Why you should never let yourself get rushed during a preflight

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
This past Sunday was male bonding day with Sean. He's acutely aware of his duties as co-pilot, and equally aware of the fact that he can't do his duties from the back seat when that mean, nasty navigator (otherwise known as Mom) usurps his proper place in the right front seat. Now, Sean is a problem solver, not a whiner, so he developed a solution to this problem. "Daddy, I think it would be fun for me and you to have some Daddy/Sean time in a plane. We should take a 152 flying, Mommy can find something else to do, since there are only two seats." LOL... the peasants have revolted. Actually, one of the things I was hoping to be able to use flying for is to help develope a strong bond for the teen years. He's only just coming up on 7, but if there's one thing I've learned being a parent it's that children apparently come with a built in time warp. Time just disappears around them. So, Cathy has said she will surrender one flight a month to the two of us, and Sean get's his place in the REAL co-pilot's seat.

Our first such flight was scheduled for this past Sunday. Gary Shelby was going to fly down and meet us at Perk Valley (N10) with a couple passengers, then we were all going to head for York (THV) and breakfast. Sean and I show up to the airport early, pre-flight the plane we have scheduled about the same time Gary arrives, get headsets, gps, etc. all established in the plane, and all we have to do is wait for Abe the manager to arrive and give up the keys. Abe arrives, and informs me the vacuum pump on that plane is broke. Rats... yes you can fly without it, but in the thick haze we had, it seems an unnecessary risk, especially when there are five other planes available for me to take. So, we begin the task of carting all the crap from one plane to the other (a bag drag, we called it when such things happened in the Air Force) and preflighting the new plane. It needed gas, so I didn't check the sumps.

Finish pre-flighting, Abe tows the plane to the pumps, Sean and I hit the bathroom, and I fire up my pre-flight cigarette while the gas is being pumped. It's early, but really hot, and really really humid. Downright unpleasant on the ramp. Tried calling FSS to check TFRs, for only the second time since the LM switchover didn't get through (used to be routine), and decided to hope the President didn't decide to come to Central PA for his own breakfast. By this time, we are WAY later than we'd planned. While I was on the phone, Gary had started loading his passengers, and when I came out he was starting up. I started feeling like maybe I should quit lolligagging around. Buckled Sean in, and then remembered that I hadn't sumped the tanks. And a dirty, dirty thought entered my mind.... in six years of flying I've only found water in the fuel once, and it was just a tiny bit... I'm making us all late.... what are the odds that I really need to check the fuel? I almost went ahead and climbed in without sumping the tanks. Would have been the first time in six years I did that, at least for the first flight of the day or after refueling. Thankfully, I retained a shred of self discipline and did the deed.

It took me 6 or 7 tries to get a clean sample from the gascolator.

Joe Williams said:
It took me 6 or 7 tries to get a clean sample from the gascolator.

Good job Joe. In more than 12 years of flying I have never found water or sediment in a fuel sample. My Tiger is hangared so I know rain water does not get in. Guess what? I sump all four drains every time before I fly along with the other pre-flight items. The few minutes it takes to do is worth the peace of mine on take off. Just common sense, which, unfortunatley isn't so common sometimes.

Excellent lesson, Joe!
Anthony said:
Good job Joe. In more than 12 years of flying I have never found water or sediment in a fuel sample. My Tiger is hangared so I know rain water does not get in. Guess what? I sump all four drains every time before I fly along with the other pre-flight items. The few minutes it takes to do is worth the peace of mine on take off. Just common sense, which, unfortunatley isn't so common sometimes.
You know the one time you don't, that will be the time the roof leaked...

Anthony said:
Good job Joe. In more than 12 years of flying I have never found water or sediment in a fuel sample.

*snork* Twice in the 2.5yrs I've been flying I've found a good bit of water in the Skyhawk. I'll ALWAYS pull the samples, unless Dr Bruce's zulu are closing in...

Joe Williams said:
I fire up my pre-flight cigarette while the gas is being pumped. .

Uh please tell me that Abe was fueling up the plane. LOL ! I'm sure he was. As for the rush I always say better late than dead. We all have those deamons that call to us to hurry up. Its whether we listen to them or not that matters.

Bill said:
I'll ALWAYS pull the samples, unless Dr Bruce's zulu are closing in...

I thought it was Ron's Horvida (sp?) indians that were always chasing us? :)

Last edited:
AdamZ said:
Uh please tell me that Abe was fueling up the plane. LOL ! I'm sure he was. As for the rush I always say better late than dead. We all have those deamons that call to us to hurry up. Its whether we listen to them or not that matters.

LOL yeah... Abe fills the planes himself. He actually puts on a heck of a one-armed paper hanger show running that place.

What's interesting is that the time pressure was all self induced. Nobody was rushing me, we didn't actually have to be anywhere at any particular time... I just started feeling like I should pick up the pace.

Good call, Joe.

At a place which shall remain unnamed, where I learned to fly fixed-wing, I sumped a Warrior ang got mega amounts of water in the sample. I couldn't get it to deliver a clean sample after a couple of dozen tries and rejected the plane.

Now here's the scary part. A CFI at the unnamed club actually flew the plane with a student that morning before I got there... So unless somebody dumped the water in the tanks after he was done, he and his student were very, very lucky dudes.

I probably would have gone without the vacuum pump, but that's becuase we don't have a DG in the R22 (there is an AI and TC, but I never use the TC info and rarely glance at the AI) and I'm used to holding a VFR course with the vertical card compass alone. No nav radio either!

Joe Williams said:
Nobody was rushing me, we didn't actually have to be anywhere at any particular time... I just started feeling like I should pick up the pace.

We were wondering what was happening. NEVER feel rushed, too easy to miss something. We just did some big circles and sightseeing until we heard you launch, couldn't have been more than 5 minutes. You did leave out the last event - that the gas gage went kaput half way to THV.

Gary

Last edited:
RotaryWingBob said:
but that's becuase we don't have a DG in the R22 (there is an AI and TC, but I never use the TC info and rarely glance at the AI) and I'm used to holding a VFR course with the vertical card compass alone. No nav radio either!

I assume you've ordered better equipment for the R44, considering it can be used for XC flying?

Gary said:
We were wondering what was happening. NEVER feel rushed, too easy to miss something. We just did some big circles and sightseeing until we heard you launch, couldn't have been more than 5 minutes. You did leave out the last event - that the gas gage went kaput half way to THV.

Gary

Nope, only took a minute or two to do things right. I'm kicking myself for even allowing myself to consider blowing it off. The gas guage didn't bother me too much. I couldn't see any gas coming off the wing, the right side wasn't getting heavy, so I knew it was the guage. In any case, I seem to remember it was working again when I left THV, only to be inop by the time I reached N10. Abe said he'll order a new sending unit.

Best part of the flight was Sean's response when I told him we were 15 minutes from home: "Well, that doesn't make me happy. I want to stay up longer." Ya'll may remember I had some concerns a while back about whether or not he'd get over the very real fears he had when we were flying.... they are all gone now. If being at 2500 feet on a nice hot summer day in a 152, with the constant bumps and wiggles that brings with it, doesn't bother him, he's all good :)

Joe Williams said:
LOL yeah... Abe fills the planes himself. He actually puts on a heck of a one-armed paper hanger show running that place.

What's interesting is that the time pressure was all self induced. Nobody was rushing me, we didn't actually have to be anywhere at any particular time... I just started feeling like I should pick up the pace.

Good catch, Joe. That's the right way to learn a lesson. I had a similar situation on my first flight with my 3 daughters... except it involved carb heat and a lack of normal takeoff power on departure. Kicked myself for 'out of my normal routine' making me depart with carb heat on. YIKES!

Since Abe put in the fuel, did you also get up there and verify quantities and secure caps?

Last edited:
Troy Whistman said:
snip
Since Abe put in the fuel, did you also get up there and verify quantities and secure caps?

Sigh.. I don't think I did. More kicks for me.

Troy Whistman said:

Another reason to fly a Grumman. Easy access fuel caps that actually encourage you to check them.....often. :)

And if you can't kneel down or bend over to take a fuel sample you shouldn't be flying a plane. (before someone says it) ;)

Bill Jennings said:
I assume you've ordered better equipment for the R44, considering it can be used for XC flying?
Actually my partners and I do plenty of XC in the R22!

Yes and no, Bill. To get a full 6-pack you have to get a larger (2 more holes) panel. We didn't do this because we all agreed that we like the visibility the stock panel gives.

So we're actually giving up the TC so that the hole can be used for the CDI for the Garmin 430 which will be Comm 2. So we're losing one gyro, gaining a nav radio. The Garmin CDI is one whole hell of a lot easier to read than the one on the Garmin 250XL we have in the R22. The AI has a ball under it, so we're not losing anything that I find useful in a helicopter by ditching the TC. The other upgrade is going to an instant VSI. We are also mounting a Garmin 496 above the panel, and that will be the primary navigation source.

Why a 496? Because mounted up there it's easy for the pilot to include in his scan for other aircraft. Looking down is bad in a helicopter. Playing with the 250XL in the R22 is almost guaranteed to put you in either a nose up or nose down attitude if you don't look outside every couple of seconds :hairraise:

Good for you Joe!

Choose one:
(a) Two minute time delay
(b) Crash into the trees and be seriously late
IMNSHO: If you're in too big of a hurry to take a couple extra minutes, you're in too big of a hurry.

I found all sorts of gunk in the always hangared family Cherokee once. Turned out, the 20+ year old tank sealant was giving up.
A rental plane I got once...well...among other things that I found that I still wake up screaming hysterically out of a sound sleep at 2am about, I gave up before I ever got to anything resembling blue from the sumps.

Trust me, and this is coming from an ex-ramp rat: You really really don't want to know what's in the bottom of some of those underground tanks.

Good on you, Joe.

I've found water only once or twice in the sumps, on occasions where the plane sat out on the ramp in a rainstorm. I check 'em even though I have a hangar.

Good call on the vacuum pump too Joe. I flew Sunday morning from LOM to PTW and back and on the return leg, flying into the early morning sun I could barely make out the horizon in the haze. I was glad to have the AI to back up my outside references.

Joe Williams said:
Best part of the flight was Sean's response when I told him we were 15 minutes from home: "Well, that doesn't make me happy. I want to stay up longer." Ya'll may remember I had some concerns a while back about whether or not he'd get over the very real fears he had when we were flying.... they are all gone now. If being at 2500 feet on a nice hot summer day in a 152, with the constant bumps and wiggles that brings with it, doesn't bother him, he's all good :)

Now there's some good news! :D

The first time I skipped checking all four tank sumps because I was late for our lesson. Joe, my CFI saw me and asked if I checked. I told him I had checked the main tanks. I wasn't going to use the tips. I got in. He came out and asked and I explained my thinking. He checked the tip tanks. "COME HERE!!!!!" Dirty water.

Lesson learned.

Back when I was getting my high perf endorsement we scrubbed the 182 one day when the samples had what looked like leaves floating in them. Could not get a clean sample. Plane had just been worked over and went back in the shop to get that fixed. And it's hangared.

Joe, you did the right thing. I NEVER pull a plane out of the hangar without sumping first. I'll go somewhere afterwards and take off again without sumping if I didn't get fuel, but first flight of the day and any time after getting gas I check. Good call.

Glad Sean is enjoying this. Sounds like a great kid.

Back