Why We Brief

Rich Holt

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
holtyrd
TL;DR: This lesson learned had a happy ending and a few things to take away from the experience. 1. Brief the flight. Fly the brief 2. I've added a section to my take-off brief that deals with a partial loss of power and remaining runway ahead.

I somehow managed to get a PPL without ever doing a take-off brief. That seems odd to say, knowing what I know now. I had always had a "plan." When a CFI or DPE asked, I had a decent response. At least passable. It wasn't until many years later when I was learning to fly a T-6A that I was taught the proper way to give a take-off brief. It wasn't until nearly 1000 flight hours later that I really knew why we do all these briefs.

I was on an IR training flight with a (very young) CFI in the seat next to me. I taxied the Cherokee to the run-up and conducted a thorough run-up and instrumentation check. We were ready to go on what was to be my shortest flight to date. Before I switched to Tower to request take-off clearance, I gave the standard take-off brief that I have given hundreds of times before. I briefed Vr and what would happen if the aircraft was not performing as expected up to that point. I briefed that awkward in-between time where we would not likely make it as there were no "soft areas" to put it down. I briefed at what altitude I thought, from experience, that I could safely return to the field. And then I briefed what the initial clearance was until we contacted Departure. All standard stuff. Tower gave us clearance to take-off and we had 9300 feet to get the bird off the ground.

As we passed 300' AGL the exhaust header separated from the engine and the power rolled back to nearly mo thrust at all. There I was 300' off the ground and no engine. The lag between reality and the dreamlike state you often find yourself in when something unexpected happens did not last very long for me, longer for the CFI in the right seat. I noticed the sound change and the speed rolling back through best glide rapidly. I instinctively pushed the nose down hard to recover some necessary lift to keep us not dead. As I was reaching for the manual flaps the CFI sprung to action taking the controls to put the aircraft down on the remaining runway in front of our bird. Somewhere between 300' AGL and touchdown, the tower noticed that we were no longer climbing and asked what we doing, obviously while we were in the flare, because why not then.

So, as a result of this incident you learned why briefs are important, and why your mother always asked if you had clean underwear on....

So, as a result of this incident you learned why briefs are important, and why your mother always asked if you had clean underwear on

So, briefly, briefs are good and so are clean briefs?

I'm in no way saying don't do a briefing, but my briefing hasn't really changed in the hundreds and hundreds of times I've taken off. it changes for me on truly short runways and maybe one or two other scenarios. otherwise, don't be surprised if you get in the plane with me and don't hear the s a m e e x a c t f r i g g i n b r i e f i n g I've said over and over and over so it's drilled into my head. I have a different briefing I usually give when other pilots are in the plane, short and sweet. anyways, you do your briefing if it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling.

TL;DR: This lesson learned had a happy ending and a few things to take away from the experience. 1. Brief the flight. Fly the brief 2. I've added a section to my take-off brief that deals with a partial loss of power and remaining runway ahead.

I somehow managed to get a PPL without ever doing a take-off brief. That seems odd to say, knowing what I know now. I had always had a "plan." When a CFI or DPE asked, I had a decent response. At least passable. It wasn't until many years later when I was learning to fly a T-6A that I was taught the proper way to give a take-off brief. It wasn't until nearly 1000 flight hours later that I really knew why we do all these briefs.

I was on an IR training flight with a (very young) CFI in the seat next to me. I taxied the Cherokee to the run-up and conducted a thorough run-up and instrumentation check. We were ready to go on what was to be my shortest flight to date. Before I switched to Tower to request take-off clearance, I gave the standard take-off brief that I have given hundreds of times before. I briefed Vr and what would happen if the aircraft was not performing as expected up to that point. I briefed that awkward in-between time where we would not likely make it as there were no "soft areas" to put it down. I briefed at what altitude I thought, from experience, that I could safely return to the field. And then I briefed what the initial clearance was until we contacted Departure. All standard stuff. Tower gave us clearance to take-off and we had 9300 feet to get the bird off the ground.

As we passed 300' AGL the exhaust header separated from the engine and the power rolled back to nearly mo thrust at all. There I was 300' off the ground and no engine. The lag between reality and the dreamlike state you often find yourself in when something unexpected happens did not last very long for me, longer for the CFI in the right seat. I noticed the sound change and the speed rolling back through best glide rapidly. I instinctively pushed the nose down hard to recover some necessary lift to keep us not dead. As I was reaching for the manual flaps the CFI sprung to action taking the controls to put the aircraft down on the remaining runway in front of our bird. Somewhere between 300' AGL and touchdown, the tower noticed that we were no longer climbing and asked what we doing, obviously while we were in the flare, because why not then.
I'm glad everything turned out well, which is the important thing. Bit I'm curious how you think it would have gone differently if you hadn't briefed? Did the briefing include the CFI taking over?

I'm glad everything turned out well, which is the important thing. Bit I'm curious how you think it would have gone differently if you hadn't briefed?
Same question…in fact, I would argue that remaining runway should have the same status as anything else. If it’s suitable to land on it, land on it. “Ahead of the wings, into the wind” is much more survivable than other options at that point, and I’ve seen a couple of cases where an airplane was totaled (fortunately no injuries that I’m aware of) when accepting what was off the end of the runway would probably have resulted in no damage at all.

One thing I like to include in a takeoff brief are the threats to the departure. Certainly losing an engine and other in-flight emergencies are always included, but there is always something be it related to traffic, weather, terrain, obstacles, unfamiliar area, unfamiliar departure procedures, etc.

As we passed 300' AGL the exhaust header separated from the engine and the power rolled back to nearly mo thrust at all.
I'm confused by this. An engine doesn't need a header to produce thrust. I would think it would suddenly be louder.

Did the briefing include the CFI taking over?
Yes. It is school policy for the CFI to take the controls in the event of an emergency.

An engine doesn't need a header to produce thrust.
A sudden loss of downstream pressure will cause a partial loss of power. I was still getting about 800-900 RPM. In fact, I still had enough thrust to taxi back to the ramp, albeit at "full" power.

One thing I like to include in a takeoff brief are the threats to the departure. Certainly losing an engine and other in-flight emergencies are always included, but there is always something be it related to traffic, weather, terrain, obstacles, unfamiliar area, unfamiliar departure procedures, etc.

Bird activity is a hot one for me.

Yes. It is school policy for the CFI to take the controls in the event of an emergency.

A sudden loss of downstream pressure will cause a partial loss of power. I was still getting about 800-900 RPM. In fact, I still had enough thrust to taxi back to the ramp, albeit at "full" power.
Hmmm, that's a new one on me. I've experienced an in flight circumferential crack right at the exhaust flange tear the exhaust pipe clean off. It sounded like a shotgun blast, followed by the sound of a motor with no exhaust; I never detected any loss of power.

Hmmm, that's a new one on me. I've experienced an in flight circumferential crack right at the exhaust flange tear the exhaust pipe clean off. It sounded like a shotgun blast, followed by the sound of a motor with no exhaust; I never detected any loss of power.

Yeah, OP's comment doesn't make mechanical sense at all (no offense OP). Losing the exhaust header means the pressure differential across the engine is increased (no exhaust back pressure) so the engine can actually develop more power, not less. This is why racing vehicles tend to "straight pipe" or otherwise have minimal exhaust systems.

More likely is that the intake header cracked or mostly broke off, or that the engine was making large metal chunks and in that process blew the exhaust header off.

Engine dies on takeoff while solo: "Your airplane!"
I once flew with a student getting ready for a checkride coming from another flight school.
He briefed me: "If anything happens, I'll give the controls to you."
Me: "Like what?"
Him: "Like if we're practicing a stall and get into a spin."
Me: Ummm no...

eah, OP's comment doesn't make mechanical sense at all (no offense OP). Losing the exhaust header means the pressure differential across the engine is increased (no exhaust back pressure) so the engine can actually develop more power, not less.
I only report the news, I do not write it too. Feel free to take up your concerns about the validity of the primary cause of the loss of power with the FAA Southern Region office that did the investigation. I'm sure they would love to hear from you.

I only report the news, I do not write it too. Feel free to take up your concerns about the validity of the primary cause of the loss of power with the FAA Southern Region office that did the investigation. I'm sure they would love to hear from you.
I’ve seen enough investigations that contradicted reality that I also believe it’s not worth “taking it up”.

But I would call it “opinion”, not “news”.

I would not be surprised if you had a minor power loss and some loud noise that was a good reason for aborting the climb and landing on the remaining runway.

However I can't see how an exhaust failure would limit you to 800-900 rpm at full power. I've seen IO-360's blow a cylinder completely apart and able to run strong enough to maintain altitude for a few minutes.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back