Will an airplane engine failure on takeoff cause an aerodynamic stall?

Yep - fighter aircraft are designed to be unstable to make them more agile.
But they are augmented to make them feel stable (or in some cases neutrally stable) to the pilot in normal operating modes. What I'm saying is that an airplane that feels like an unstable airplane (and may be unstable) is not necessarily uncontrollable. Less than desirable, of course, but not necessarily unflyable.

Nauga,
and his T-shirt collection

That generalization does not hold true in the specific. It's highly dependent on wing design. There are airfoils and wings that will separate dramatically at or near critical AOA and abruptly lose lift (and lift coefficient). Some of these make excellent aerobatic airplanes, others will bite you in the *** if you aren't paying attention.

Nauga,
who never speaks in absolutes
Yet, Wikipedia ascribes that to all stalls, which just is in error. That's an absolute for you.

Contrary to popular belief an unstable airplane can be flyable, depending on just how unstable it is. Workload can be pretty high but it is not immediately out of the question. Instability in more than one axis is more troublesome. Lots of papers, guidelines, and rules of thumb on how much instability is tolerable and for how long, dive in at your peril.

Nauga,
who can neither confirm nor deny

I believe the Wright Flyer might have been one example.

[snip] Didn't see how many more posts there were, already covered

From wikipedia: "a stall is a reduction in the lift coefficient"

From FAA: "... above a wing's critical AOA ... which reduces lift and increases drag. This condition is a stall"

Do we have different definitions of a stall?

Incomplete quotations can change the meaning. What Wiki said is, "a stall is a reduction in the lift coefficient generated by a foil as angle of attack increases.[1] This occurs when the critical angle of attack of the foil is exceeded."

This is not a model specific thing. It is basic aerodynamics.

For conventional airplanes, true. But aircraft with high thrust lines (many ultralights and amphibians) may pitch up abruptly (and stall) if power is reduced suddenly.

The wikipedia article is wrong and reiterates the common myths and misinterpretation of the various graphs.

Exceeding the critical AOA does not result in a SUDDEN decrease in lift. It merely is the point where further increase in AOA doesn't yield an increase in lift. In fact, the lift vs. AOA curve is pretty symmetric around the critical angle (in fact, that article the plot they show actually shows a flatter decline past the critical angle than the slope leading up to it). What people tend to misinterpret is that the plot usually stops right after the stall point. Mostly this is because there's no useful flight regime up there, but it doesn't mean that lift just "disappears" when the line stops. What does happen is drag keeps going up while lift is going down, so in cases where there's insufficient power, you're continuing to slow down which decreases the lift further.

There is no "lift vs. AOA curve" or if there was, it would be a flat line in stabilized flight with a sudden drop at stall AOA. You are talking about CL and Wikipedia is talking about Lift, they aren't even the same thing. CL is an independent variable in the lift formula.

There is no "lift vs. AOA curve" or if there was, it would be a flat line in stabilized flight with a sudden drop at stall AOA. You are talking about CL and Wikipedia is talking about Lift, they aren't even the same thing. CL is an independent variable in the lift formula.
You're nitpicking over the terms, but Wikipedia is still wrong and the statement that there's a "sudden drop" is wrong either for lift or coefficient of lift. The coefficient of lift vs. AOA is fairly symmetrical as stated (and the plot even shows it gentler on the stalled side). Lift for our purposes is just coefficient of lift times flow speed anyway. I disagree that the lift vs. AOA would be flat, that isn't supported either by physics or practice.

You're nitpicking over the terms, but Wikipedia is still wrong and the statement that there's a "sudden drop" is wrong either for lift or coefficient of lift.

You are nitpicking over adjectives.

I disagree that the lift vs. AOA would be flat, that isn't supported either by physics or practice.

Lift is equal to weight in steady state flight.

...Wikipedia is still wrong and the statement that there's a "sudden drop" is wrong either for lift or coefficient of lift. The coefficient of lift vs. AOA is fairly symmetrical as stated (and the plot even shows it gentler on the stalled side).
You've said this more than once but I respond again that as a blanket statement this is incorrect. There *may* be a gradual reduction in lift, but in other cases it *may* be an abrupt reduction in CL or lift, pick your metric. Wings with sharp leading edges tend to have more abrupt separation than those with blunt, but then again that is not an absolute either.

Nauga,
who goes with the flow

Responding to the original post. Depends upon whether or not the pilot has enough experience (maybe two hours) to put the nose down a little. I think that for any competent pilot, they will have other problems that will be more threatening than the chance of a stall.

Bottom line: the nose drops rather abruptly. In only about 2.5 (+/- 0.4) seconds the plane has lost all the speed (~4.5 knots +/- 1.8) it is going to and will start accelerating to well above trim speed; the beginning of a phugoid. In my discussion on that web site I post my reasons for believing any GA airplane with a standard category certification by the FAA is unlikely to stall during a hands-off climb if an engine failure occurs. However, I think it a worthwhile exercise to perform at a safe altitude since I could be wrong!

Thanks for sharing the result of your experiment. I have seen enough ham-fisted pilots who don't trim to understand that some people would think that it would stall.

You've said this more than once but I respond again that as a blanket statement this is incorrect. There *may* be a gradual reduction in lift, but in other cases it *may* be an abrupt reduction in CL or lift, pick your metric. Wings with sharp leading edges tend to have more abrupt separation than those with blunt, but then again that is not an absolute either.

Nauga,
who goes with the flow
We're in violent agreement. Wikipedia does not say MAY, it says WILL. The page is wrong.

We're in violent agreement. Wikipedia does not say MAY, it says WILL. The page is wrong.

No, it doesn't say that. You are misquoting it. The page isn't wrong.

No, it doesn't say that. You are misquoting it. The page isn't wrong.
Stalls in fixed-wing flight are often experienced as a sudden reduction in lift as the pilot increases the wing's angle of attack and exceeds its critical angle of attack.

This is incorrect, even when couched with "often"

Stalls in fixed-wing flight are often experienced as a sudden reduction in lift as the pilot increases the wing's angle of attack and exceeds its critical angle of attack.

Then change it.

Incomplete quotations can change the meaning. What Wiki said is, "a stall is a reduction in the lift coefficient generated by a foil as angle of attack increases.[1] This occurs when the critical angle of attack of the foil is exceeded."
+1 for @Dana - Wiki's full statement is accurate. If the lift coefficient goes down as a result of the angle of attack going up, the airfoil is stalled.

- Martin

For conventional airplanes, true. But aircraft with high thrust lines (many ultralights and amphibians) may pitch up abruptly (and stall) if power is reduced suddenly.

In my defense, saying something is basic aerodynamics is not the same as saying it is universally true without exception. But I should have remembered that any general assertion on PoA will draw at least one response stating it is not true for a float-equipped SR-71. And also a recommendation to buy a Bonanza and a joke about pulling the chute on a Cirrus. So I will amend my statement to "this is basic aerodynamics for the common general aviation aircraft that most of us fly."

Some wings will almost always exhibit a 'sudden loss of lift', some wings won't, others might or might not depending on other entry conditions. Parse that however you like, but it appears that most of us understand the article, even if we don't use it as a definitive source.

Nauga,
with rollers and sliders

Some wings will almost always exhibit a 'sudden loss of lift'...
Time for a story from the trenches. I was involved with testing an airplane that had a requirement for less than something like 30 deg wing drop at stall. Day after day after day of stall testing with a variety of tiny (and I mean *tiny*) vortex generators, trip strips, fences....45, 60, 90 deg of rolloff. One particularly effective mod resulted in an abrupt 360 deg roll back to wings level and unstalled (i.e. recovered). I'm not sure if they were serious or not, but one of the test team proposed that this was technically a net 0 deg bank angle and therefore a success.

Nauga,
and dots...lots of dots...

The short answer is yes. The engine failure itself doesn't cause a stall, but then you have the nose pointed at a high deck angle you'll bleed off speed astonishingly quickly, and if you don't push the nose hard over quickly you can indeed stall the aircraft.

Time for a story from the trenches. I was involved with testing an airplane that had a requirement for less than something like 30 deg wing drop at stall. Day after day after day of stall testing with a variety of tiny (and I mean *tiny*) vortex generators, trip strips, fences....45, 60, 90 deg of rolloff. One particularly effective mod resulted in an abrupt 360 deg roll back to wings level and unstalled (i.e. recovered). I'm not sure if they were serious or not, but one of the test team proposed that this was technically a net 0 deg bank angle and therefore a success.

Nauga,
and dots...lots of dots...

Now that would be a fun ride :D Can you tell us what the mod was?

Can you tell us what the mod was?
I probably could if I could remember, but it was ~30 years ago. There were so many different combinations of tiny little gizmos to try to tailor separation and moderate the 'sudden loss of lift' on one wing that I can't recall the specifics of any particular test. The final fix was a much more invasive and extensive airframe mod.

Nauga,
snapped

The short answer is yes. The engine failure itself doesn't cause a stall, but then you have the nose pointed at a high deck angle you'll bleed off speed astonishingly quickly, and if you don't push the nose hard over quickly you can indeed stall the aircraft.
What's wrong with just allowing the nose to fall?

To straightly answer the question asked:

"Will an airplane engine failure on takeoff cause an aerodynamic stall?"

Clearly the answer is no.

Just ask the NTSB. It may be listed as a contributing factor if the pilot doesn't get the nose pointed in the right direction in a hurry ...

The airplane is trimmed to climb about 5 mph or knots above stall
I think you answered it mostly yourself.. a typical, stable, GA plane will obey well the airspeed it is trimmed to. So if you are trimmed to 5mph above stall, the plane will fly 5mph above stall. The plane will take a moment or two to react, but if trimmed properly it will fly that trim. The pedants here will say "yeah but the 'obscure-plane-that-there-are-3-examples-of-does-x" but your everyday GA piece of trash plane (172, PA-28, 152) will simply fly the trimmed airspeed you have, hands off. You pull the power, the nose goes down, you add power, the nose comes up. Based on these responses here it makes me think some people have never bothered to trim a plane out in flight, have never stalled a plane (or haven't in decades) or worse, believe trim corresponds to aircraft pitch.. (about 5 posts above mine)

Here is one example
Both these people are idiots. I lost it for flightchops after they blew some planes off the ramp at OSH doing a DC-3 run up in a long line of planes. Dan Gryder is good only for the occasional session of banjo music and masochism

Will an airplane engine failure during a takeoff climb cause an aerodynamic stall?

Generally not by itself with the pilot's hands off the yoke, no.

But, one interesting case: The straight-leg 182 I used to fly, Vx was equal to the power-off flaps-up stall speed. So, if you were in a Vx climb and lost it, I would posit that it *might* stall in the process of returning to stable flight, simply because with those two speeds being equal and the fact that the sudden loss of thrust to counteract drag would result in at least a momentary reduction below the stall speed for that configuration, it would probably stall and then self-recover. However, it would probably not be noticeably different than any other airplane.

Can someone lend me a 182? I need to do some flight testing. :D

Which 182 variant was this? I'd like to see those specs.
Agreed. It would seem odd and very anti-Cessna to have an aircraft like a C182 with a Vx equal to full flap stall. Of course, you normally don't climb at Vx with flaps hanging out.

Which 182 variant was this? I'd like to see those specs.

It was a 1971 N. 63 mph IIRC.

Agreed. It would seem odd and very anti-Cessna to have an aircraft like a C182 with a Vx equal to full flap stall. Of course, you normally don't climb at Vx with flaps hanging out.

I did not say full flap stall. that was 5 mph slower IIRC. But flaps up power off stall.

No it won't. You have an airplane, go try it. Trim for climbout, take your hand off the yoke and pull the power off and watch what happens. Pilots only stall in this case because they actively ADD aft elevator to attempt to hold the climb attitude after the engine failure. You do not have to shove the nose down. Pilots are just told this in an attempt to keep them from continuing to add aft elevator in this situation.

No it won't. You have an airplane, go try it. Trim for climbout, take your hand off the yoke and pull the power off and watch what happens. Pilots only stall in this case because they actively ADD aft elevator to attempt to hold the climb attitude after the engine failure. You do not have to shove the nose down. Pilots are just told this in an attempt to keep them from continuing to add aft elevator in this situation.
I've actually tested it many times in his exact model aircraft. He is incorrect.

It was a 1971 N. 63 mph IIRC.

I did not say full flap stall. that was 5 mph slower IIRC. But flaps up power off stall.

Found a 1970 POH. Interestingly, it has 2 sets of performance specs, one for the 182N and one for the "Skylane". The distinction appears to be fairings.

Maximum performance takeoff is 63 mph with 20 degrees flaps.

Stall speed for the 182N is 56mph flaps up, 57 flaps down. Stall speed for the Skylane is 61mph flaps up, 52mph flaps down. Assuming that last figure is for 40 degrees, I'm going to interpolate and estimate stall speed for 20 flaps at being in the middle of the range, or 57mph.

So the split between Vx and stall speed is somewhere around 6mph for both variants. That is 1970 data.

Seems to be a misconception that you will instantly stall if your airspeed goes below stall speed. Not the case.

Most pilots know you can stall at any airspeed. We all learn in training that stall speed is higher at increased bank angles and load factors.

But the reverse is also true. That is, you can also remain flying below published stall speed if the load factor is less than 1G.

Example from aerobatics: when I fly a loop, I relax the stick and float over the top at 40mph inverted. That is well below the 58mph stall speed of my Decathlon. Yet I am not stalled and remain in full control of the aircraft. The reason is because my load factor is 0G.

Same thing happens when you lose power on climb out. Decaying airspeed and shifting relative wind reduces downward force on H stab. That allows nose to drop, reducing AoA and load factor. As long as you do not impede that by pulling back on the stick to increase AoA, you will not stall, even if your aispeed drops below stall speed.

CAVEAT: the above assumes your CG is forward of aft CG limit and thus center of lift. CG aft of limit, all bets are off.

Last edited:
Back