Why Non-GPS Avionics are Still Necessary

Do these tests impact the GLONASS system as well? A number of popular phones are GLONASS capable, which could make for a nice backup if not impacted. You can find a list of phones here, but not sure how up to date it is: https://beebom.com/what-is-glonass-and-how-it-is-different-from-gps/
iPhones since the 5 series have both. Easy to do in a smart phone. It's not aviation certified. I doubt the U.S. military will tell us whether they are test jamming GLONASS.

Very common in NM, impacting AZ, east TX and CO. So what else is new?

Yeah. Folks don’t seem to realize how common this is because we get alerts based on home address from FAA.

Honestly I’m not even sure how you’d look up these alerts for a longer XC. They’re usually send in an email that is deep linked into some FAA website. Never seen a “combined” map or list of them.

But yep. The Alamogordo one just like that California one is active nearly constantly.

It’s for a large indoor testing facility where the building is essentially a giant Faraday cage and they can simulate the entire GPS constellation inside it to test various receivers under normal and abnormal conditions.

I suspect the warning goes up in case some idiot leaves a door open on the place while the transmitters are on.

Other ones are jamming testing. Each DoD contractor making jammers has their own pet places they like to test at.

There are global regional issues with GPS. Some countries may be jamming the signal to prevent someone from making cheap commercial GPS guided systems for intelligence gathering and maybe attack. At work, company airplanes have a hard time with GPS in certain parts of Asia.

Last edited:
Back