Why three entrances to runway?

DeeG

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
DeeG
Flew out of Taipei (TPE) the other day, headed for BKK.

As we approached the departure end of runway 5, I noticed that there were three 'entrances' to the runway. All lined up next to each other, each slightly different. I'm taking a WAG that one is VFR conditions, one for really ugly and another for 'I'm too lazy to taxi an additional 75 yards". whats the point????

20151229_085052_zpshmnskpic.jpg

Quicker dispatch during a push?

DFW and ATL I know for sure have 3 lines (entrances) to certain runways for sequencing and /or spacing.

So you can have multiple departures holding short and ready to go. Especially with IFR departures ATC may not want to send people off in the order they pull up in a single queue. Have previously had to taxi onto the runway and back around again to let someone behind me depart first. This taxi setup avoids that silliness.

B-757 at the end is waiting for numbers and can't go but A-320 behind is ready to split.

Why three? B-757 at end just got a 30 minute EDCT and the A-320 behind has to rerun numbers for the intersection but the Champ behind him is ready to go.

Multiple on ramps adds options.

One is the HOV lane for plane with more than 250 passengers aboard.

As we approached the departure end of runway 5, I noticed that there were three 'entrances' to the runway. All lined up next to each other, each slightly different. I'm taking a WAG that one is VFR conditions, one for really ugly and another for 'I'm too lazy to taxi an additional 75 yards". whats the point???

It's called a "bypass taxiway", and it's used to prevent bottlenecks for ATC.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/150-5300-13A-chg1-interactive.pdf#page162

As we approached the departure end of runway 5, I noticed that there were three 'entrances' to the runway.
Was this at Monty Hall International? :)

Ron "You can keep it all, or trade for onramp #3..." Wanttaja

Thanks guys. Its been a while since I've flown out of a busy airport and paid attention to things. No bottle neck makes a lot of sense. Wish they had something like that for the terminals at TPE. Delayed an hour for 'ramp congestion'.

Main focus now is to not become road kill. Renting motorcycles for three weeks in Chiang Mai. This riding on the wrong side of the road and total disregard for any sort of traffic law is gonna take some time to get used to. And its going to ruin me when I get home. lol

Well bless your heart. Enjoy TPE .....I hope to never have to go there again.

Back