bonanza are you flying that does 200kts other than in a dive?

don't get me wrong i love the bonanza and have owned one and flew many others giving instruction and biannual at the time. i flown them all including the f33, a36, owned v35b. none of these did 200 knots.

I hope Cirrus sells so many airplanes!!!!!

Cirrus designed the SF50 to be an upgrade for the turbo owners primarily. If anything the existence of the jet makes all the Cirrus products more appealing and value retaining. The turbo fills a price/performance niche completely different than the SF50.

Cirrus is clear leader in the piston single market and now are alone in the VLJ market since all the other VLJ designs went bye bye and the backlog for the SF50 is at a five year max manufacturing rate.

there's already gobs and gobs of used cirrus for sale, I don't think because they sell one or two or 12 SF50's it's gonna make a big difference. never really understood why there are so many used cirri on the market at any given time.

My concern with the older used Cirrus is the airframe longevity due to the non-metal construction and high maintenance costs.

The used market for Cirrus is large because the installed base is over 6000 planes growing by 300 plus planes per year.

The Cirrus airframe life warranty is 12,000 hours. The TTx airframe life warranty is 24,000 hours. Boeing is building the 787 family in carbon fiber. Airbus is doing the same thing with their newest planes.

Meh....if one wants a flat screen TV and a chute I guess it's worth it. But, Bonanzas and Mooneys are fast for a fraction of the cost. My Bo does 200 kts no problemo....slightly faster than an SR. :D
what bonanza are you flying that does 200knots. I've every piston model and none of them go that fast. i do love the a36 and g36, but its more like 165 on the cruise.

what bonanza are you flying that does 200knots. I've every piston model and none of them go that fast. i do love the a36 and g36, but its more like 165 on the cruise.
Mine is a V35A with a TSIO520. The turbo 550s will do slightly better. The Mooney's are similar but more fuel efficient.

Keep in mind it needs to be up high to fast....16-18,000 feet. Down low I see 170 in go fast mode.

Back