Why would anyone go to ATP now ?

Pt. 91 and 135. He just got sick of dentistry, made enough money, and wanted a little retirement income and benefits. I can understand it, but I agree the opportunity cost is really high.

If by "pretty cool airplanes" you mean anything turbine, I don't think mists dentists make that kind of money, usually. You'd need to own a chain of dental offices or something.

If by "pretty cool airplanes" you mean anything turbine, I don't think mists dentists make that kind of money, usually. You'd need to own a chain of dental offices or something.

I didn't say that, but I agree, you won't be flying a CJ around on a dentist salary. He is getting paid to fly turbines though, so it was one of those I always wanted to fly jets kind of thing.

I didn't say that, but I agree, you won't be flying a CJ around on a dentist salary. He is getting paid to fly turbines though, so it was one of those I always wanted to fly jets kind of thing.

I know what you mean. One primary reason I want to make more money is to fly more/better planes. If flying planes was my job, then I maybe wouldn't need to spend so much on personal planes, thereby being satisfied with a lower salary..... ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On some level everyone entering the 121 career track as civilians are being exploited. Back when there really was a shortage of pilots at the major airlines they were hiring people with zero time and the airline was footing the bill for all training. Then it was about hiring a professional that could be trained to fly. Today the airlines want everyone to show up qualified to work the only training they provide is for the aircraft and operations at the airline. Everyone is PFT'ing in some way to make it in the industry today. It is a complete **** show in the 121 world in my opinion. I'm glad I ejected from that career when I did.

Ok, there's some limited cross country time required, and going to the same airport 51 miles away a few hundred times isn't much more valuable.

You don't have to fly to an airport 51 miles away, just a point 51 miles away and come back.

I know what you mean. One primary reason I want to make more money is to fly more/better planes. If flying planes was my job, then I maybe wouldn't need to spend so much on personal planes, thereby being satisfied with a lower salary..... ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As a professional pilot I can tell you that's not true for me. If they paid me 30K to do this I wouldn't do it. Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is ever present and ruling of my life. Now, if you mean to say that you'd take a 100K salary over a 130K salary in order to fly professionally that's one thing, but to forego a six figure income for a below-median-wage? Hell no. Whether you fly or not, the game is still chess, it ain't checkers...

Ok, there's some limited cross country time required, and going to the same airport 51 miles away a few hundred times isn't much more valuable.

Limited.... It's 500hrs, more time than most on this board have for total time.

I image since the ATP is such a joke, you hold one right?

I'm mean just for chits and giggles.

What if I want to play backgammon?

The rATP is a joke

No, anyone can get an rATP with 200 XC. I already had half that when I got my commercial at 260tt.

I image since the ATP is such a joke, you hold one right?

I'm mean just for chits and giggles.

500 out of 1500 hours is not a ton of XC.

I didn't say the ATP was a joke, just that for most people they'd naturally accumulate the XC time by the time they get 1500 hrs.

I have 863 hrs and 564 XC, and I haven't even been consciously trying to "build" XC time.

No, you didn't specify. What difference does it make?

I thought stating a ATP was clear, there is only one ATP.

A r-ATP isn't a ATP
A euro Frozen ATP or f-ATP isn't a ATP.

I thought stating a ATP was clear, there is only one ATP.

A r-ATP isn't a ATP
A euro Frozen ATP or f-ATP isn't a ATP.

The issue (posts 71, 79, 80, and 87) was what qualifications could get someone a job at a regional airline. That would be a restricted ATP with 200 hours of cross-country time. Not 500.

Gotta love all of the "chest thumping" going on.

What next? "Marking" your territory?

:rofl:

No, I realize that there are tons more experienced folks on here. My only point was that having 1/3 of your hours being XC is not so hard/unusual.

Last edited:
You don't have to fly to an airport 51 miles away, just a point 51 miles away and come back.

The diamond in the ruff post. I always assumed you had to land at an airport to qualify for cross country time.

This is why I still continue to read the threads that have turned into a urinating contest. :rofl:

This is why I still continue to read the threads that have turned into a urinating contest. :rofl:

This is maximum thread drift. From a flight school that trains in mostly multi engine aircraft to ATP certification requirements and PTF. Urination all over my keyboard.

The diamond in the ruff post. I always assumed you had to land at an airport to qualify for cross country time.

For the provate, instrument, and commercial, you actually have to land at the airport for it to count.

This is a funny thread :wink2:

Now, considering I am a flight dispatcher at Ameriflight, perhaps I can clear something up.

The PFT program is for foreign student pilots trying to get their turbine minimums. Companies like KAL, JAL, Asiana and so forth use it to train their pilots. They send them to Florida to complete their flight training, then send them here to gain 1000 hours of multi engine turbine time, then it is back overseas for them to compete their training in whatever plane they are going to be flying.

I have never heard of anyone walking in off the street and paying big $$$ to be SIC of a Be99, or a Metro, or anything. If I did meet one, I would gladly ask them "What the hell are you thinking?"

I'm not saying Ameriflight is the best, but I know a lot of guys that come here, stay 6 months or a year and then bounce off to the regionals or a King Air gig or a corporate charter outfit, etc. It all depends on what you are looking for. Then again, I know other guys that have been here a while and enjoy their Metro and 1900 runs between SFO and RNO or SLC, monday through friday.

Now, considering I am a flight dispatcher at Ameriflight, perhaps I can clear something up.

The PFT program is for foreign student pilots trying to get their turbine minimums. Companies like KAL, JAL, Asiana and so forth use it to train their pilots. They send them to Florida to complete their flight training, then send them here to gain 1000 hours of multi engine turbine time, then it is back overseas for them to compete their training in whatever plane they are going to be flying.

I have never heard of anyone walking in off the street and paying big $$$ to be SIC of a Be99, or a Metro, or anything. If I did meet one, I would gladly ask them "What the hell are you thinking?"

I'm not saying Ameriflight is the best, but I know a lot of guys that come here, stay 6 months or a year and then bounce off to the regionals or a King Air gig or a corporate charter outfit, etc. It all depends on what you are looking for. Then again, I know other guys that have been here a while and enjoy their Metro and 1900 runs between SFO and RNO or SLC, monday through friday.
And this is why I will submitting a resume with AMF in the next month or so.

I saw a couple in my time there, but not many. And they already had a few screws loose up top.

And this is why I will submitting a resume with AMF in the next month or so.

Just remember, the west coast airline is very, very different than the east coast/midwest/texas part of the airline. Most of the long term AMF pilots are in SEA/PDX/OAK/BUR/PHX. You get east of there (DFW/OMA/CVG/SDF/BUF/SUS) and things get real junior real quick.

Seeing as you are from PHX, I'd say try to get one of the spots there. It was the most fun flying I did at Ameriflight.

I live in PHX. What's a typical pilot schedule for Ameriflight? Fly out in the early morning and return in the evening?

I live in PHX. What's a typical pilot schedule for Ameriflight? Fly out in the early morning and return in the evening?

Yea. Our company contracts for them and I have spent many days sitting in hotel rooms at HII, FLG or P14. I have also flown TUS EED and OLS contracting for ameriflight

Depends on if you are in-station or out-station. The IGM, FLG, P14, SAD, FHU, NYL runs are all out-station runs where you live in the outstations, overnight in PHX 5 night weeks. In-station runs you sit in a hotel at the outstation during the day.

Which runs out of PHX are "in-station"?

How do they decide if a run is in-station or out-station?

Last edited:
I have this thread to thank........ for galvanizing my continued commitment to get my wife through nursing school!

Once I get the weef on the "step" and she's making an above median salary, it's idle-boards city for daddy-o here. When you only need to make half as much, the world is your oyster. To be fair and balanced, I found similar dynamics in aerospace engineering. Which surprised me, seeing how I wasn't willing to do that drudgery for more than a week before wanting to physically hurt myself.

The older I get the more undesirable the idea of depending on a job many qualify for and most are willing to do for free, becomes. I gotta get off this rickety pro pylet wagon before the wings clap off in flight. Too many junkies.

Which runs out of PHX are "in-station"?

How do they decide if a run is in-station or out-station?

If the city gets weekend service or not, is really what it comes down to. As a new hire, you aren't going to get an in-station run, in all likelihood.

This is maximum thread drift. From a flight school that trains in mostly multi engine aircraft to ATP certification requirements and PTF. Urination all over my keyboard.

You need to read more than what rotor posts.

First this topic is about ATP Inc, and why anyone would go to their career program now that not having hundreds of multi hours isn't a deal breaker for regionals anymore, regionals now are hurting with the new ATP rule, thus the discussion on ATP (the license not the school).

Now when ever you're talking ATP Inc and Ameriflight gets brought up, PTF is shortly to follow.

First this topic is about ATP Inc, and why anyone would go to their career program now that not having hundreds of multi hours isn't a deal breaker for regionals anymore, regionals now are hurting with the new ATP rule, thus the discussion on ATP (the license not the school).

Now when ever you're talking ATP Inc and Ameriflight gets brought up, PTF is shortly to follow.

I see the progression now.

PFT got brought up because a one issue troll brings it up over and over and over again, ignoring people who have knowledge of the situation.

I have this thread to thank........ for galvanizing my continued commitment to get my wife through nursing school!

I think that was my plan 20 years ago. Ha. Didn't work out. Worked out way better in many ways though...

Back