Why stuff is expensive

Thread Creep Alert!!! ;)

I fondly remember telling the service station attendant I would like "a dollar's worth of gas", and receive about three gallons.

Sigh.

Yep; in 1959 I could refuel my first Harley(125cc) for less than a dollar, at 33 cents per gallon. And my Dad would buy a carton of Chesterfield cigarettes for $3.35(note I referenced a carton).

HR

OK, then I also remember when my dad thought we were on easy street because he got promoted and his salary worked out to $10 an hour. Which paid for a family of 7, nice house in the suburbs, two newish cars, vacations every year...

My first job: delivering daily newspapers for about $8 a week.

Gawd, when did I get old?

My dad figured he would have it made when he made $10,000 a year. Of course, that was about the time he graduated from college with his DVM in 1953. My wife and I figured $20,000 to $24,000 a year and we'd be set. That was in 1975. Times do change.

My dad figured he would have it made when he made $10,000 a year. Of course, that was about the time he graduated from college with his DVM in 1953. My wife and I figured $20,000 to $24,000 a year and we'd be set. That was in 1975. Times do change.

This should sober anyone --

My father, 23 years old, one year of out the Culinary Institute of America, where he graduated 6th in his class - made $18,000 a year in 1975.

My first year out of college (18), I made $65,000.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I can only imagine how this is affecting our minimum wage earners, single parents, and low-income families.

Last statistic I heard on Bloomberg was with fuel at current prices, all fuel expense runs around 18% of disposable income for the average wage earner.
That's gotta hurt.

If I switch jobs again, you better believe the ability to "work from home via VPN on a REGULAR basis" will be high on the list of "benefits" I'll be looking for... Currently just the fuel runs me about $2K/year to drive to work. It's a measurable percentage of my annual income; I can only imagine how this is affecting our minimum wage earners, single parents, and low-income families.

EDIT: I've even told my boss I'd forgo an annual raise to be able to work remotely--I'd make more saving on the fuel than their typical raise. We have the technology, and they do allow it when needed (appt at home with service contractor, etc.). It's so seamless, nobody even knows I'm out of the office unless I tell them! They dial my desk, it rings at my home phone.

Yeah, this is definitely one of the things I've got to calculate when I look for a new job. Currently my fuel costs as a part of my job are pretty nil, but if I move to a job in Charlotte, that's almost guaranteed to change.

Remember, not all that long ago, when "making your age" was the dream?

Along the way I decided I was either too young or too poorly paid. :D

It also means our CEOs are much, much, much older than Moses.

I think living in an underground house would be very depressing. If solar panel and battery technology could be made more efficient that would help.

I think living in an underground house would be very depressing. If solar panel and battery technology could be made more efficient that would help.

I agree - underground would be hard.

Solar is getting much more efficient - together with low energy lighting and appliances, it is feasible in some locations. The rub with solar comes in the summer time - shade trees make homes much cooler, but they also block the sunlight necessary for solar to work effectively. This isn't a problem in some areas (like the south and southwest) where there aren't a lot of trees, but is is an issue in the mid-Atlantic. I need to cut back some trees over the house, but I'm concerned that it'll cut the shade and raise the cooling costs.

Mine is a "hillside home" half underground. My energy bills are amazingly low. A lot of areas of the lower level are dark. Good for the planned home theater room but no so much for other rooms.

I thought about putting in a light tunnel skylight but I'm not anxious to cut into my tile roof.

I was interested these basement window wells that supposedly bring in light but they referred me to a dealer who told me I need to talk to a window shop. :dunno: "Brilliant."

Back