Why they are called Victor Airways

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
More perspective from a long time pilot.

Dave
===================================================

Good Evening Pete,

This is just from my recollection, so if somebody else has better information I would be happy to hear it.

The term Victor Airway was first applied to the airways designated by VARs.
The V standing for VHF radio.

VAR stood for Visual Aural Range. The four courses were generally designated by the blue and yellow hemispherical sectors and the A and N sectors. You would look at a CDI to determine if you were in a yellow or blue area and listen to the aural signal to determine if you were in an A or N signal. The CDI indication used a tone indication the same as does the ILS localizer system.

In fact, the tone frequency used was the same as the tones used for a localizer which is why we have yellow and blue segments on localizer indicators.

During the same time as the VARs were being used to replace the Low Frequency Range stations, some brainy guy figured out how to make a signal that was transmitted such that the phase difference between two signals varied depending on the receivers location and direction from the transmitter.

I do not recall the precise angle from North at which the signals were, or are, in phase, but it is somewhere around two hundred and forty degrees from North. Anywhere else around the station, the out of phase relationship can be measured by beating a known correction signal against the transmitted signal
to determine how far one is form the point where the signals are in phase.
We read such information as a radial to or from the transmitter.

That piece of equipment used the same radio frequency spectrum as did the VARs and most VARs were converted to VORs or VHF Omnidirectional Radio stations.

The first VARs were established in mountainous regions as those were the places where the Low Frequency ranges encountered the greatest difficulties.

Most were in service for no more than ten years.

My recollection is that Victor Airways and the Low Frequency colored airways existed side by side for several years during the changeover.

As an aside, there was an argument for couple of years as to whether or not all localizers should be switched over to use phase differentiation rather than tone. If they had done that, it would have made it cheaper to build ILS receivers in conjunction with VOR receivers.

Unfortunately, it was decided that there was too great a cost involved in the changeover, so the tone signal system was retained.
=================================================
And a follow up thread.

Dave

Interesting, Bob. One learns something new every day. Here's more info, including a couple of approach plates:

http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/VAR%20&%20Markers%20Ops%20Notes%201953.htm

Last edited:
Nope, it was named after the guy that thought em up...Victor. :rolleyes:

I don't know his last name. :dunno:

wow - thats some interesting information. Really cool.

It's probably more than most people will ever want to know, but it's interesting to know how things came about!

Best,

Dave

Thanks Dave. Very interesting.

Dave Siciliano said:
It's probably more than most people will ever want to know, but it's interesting to know how things came about!

Best,

Dave

Funny you should say that. I read pretty much everything on the whole site and still want more:D.

lancefisher said:
Funny you should say that. I read pretty much everything on the whole site and still want more:D.

Lance; I feel the same;

Dave thanks for the info. I remember in the very late 1950's early 60's when I got the flying bug remember the few Amber and Blue airways on the charts. They were over laid with the Victor Airways. We use to call the VHF nav radios "omini receivers". In my old Instrument training book there is a whole chapter describing how the Omini transmitters and receivers worked. The book was published by Pan Am. In one secton they write about the GCA approaches. I remember many civilian airports had GCA when I got started. They were fun to fly.

john

You two are hopeless!! :D
Just like me :goofy:

Here I am readin stuff like this while my friends are watchin the Cowboys lose!

I need to move closer to you guys!

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
You two are hopeless!! :D
Just like me :goofy:

Here I am readin stuff like this while my friends are watchin the Cowboys lose!

Dave

Two questions. Will the Cowboys make you any money? Will they help your flying? Enough said.

Dave Siciliano said:

Maybe the other way around. I just got back from watching a parade, The OAT is -3F.

lancefisher said:
Maybe the other way around. I just got back from watching a parade, The OAT is -3F.

Sundays: Flying & football.

Studyied CFI stuff for written renewal tests coming up WHILE watching the SeaHawks squeak by... mostly all done horizontally.

Is this a great country or what ?

Dave Krall CFII said:
Sundays: Flying & football.

Studyied CFI stuff for written renewal tests coming up WHILE watching the SeaHawks squeak by... mostly all done horizontally.

Is this a great country or what ?

How could I possibly disagree with that statement :D
I've been blessed with a healthy family, good job, health is fine and finally got the plane I've always wanted. Isn't this board great!!

God bless.....oops...can I refer to the lord on here??

Oh say can you see......ops that's got the same word.

How the heck do we give thanks now in a politically correct manner (not trying to open a new thread here!! ;))

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
How could I possibly disagree with that statement :D
I've been blessed with a healthy family, good job, health is fine and finally got the plane I've always wanted. Isn't this board great!!

God bless.....oops...can I refer to the lord on here??

Oh say can you see......ops that's got the same word.

How the heck do we give thanks now in a politically correct manner (not trying to open a new thread here!! ;))

Dave

The PCs say we can refer to the "Holiday Infant" and, ...no, I'm not going any farther with that...

Dave Siciliano said:

Dave

I don't even try. I just give thanks. I don't believe in PC. :D

Back