Wife lost her job & I'm flight training - best city or state to move to???

Skydreamer2015

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Skydreamer2015
My wife lost her job after 15 years in the oil and gas. I'm flight training and wanting to get all my licenses and ratings and chase my dream of flying for my dollar. Where is the best city or state to look at for jobs for her and flight training for me? She like to stay in the oil and gas, but not looking real good at this time. I like to move to where flight training is reasonable in cost with plenty of good flying weather and opportunities for a flying job after I complete my training. We have an empty nest and we are excited for new adventures and will to consider all places. We would prefer to live where the winters are mild. We have lived in Wyoming for the last 15 years and ready for milder winters and lower cost of living expenses. Thanks for the help guys and gals!!

Iowa?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a job or is your wife the only bread winner? If you do not, maybe you should postpone your flying and contribute to the income stream.

What's your wife's experience in oil and gas? Are we talking geo, engr, tech, back office?

My wife lost her job after 15 years in the oil and gas. I'm flight training and wanting to get all my licenses and ratings and chase my dream of flying for my dollar. Where is the best city or state to look at for jobs for her and flight training for me? She like to stay in the oil and gas, but not looking real good at this time. I like to move to where flight training is reasonable in cost with plenty of good flying weather and opportunities for a flying job after I complete my training. We have an empty nest and we are excited for new adventures and will to consider all places. We would prefer to live where the winters are mild. We have lived in Wyoming for the last 15 years and ready for milder winters and lower cost of living expenses. Thanks for the help guys and gals!!

New Mexico has some good O&G companies. Also great flying weather.

Check out Albuquerque/Rio Rancho.

Yeah, if she just lost her job in O&G then she also knows now is not the best time to be looking for an O&G job. My wife is in the industry also. Fortunately her company goes to great lengths to retain people when the industry downturns. Still sweating it, but not as bad as some people.

Good luck. You *might* wanna put the 'dream' on hold until youre both employed.

What does she do in oil & gas and what city are you in now? Is her job portable to other industries (e.g., accounting, business, etc.)?

The simple answer: If she is the bread winner right now you go wherever she can get work and pick up the flying there. There are flight schools everywhere.

If she's married to oil and gas then you'll be looking at the major petroleum cities of Houston, Dallas, Austin, Denver, Pittsburgh, Midland, San Antonio, Bakersfield and there are many others out there depending on what she does.

What part of 'Oil and Gas'? Since most of the service industry lies between Houston and Houma LA, that would probably be a good region to look.

My wife would like to stay in the oil and gas, but is willing to cross over into other fields that fit her experience. After 15 years, she has climbed from being administrative assistant to data management to competitive analyst. She has a lot of experience in doing her job in the field as well not just in the office.

As for me, we have the money earmarked and set aside for me to do my training. Our thoughts is to make my "job" for 4-6 months is complete all my training while maybe taking on a part time job like maybe working for a FBO on the line or whatnot. We like to be in an area where I could go to work flying as an instructor or doing jumpers or whatever low time job I can find after I complete my training.

I hope this answers some questions where you all can maybe help us find a direction. Thanks!

... the major petroleum cities of Houston, Dallas, Austin, Denver, Pittsburgh, Midland, San Antonio, Bakersfield and there are many others out there depending on what she does.

Also think Canada. Edmonton is a major petroleum city as well...

Montana. Might have to redefine "mild winter".

TX, AZ, NM. TX still has the best O&G probability. Gas wells between I-35 and Midland are still growing. Eastern NM also. TX economy is still booming despite the downturns in upstream oil production. Plenty of downstream activity in TX. Refineries are running about 80% capacity as gas use goes up when prices go down.

I'd prolly advise somewhere around Abilene or Plainview or that gen area.

TX, AZ, NM. TX still has the best O&G probability. Gas wells between I-35 and Midland are still growing. Eastern NM also. TX economy is still booming despite the downturns in upstream oil production. Plenty of downstream activity in TX. Refineries are running about 80% capacity as gas use goes up when prices go down.

I'd prolly advise somewhere around Abilene or Plainview or that gen area.

I did my training in 1995 at Basin Aviation with a great instructor named Jack Rich at Midland Airpark (KMDD). Great place to learn to fly. No such thing as a windless day and always a chance to practice in xwinds and thermals.

Midland International (KMAF) and Lubbock (KLBB) were available for Class C practice. XCs to Lubbock, Hobbs, Lamesa, Big Spring, San Angelo, etc. Good times.

Houston, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Tulsa will all prolly work. New Mexico is okay but the industry is scattered compared to Oklahoma and Texas. Wichita is a possibility but Kansas oil & gas is pretty inbred - gotta know somebody. Denver you prolly already know. Lots of flight training right now but it was (comparatively) dead two years ago.

...still wondering what O&G industry Cowboy thinks is in AZ...

AZ for oil and gas? Really?

I have lived here all my life and never knew this.

No, not really. The San Juan Basin and part of the Paradox Basin just barely touch the northeastern corner of AZ in the Four Corners area but there is very little production in AZ.

No, not really. The San Juan Basin and part of the Paradox Basin just barely touch the northeastern corner of AZ in the Four Corners area but there is very little production in AZ.

and darned few company offices there...I think maybe I've run across one AZ based company

and darned few company offices there...I think maybe I've run across one AZ based company

Yeah Farmington is good though. I really like that area. That's a cool airport too. Launch off a mesa right over town.

Pinon Hills Golf Course still ranks as one of the most memorable courses I've played.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about you wife getting laid off.
I'd recommend Florida, but just yesterday a Teledyne engineer told me he was laid off because of the downturn in the oil & gas industry. But he was happy about it. They gave him a severance package and now he has more time to finish the restore job he is doing in the hangar next to me.

Houston Texas is the Oil Capital... Lots and Lots of Big Oil Companies.

AZ for oil and gas? Really?

I have lived here all my life and never knew this.

I think your comprehension skills are rather poor.

TX, AZ, NM. TX still has the best O&G probability.

You see, this little dot which I've identified special just for you indicates the end of one logical statement, and the beginning of a new, separate logical statement which you can find in italics.

Schools out, and you should get your money back from where-ever you presumably graduated grade school.:mad2:

I don't know who said AZ has any O&G industry?.... :dunno:

Sorry to hear about the wife getting dumped...:(..

I thought the rest of Wyoming was pretty cheap to live in compared to "The Hole".........

As for the winters , since Al Gore proclaimed Global Warming is here now I just planted a few acres of Palm trees and Banana bushes...;)....:D

Houston Texas is the Oil Capital... Lots and Lots of Big Oil Companies.

True, but Louisiana has more field service companies, and even when exploration is shut down, production service is still always going. That's why I was working commercial dive boats, they never get stacked, supply boats follow the boom/bust cycle with drilling.

I could recommend Tulsa/OKC, OK. Winters are mild, lots of decent flying weather even in the winter. You can always go further south to DFW/Houston, TX, but it will be considerably more crowded and higher cost of living. I'd avoid LA simply because the market for most production/completion has dried up over the past few years. Denver is always a good spot, but it throws your mild winter wishes out the door a bit. Midland/Odessa, TX has great weather, but it's about as boring as could be out there unless you like looking at drilling rigs and mesquite trees. Midland has weathered the slow down pretty well, so production has been pretty solid out there.

However, I will say that for most O&G, regardless of upstream/mid/down, it's pretty slim pickings for employment these days. There is a lot of fat-trimming and outright downsizing occurring still (as you're intimately aware), and acquisitions are imminent. It's great if she can get work, but I wouldn't necessarily concentrate my focus on this industry if you are looking to make a quick move. That being said, if you can handle the booms/busts, it's a profitable industry to be a part of.

I think your comprehension skills are rather poor.

TX, AZ, NM. TX still has the best O&G probability.

You see, this little dot which I've identified special just for you indicates the end of one logical statement, and the beginning of a new, separate logical statement which you can find in italics.

Schools out, and you should get your money back from where-ever you presumably graduated grade school.:mad2:

I don't know who said AZ has any O&G industry?.... :dunno:

i5b16z.jpg

My wife lost her job after 15 years in the oil and gas. I'm flight training and wanting to get all my licenses and ratings and chase my dream of flying for my dollar.

What ratings do you currently have? If you are still working on your ASEL rating, here's what is in front of you:

Student Pilot---requires passing of a written exam.

Private Pilot (ASEL-Aircraft Single Engine-Land)--requires passing a written exam and Flight Check Ride

Private Pilot License or PPL (ASEL Instrument)--requires passing a written exam and Flight Check Ride

Commercial Pilot (CPL ASEL Instrument) --requires passing a written exam and Flight Check Ride

Flight Instructor ASE (there are several levels on this rating. They are in order: CFI, CFII, and MEI)--requires passing a written exam and Flight Check Ride

Flight Instructor ASE, Instrument (as sited above)

Commercial Pilot ASEL AMEL, Instrument--requires passing a written exam and Flight Check Ride

Flight Instructor ASE, AME, Instrument (as cited above)

Airline Transport Pilot (ATP)--the highest rating, requires passing a written exam and Flight Check Ride

It's going to take a lot of time, effort, and money to get to a Commercial and ATP rating. You are in a rather precarious situation with a single source of income. In the US you'll need 1,500 hours to be qualified for a copilot's seat at a regional airline.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just pointing out the goal is far in the future. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Sorry to hear about the wife getting dumped...:(..

I thought the rest of Wyoming was pretty cheap to live in compared to "The Hole".........

As for the winters , since Al Gore proclaimed Global Warming is here now I just planted a few acres of Palm trees and Banana bushes...;)....:D

We must be neighbors! I'm in Pinedale! Cost of living is pretty high here. Second to Jackson! We are considering Idaho Falls since the cost of living is much lower there than Pinedale & I can train at the AvCenter in IF. Wife is looking for jobs in Jackson & if she found one there then we would live in Teton Valley or Star Valley & I would commute for my training. Have any leads in "The Hole" for job for her? :)

We must be neighbors! I'm in Pinedale! Cost of living is pretty high here. Second to Jackson! We are considering Idaho Falls since the cost of living is much lower there than Pinedale & I can train at the AvCenter in IF. Wife is looking for jobs in Jackson & if she found one there then we would live in Teton Valley or Star Valley & I would commute for my training. Have any leads in "The Hole" for job for her? :)

Actually.... I might know a few.. Businesses here are begging for help..

My ranch/private airport is between Pinedale and Jackson..

https://www.airnav.com/airport/2WY3

AZ has awesome flying weather and certainly mild winters unless you live in Flagstaff or the mountains.

Employment opportunities .....not so much.

Houston...cheap to live and at the epicenter of oil and gas both domestic and international. We also have thriving GA.

I have spent many days at the Pinedale airport, mostly in the 10-15 years ago range, but have been there as recently as a couple weeks ago. I can't recall ever seeing any flight instruction going on. I remember the first time I saw Pinedale and thinking, we are going to be coming here every week, why?

Back