Why????

GAZOO

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GAZOO
Why does everyone say PPL when it should be PPC?:dunno::mad2::D

Okay everyone, he made the post! Figure out who won the pool and we can start calling it PPC again. Y'all were great. What next?

Because PPC is a powered parachute. Besides the proper abbreviation is PP-ASEL. We could just use PP and try not to giggle.

Because PPC is a powered parachute. Besides the proper abbreviation is PP-ASEL. We could just use PP and try not to giggle.

Power parachute would be pp. Parachute is one word:rolleyes:

Well I'm sure there's a lot of PPs and many of them are certifiable so it's probably a good idea not to get CPPs mixed up with PPCs. People get confused easy. So they came up with PPL. :p

In reality, we all know they're not licenses. They're certificates. It's just sometimes a bad habit and easier to explain to "outsiders" if you say you have a license.

Why? Because how would you like to fly with a guy that just introduced himself as a certificated pilot.

In FAA world you are issued a "certificate" which is yours until you either (a) turn it in, or (b) have it revoked.

In the rest of the world (ICAO) they issue "licenses" that do expire and have to be renewed, just the same as the medical.

From a search on Google:

Certification is granted by a professional organization, usually after a educational and/or testing process has been met.

Once certified, a license may be obtained from the appropriate government agency. A license is a requirement to practice many professions.

That is not always true. The Federal Aviation Administration does not issue a license. They only issue certificates. There is no such thing as a pilot's license or aircraft mechanics license. These are both certificates.

A license will expire but a certification doesn't. Certifications may require additional training to maintain the currency of the certificate but they are valid until surrendered, suspended, or revoked.

I never use that abbreviation, I might refer to the certificate as a license in casual conversation because the public (as opposed to aviators) has an easier time equating a pilot certificate to a driver's license (something they are familiar with).

PPC to me will always mean Performance Planning Card. I could never use that to describe my certificate.

1stlic.jpg

Haha picture licenses in 1927 and we can't do it now for less then a billion bucks. What a bunch of retards we are.

My flight instructor certificate sure has an expiration date. Or is it a license?

"License vs. certificate" is a semantic argument, you can pick and choose which definitions of certificate or license you want to use to support your "cause". I don't see that it matters, if you say you have a license, everybody knows what you mean. Isn't that the purpose of language anyway?

My flight instructor certificate sure has an expiration date. Or is it a license?

"License vs. certificate" is a semantic argument, you can pick and choose which definitions of certificate or license you want to use to support your "cause". I don't see that it matters, if you say you have a license, everybody knows what you mean. Isn't that the purpose of language anyway?

A license is that which fits the definition of "license", such as an airman certificate.

A certficate is the physical evidence of your license.

Is there a hyphen between the words "anal" and "retentive" when used together? :confused::confused::D

Pretty much everyone I have ever met, pilots included, simply refer to it as a pilot's license. Occasionally you will hear someone call it a certificate, or sometimes just their "ticket". Really the only time I have ever heard anyone make a distinction was during my oral exam... and, of course, here on POA where even the mots nit-picky details can be debated to death forever.

Is there a hyphen between the words "anal" and "retentive" when used together? :confused::confused::D

Problem is modern aviation aggressively selects for anal-rententive personalities. After the nutters figured it all out.

Imo, the certificate (which it is) vs. Licence argument falls into the catagory of "I don't care, call it whatever you want."

Back