Wife is Taking the Airlines

Really? SWA usually always runs the cheapest in my experiences. Usually always compare between the big three (AAL, DAL, UAL) and SWA is most always the lowest, especially if you can snag one of their ‘wanna get away’ fares.
Actually, if they're on a route competing against SWA, they probably have approximately the same fares (ignoring baggage fees). Airline fares alternate being ultra competitive to collusive price fixing. United managed to run a few upstarts out of the business by fare manipulation.

That seat is now reserved for Mr. Cello. No. the point is that the airlines have become strictly a bottom line operation. Seat pitch has been reduced so that another row can be added for six more passengers. Not to mention the "average" passenger is now 10 pounds larger.
The glory days of airline travel are gone.

Airline passengers are getting exactly what they want*.

*willing to pay for. They yearn for the glory days of travel, but for the most part are completely unwilling to pay for it. There are different levels of service. Pony up the coin for first and make the wife happy.

That seat is now reserved for Mr. Cello. No. the point is that the airlines have become strictly a bottom line operation. Seat pitch has been reduced so that another row can be added for six more passengers. Not to mention the "average" passenger is now 10 pounds larger.
The glory days of airline travel are gone.
They are meeting the market demands. It not like the airlines are “doing” it. Customers demand it. Then like to ***** like little girls because the seat is uncomfortable or they don’t get premium service in the cabin.

Frankly, in my opinion, the overhead bin is the BANE of air travel. I'd give everybody a checked bag for free and charge $40 to carry anything on board that doesn't fit under the seat. Then we could get on and off the plane in less than 30 minutes and we wouldn't need the silly nine boarding categories.

Bingo!

I've actually gotten to the point that I check my bag fairly regularly. I have enough status on Delta, so I can check it for free. I don't have to lug it around all through the airport, don't have to worry about finding a spot in the overhead (though I usually book exit row, which is usually wide open when I board), and I rarely have to wait more than 5 minutes at the baggage claim on the way out, which honestly, if I weren't standing in line there, I would be standing in line at the rental car desk or Uber curb. Added bonus, I can pack full-sized toothpaste!

As a pseudo Process Engineer, when I'm sitting on the plane waiting for the line of people trying to squeeze one last bag into the overhead bin and I look out and see all the rampers standing around twiddling their thumbs while the APU just sits and hums along burning fuel, I often wonder if the true cost-benefit of charging for checked baggage is really making the airlines any more money. It definitely increases board/deboard times, which reduces gate turn cycles, which increases wasted labor for rampers standing around doing nothing. Not to mention the general passenger 'experience' of stressing about baggage. It definitely has to be a net-loss to charge for checked baggage.

Last edited:
Yeah, since I live in the CLT area, I'm pretty much American to anywhere these days. I have one of the credit cards that gives me a free bag.

I don't wait in rental car lines unless someone screws up badly. I have Avis Preferred/Hertz #1 Gold/National Emerald Club which is supposed to have my car waiting for me without going to the counter.

Flying commercial these days is nothing more than riding in a greyhound bus at a higher elevation.
First class is still a semi enjoyable experience but nothing like it used to be.

I upgraded a LAX to LAS ticket to first recently (was 50 bucks). Free cocktails, a seat that actually fit my shoulders (they're wide enough to overlap into the seat next to me), and a real glass to drink out of. Totally worth the money.

Yeah, since I live in the CLT area, I'm pretty much American to anywhere these days. I have one of the credit cards that gives me a free bag.

I don't wait in rental car lines unless someone screws up badly. I have Avis Preferred/Hertz #1 Gold/National Emerald Club which is supposed to have my car waiting for me without going to the counter.

Yup. I like walking out and picking out whichever car I want. Even with Hertz, if you don't like what they assigned you on the Gold board, you can swap it.

Yeah, I have Executive Elite with National which is handy at most airports, but some of the smaller places I go don't have the Emerald Aisle, so I still have to go to the counter to get the keys unfortunately.

I find that SWA is the same or slightly higher than the other majors on the routes I fly. I fly every week, but mostly to the same few places, so that’s purely anectdotal.

I carry on a bag for the overhead every week, even though SWA will check it for free. I don’t want to be forced to arrive a little earlier to wait in a line for 20 minutes to give my bag to the agent at the departure end and I don’t want to wait 20-30 minutes for my bag at the destination. I walk directly from the plane to the rental car, so there’s no waiting there either. I spend time in the airport security line annoyed at how TSA precheck has expanded the participants but not the capacity. And there’s something called Clear that appears to be a private company who can cut the precheck line.

My bigger annoyance is that my employer is slowly pushing us away from refundable fares to the cheaper ones. If I fly AA, I get stuck in the back without enough room to open my computer and do some work on the flight. If I think it will work, sometimes I will wait until the last minute to buy a ticket and hope all that’s left is premium economy or business class. That gimmick rarely works these days. So for me, I’m annoyed at the way my work trips have gone from a semi productive 2-3 hour flight to lost time. Obviously it’s not really saving anyone money, but when the line on the bill says “expenses” instead of “hours” people seem to look at it differently.

That said, it’s still worth it for me to jump on a 45-60 minute SWA flight instead of driving 3 hours. Works out to slightly less time traveling but saves my sanity (and miles on my car).

Bingo!

I've actually gotten to the point that I check my bag fairly regularly. I have enough status on Delta, so I can check it for free. I don't have to lug it around all through the airport, don't have to worry about finding a spot in the overhead (though I usually book exit row, which is usually wide open when I board), and I rarely have to wait more than 5 minutes at the baggage claim on the way out, which honestly, if I weren't standing in line there, I would be standing in line at the rental car desk or Uber curb. Added bonus, I can pack full-sized toothpaste!

As a pseudo Process Engineer, when I'm sitting on the plane waiting for the line of people trying to squeeze one last bag into the overhead bin and I look out and see all the rampers standing around twiddling their thumbs while the APU just sits and hums along burning fuel, I often wonder if the true cost-benefit of charging for checked baggage is really making the airlines any more money. It definitely increases board/deboard times, which reduces gate turn times, which increases wasted labor for rampers standing around doing nothing. Not to mention the general passenger 'experience' of stressing about baggage. It definitely has to be a net-loss to charge for checked baggage.
same here. I have the Alaska credit card which gets me a free checked so that I can bring regular sized stuff, not have to pull my cpap to be swiped at the xray (have to do this even with TSA pre check). then stroll around the airport with just my small laptop bag and pick up my checked bag at destination.

not as easy as parking the truck 5' from the tail feathers of our own and putting the bags behind the kids int he Skyhawk, but work won't let me fly myself.

She has a short window of time when she can go and visit her grandbaby so she has to take the airlines. This is what you get for over $500. One carry on, such as a purse, is allowed and it must fit under the seat. You are not allowed to use the over head bins.

All this and I can't believe they still fill the planes. Cattle cars with wings.

• United Basic Economy Fare Rules
    Restrictions include:
  • No complimentary seat selection — pay to choose seats, or seats will be assigned prior to boarding.

• You may travel with a personal item that fits under the seat in front of you, but can't bring a full-sized carry-on bag on board unless you're a MileagePlus® Premier® member, primary card member of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or Star Alliance™ Gold member. Check bags before airport security for the applicable fee (starting at $25). Full-sized carry-on bags brought to the gate incur an additional $25 gate handling charge (total starting at $50).

• The ticket is nonrefundable and can't be changed.

• You'll earn award miles, but you will not earn Premier qualifying credit or toward lifetime miles, and you will not be eligible for Economy Plus® seating or any upgrades. American Airlines Basic Economy Fare Rules
    Restrictions include:

• 1 personal item that fits under the seat (no access to overhead bin)

• Seats assigned at check-in*

• Not eligible for upgrades*

• No flight changes or refunds*

• Board in last group
    *Restrictions apply to all passengers, including AAdvantage elite members

• We understand that sometimes plans change. We do not charge a cancel or change fee. When the airline charges such fees in accordance with its own policies, the cost will be passed on to you.

• Tickets are nonrefundable, nontransferable and name changes are not allowed.

• Please read the complete penalty rules for changes and cancellations (Opens in a new window.) applicable to this fare.

• Please read important information regarding airline liability limitations (Opens in a new window.).
Obviously it’s an acceptable deal, or......

Back