Why spend $50 when you can...

OK OK what upgrades to your panel did you get now. It was already really shiny and nice.

Nah, he either turned in his pilot certificate for one that include "MULTI ENGINE LAND" on it, or he failed and got told he sucks at flying a single with the engine offset to one side.

*checks forum*

Yup. Says pilot training, not maintenance bay.

A flat rate for a sea plane add on here is $3,000. I say then that you got a bargain.

Traverse city Michigan seaplane rating is $800 plus DPE fee
They do cheap MEL add-on's too. I'm considering heading up there to do my CMEL add-on...Heck, at those prices I might as well get my SES too.

A flat rate for a sea plane add on here is $3,000. I say then that you got a bargain.

Anyone who pays that much for an SES add on is an idiot.

Yup. Did that 4 years ago. More fun than should be allowed by the FAA - especially in Michigan where we have 10,000+ lakes and it's legal to land on all but 2 of them. Although, many of those you wouldn't want to for a number of reasons.

They do cheap MEL add-on's too. I'm considering heading up there to do my CMEL add-on...Heck, at those prices I might as well get my SES too.

$1595 + $350 examiners fee + $5 overnight parking in a single at TVC.
$1595 + $350 + $5 = $1950. Hmmmmmm wonder why that number was mentioned in the original post?

I thought it was high, I told them I couldn't afford $3,000 - so I asked how much a CFI was per hour and how much the sea plane was per hour. They have two, one little 172 on floats and a bigger Beaver (?) - the CFI plus 172 sea plane, per hour, is $300. That is INSANE. I asked if I could rent the plane, after getting my rating, they said no - not yet - they were under new ownership and trying to form a flying club. They have a helo too and I think most of their stuff is tourist / sight seeing related. Not so much pilots / students.

If that is a flat rate and it doesn't take too long I might go to Michigan to do this one day. Never thought I would be interested in stuff like this but it sounds fun. My next "training" is planned for June 2013 for a BFR / Mountain Checkout from the Colorado Pilots Association. I think it is less than $500 and a neat way for me to get my BFR.

Ed, I forget if you had your CP-AMEL already... Did you get the multi on your pilot certificate or your CFI?

Either way, congrats!

Anyone who pays that much for an SES add on is an idiot.

Yup. Did that 4 years ago. More fun than should be allowed by the FAA - especially in Michigan where we have 10,000+ lakes and it's legal to land on all but 2 of them. Although, many of those you wouldn't want to for a number of reasons.

$1595 + $350 examiners fee + $5 overnight parking in a single at TVC.
$1595 + $350 + $5 = $1950. Hmmmmmm wonder why that number was mentioned in the original post?

Do you get a new pilot cert now? Or is it just a signature in the logbook?

I thought it was high, I told them I couldn't afford $3,000 - so I asked how much a CFI was per hour and how much the sea plane was per hour. They have two, one little 172 on floats and a bigger Beaver (?) - the CFI plus 172 sea plane, per hour, is $300. That is INSANE. I asked if I could rent the plane, after getting my rating, they said no - not yet - they were under new ownership and trying to form a flying club. They have a helo too and I think most of their stuff is tourist / sight seeing related. Not so much pilots / students.

Most places that do seaplane training won't rent you one solo.

Most rental seaplanes have pretty insane hourly rates.

The reason for both? Insurance.

The reason for your $300/hr 172? Insurance + California.

You can rent a 152, fly down to Sheble's do your SES and fly back and still have Blackjack money at the Avi for $3k.

You can rent a 152, fly down to Sheble's do your SES and fly back and still have Blackjack money at the Avi for $3k.

OMG thank you, they have a tailwheel flat rate. Sounds like I fly to Vegas, rent a car, drive two hours, and get it done in 2 days. But for $1,600 let me do the math (based on my local place):

Email from them:

"A typical tailwheel endorsement for a current pilot takes 8-10 hours of flight time, with 10-12 hours of ground."

$50 CFI

$119 Citabria

50 x 12 = 600

119 x 10 = 1,190

Total = 1790

I can do the above at my own pace, though they recommend trying to get it done in 2-3 weekends in a row. Sounds like I have a "good deal" here at home. The one you suggested uses a Super Cub, and since I'd want to rent one here (the Citabria) that would cost more since he'd have to sign me off for solo.

10-12 hours of ground for a tw endorsement! What they heck do you cover in 10 hours ?

OMG thank you, they have a tailwheel flat rate. Sounds like I fly to Vegas, rent a car, drive two hours, and get it done in 2 days. But for $1,600 let me do the math (based on my local place):

Email from them:

"A typical tailwheel endorsement for a current pilot takes 8-10 hours of flight time, with 10-12 hours of ground."

$50 CFI

$119 Citabria

50 x 12 = 600

119 x 10 = 1,190

Total = 1790

I can do the above at my own pace, though they recommend trying to get it done in 2-3 weekends in a row. Sounds like I have a "good deal" here at home. The one you suggested uses a Super Cub, and since I'd want to rent one here (the Citabria) that would cost more since he'd have to sign me off for solo.

2 totally different scenarios since you'll be able to rent the Citabria locally, it will be best to go there.

They have some good deals there. I'd like to find a good 172RG for rent around here. My biggest obstacle to the commercial license is knocking out the 10 hours in a retractable.

2 totally different scenarios since you'll be able to rent the Citabria locally, it will be best to go there.

Right, and, not only that, they have acro (not solo, with CFI only, and they have parachutes). They also have spin / stall / unusual attitude recovery and they let you rent the Citabria with pax. Problem is the airport prohibits night ops (not sure if the Citabria has lights anyway) so no flying to dinner and coming back late. Also not sure if I can rent it overnight or how current I have to be to solo.

Right, and, not only that, they have acro (not solo, with CFI only, and they have parachutes). They also have spin / stall / unusual attitude recovery and they let you rent the Citabria with pax. Problem is the airport prohibits night ops (not sure if the Citabria has lights anyway) so no flying to dinner and coming back late. Also not sure if I can rent it overnight or how current I have to be to solo.

If you ever find yourself on a vacation to South Florida I do tailwheel endorsements in a Citabria 7ECA. I do not believe in charging for a lot of ground. I have chutes as well. :wink2:

http://www.shine-aviation.com/

If you ever find yourself on a vacation to South Florida I do tailwheel endorsements in a Citabria 7ECA. I do not believe in charging for a lot of ground. I have chutes as well. :wink2:

http://www.shine-aviation.com/

Interesting. Did my tw endorsement in the Luscombe but am interested in some acro training. Do you do that? Bluntly, are you any good?

Most places that do seaplane training won't rent you one solo.

Most rental seaplanes have pretty insane hourly rates.

The reason for both? Insurance.

The reason for your $300/hr 172? Insurance + California.

My research only turned up two reasonable options in the CONUS for renting a seaplane solo. Maine and Florida/Minnesota. The Maine deal is a good one:

http://www.twitchells3b5.com/flightinstruction/aircraftforrent.html

http://www.adventureseaplanes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49&Itemid=57

Email from them:

$50 CFI

$119 Citabria

50 x 12 = 600

119 x 10 = 1,190

Total = 1790

Kim, the way you put it looks more like 10 hours on the airplane and 12 on the CFI which is only two hours ground, Two hours ground is all you need, IMO, other than brief/debrief.

My tw in the Luscombe, in crosswinds, and on asphalt ("harder" than grass - yuk yuk) took 16.5 hours. A large part was I was finally relearning how to fly and a smaller part was I pushed too hard; diminishing returns after about 1.5 hours and I was doing 3+ hour sessions.

Last edited:

Email from them:

$50 CFI

$119 Citabria

50 x 12 = 600

119 x 10 = 1,190

Total = 1790

The advantage to a Shebles style course is that you don't pay more thn the listed price (atleast for the TW since there is no DPE fee involved) and you get done quickly.

Interesting. Did my tw endorsement in the Luscombe but am interested in some acro training. Do you do that? Bluntly, are you any good?

Sent ya a PM

Back to the OP though:

Was the multi for fun?

Do you plan to rent / own a multi?

How will you stay current?

Ed, I forget if you had your CP-AMEL already... Did you get the multi on your pilot certificate or your CFI?

Either way, congrats!

No, My plan was to never get a flight review, and for 8 years I was able to do that. But in 2010 I didn't have the time to get a new rating. I'm back on my no more flight review routine. 2014 is going to be a toss up between glider and MES.

Back to the OP though:

Was the multi for fun?

Do you plan to rent / own a multi?

How will you stay current?

It was just something to do.
No.
I won't.

No, My plan was to never get a flight review, and for 8 years I was able to do that. But in 2010 I didn't have the time to get a new rating. I'm back on my no more flight review routine. 2014 is going to be a toss up between glider and MES.

Guess I am on the right path, then. I got my BFR a few months ago with my tw endorsement. :D

Guess I am on the right path, then. I got my BFR a few months ago with my tw endorsement. :D

An endorsement isn't a rating, and just getting an endorsement does not reset the 24 calendar month clock for pilot currency. I've only had 1 flight review in 10 years.

An endorsement isn't a rating, and just getting an endorsement does not reset the 24 calendar month clock for pilot currency. I've only had 1 flight review in 10 years.
That's true, but getting together with a CFI to work on an endorsement can be an opportunity to do an honest BFR at the same time, and lots of people do that. I did my complex and HP endorsements separately, and both times worked a BFR into the deal.

No, it resets it if the CFI combines the BFR with the endorsement. Sorry, I thought that was what you meant, incorporating a BFR with some other activity, i.e. avoiding a straight BFR. For myself, I hope I am not getting just one new rating, or endorsement for that matter, every two years. :D

No, it resets it if the CFI combines the BFR with the endorsement. Sorry, I thought that was what you meant, incorporating a BFR with some other activity, i.e. avoiding a straight BFR. For myself, I hope I am not getting just one new rating, or endorsement for that matter, every two years. :D

I did intend to mean doing ratings in lieu of reviews - which is what I've done so far, except for 2010.

Back