why is the internet so slow?

My brother sent me this gem the other day... Courtesy of his local municipality. I'm sure hes paying a fraction what I do for 60mbs.

View attachment 45797

What is truly impressive about that one is the ping speed.

He must be within a few miles of the test server - you're starting to run into speed of light limitations at this point.

What is truly impressive about that one is the ping speed.

He must be within a few miles of the test server - you're starting to run into speed of light limitations at this point.

That, or he setup a test server on his local gigabit LAN and did the test to that.

That, or he setup a test server on his local gigabit LAN and did the test to that.

Test was done against a real speedtest server.. Hes just outside of Denver, which has 5 listed hosts, so hes probably not more than 20 miles from one.

Unless you're trying to restart it after having just been online. Then you might have to sit there for an hour or so until it cools down, or you'll just drain the battery. :(

I haven't had to do this, but the new lithium battery in my motorcycle works just the opposite. On a cold morning if there isn't enough "juice" in the battery, one is supposed to turn on the headlights for a couple of minutes. This warms the battery and they put out more "juice" for the start.

I want one in my Cherokee. 1/3 the size, 1/4 the weight and MUCH more starting power. Shame, bailing on The Couve!!

You can probably thank Microsoft and Windows-10 for that.
When it sees that a computer IN THE WORLD, has accepted an update or a new app, that the update instructs Microsoft to push that same update/app to all computers that are connected to the internet and bloats the entire system.
Either that, or it's a consequence of Global Warming and Algore's dream come true

My brother sent me this gem the other day... Courtesy of his local municipality. I'm sure hes paying a fraction what I do for 60mbs.

View attachment 45797

It's doubtful that the municipality also sells overpriced content services, which in turn removes any disincentive from providing the highest possible speeds.

I'm not arguing for municipal Internet. I do, however, believe that the reason the U.S. trails the rest of the industrialized world in Internet speed is because the American Internet (as in its infrastructure) is dominated by companies that also sell television content, which said product is made even less attractive than it already is by faster Internet that allows people to use streaming services instead. Until the connectivity and content services are severed, I don't think we're going to see any real improvements in speed.

I also suspect that this nexus is why my Internet bill would increase if I canceled the cable television service. My provider is not a content producer, but they're a content carrier, and they do insert their own local ads (the same three ads -- ad nauseum, one might say) in the programming. I suspect that they came up with some number to represent their average ad revenue per subscriber from the television service, and simply increase a subscriber's bill by that amount if the subscriber doesn't want the cable TV.

Rich

I get 8Mbps at my parents. During my college apartment days we got lucky if we saw above 1.5Mbps.

You guy must have it nice!!

And I'm sure your 60MB service is cheaper than my 15 MB service . . . Life in the country!

I get 8Mbps at my parents. During my college apartment days we got lucky if we saw above 1.5Mbps.

You guy must have it nice!!

I chuckle at these nice speeds. I recently got an upgrade to 10M/2M and it's very nice in the boonies! Haha. Had to have a new dish with a new Motorola Canopy endpoint unit mounted in the center of the house roof pointed at a different neighbor.

ATDT9,,,15551212
beep bop bop beep beep bop bzzzzzz
connected ... 300 baud

slow? :)

I chuckle at these nice speeds. I recently got an upgrade to 10M/2M and it's very nice in the boonies!
Same here. Glad to have 12/1 Mbps here in the middle of the desert. My friends from the East Coast (and West Coast) laugh at me because I pay more than they do for 80/80).
But then again, I don't need more than 12 Mbps. I laugh at all our local hipsters who pay for Google's gigabit fiber .... without getting the benefit because they are still limited by the content servers that run maybe at 300kbps or so. :D

My connection is still faster than the 28kbaud modem I had in college, no complaints here. :)

Speed != Bandwidth
(latency) / (throughput)

You can have good latency, but not enough bandwidth for your needs.
You can also have **** latency, but way more bandwidth than you need.
Either experience will suck.

Web developers keep making websites heavier. The problem now is that loading a single page on many sites will require you download megabytes of javascript, markup, and images. They basically would be unusable on dialup.

As internet performance improves, developers get lazier and everything gets thicker.

This is an issue that is constantly a problem for me.

See, I'm an IT type person... even though I don't work in the industry anymore I still do lots of stuff with technology. However, I'm also a country person... I don't live in town. I've always lived out in the middle of nowhere and it's hard to get good internet service. Currently I'm on 2mb wireless service which was the fastest I could get. Lots of promises of something faster coming "soon". There's always something coming "soon" that never seems to materialize.

Still it's better than what I had at my last place. Verizon has an LTE based internet service which in my mind was absolutely designed to fleece customers with no other options. You have LTE speed and a 30GB monthly data cap on a service designed to be your home internet provider. $10/gb overage fees, a data cap insufficient for most people, and a speed so fast you can easily blow though it in a couple hours... hmm....

I've also had satellite internet service... which also has terrible data caps but even worse you've got latency in the 1-3s range. S... as in full seconds not ms. Some stuff just plain times out and won't work on it. I used to have to VPN into work with 1-3s delays for every mouse movement. Oh the joy.....

So, you see I'm quite happy to have a low(ish) latency 2MB connection with no data caps now... this really is an improvement. I can do Netflix and amazon video now... SD resolution but hey it works. So does youtube.... some video sites have terrible buffering and/or force HD resolution so they're either painful to use(lookin at you AOPA) or practically unusable(lookin at you Facebook). I also just want to curse people who build websites loaded with javascript and a bunch of graphical elements where a flat page would have sufficed. I used to build websites back when everyone had 28k modems... we did this thing called optimizing the page so it loaded faster. Trim the fat, trust me your visitors just want the information you're providing not to be impressed by how much fancy crap you can do on your page.

Oh and since this is an aviation site....

I actually carry my iPad with me when I'm going to be at a friend's house for a couple hours so I can update foreflight over their cable or DSL connection.... rather than having to leave my ipad open to foreflight all night plus half a day. Come on guys, there HAS to be a way to shrink those maps

Oh and since this is an aviation site....

I actually carry my iPad with me when I'm going to be at a friend's house for a couple hours so I can update foreflight over their cable or DSL connection.... rather than having to leave my ipad open to foreflight all night plus half a day. Come on guys, there HAS to be a way to shrink those maps
Agree. Its usually 30 min before i leave for the airport i realize my ipad version is expired and needs updating. Cant they just update whats changed?

Currently I'm on 2mb wireless service which was the fastest I could get. Lots of promises of something faster coming "soon". There's always something coming "soon" that never seems to materialize.

Undercapitalized. If you can make a 2Mb microwave shot work, it'll easily do 10. Just have to upgrade the last mile gear and, of course, the backhaul gear and speeds. Even the ancient old Redline backhaul gear would do 45 Mb/s which if you aren't over-subscribing too badly will easily service multiple customers.

Our provider is the "competitor" to another wireless company that a friend built. We've played a lot with the gear. He had the west suburbs and mountain areas, they had the north suburbs and on up into northern Colorado. Both were bought up by Nebraska investors along with a similar group of companies in Texas and all renamed to Rise Broadband.

You need some bored Nebraska investors to buy your provider. Heh. The sale made my friend some decent money too. He got out of the biz. Too many crap weather days climbing towers to restore service. Bought a security alarm company instead.

Since the influx of cash the new company lost all their clueful front line tech support but their field folks are still good and the gear is all continuously but very slowly upgraded.

Currently at 10/2 with a 200 GB cap which isn't bad. Additional bandwidth above 200 GB is charged at $3.50/10 GB which is also pretty fair.

Cellular would work out here on some carriers, but you hit the nail on the head on the cap problem. Can't get anywhere close to 200 GB cap from any of them. Well, Sprint has some rate limited business class stuff that's "unlimited" but is forced to 3G speeds and to get that would be about $120/mo out here plus you'd need to aim a yagi toward one of three far away towers and have a booster on premesis.

There's exactly one tower with the visibility to shoot back into town and hit someplace with big speeds on site, and then shoot to our place. Only the top 15' of it is visible from over the ridgeline.

Problem is, it's run by a local power company and they're not renting space. They don't want anyone on it, which is a shame, because I'd happily go get the backhaul gear and make the shot to town from it and put some panels up there for a competitive service or even a private system, and pay them tower rent to do it. Could even hire bonded and insured climbing crew to install it if that's what they wanted. But their answer is "no", always.

So we use the wireless company and they're hopping through one of the neighbor's houses to the south to get to the best commercial tower site about six miles away.

Will be interesting to see what I can see from the top of my tower once I get it up. There's a chance it could shoot to a mountain site west of Denver. If it could, the service providers have both expressed interest in hanging gear on it, but it's a crank over and I don't think they'll appreciate me taking it down to service the HF antennas. Haha. So I'd have to put up another fixed one next to the fold over.

Undercapitalized. If you can make a 2Mb microwave shot work, it'll easily do 10. Just have to upgrade the last mile gear and, of course, the backhaul gear and speeds. Even the ancient old Redline backhaul gear would do 45 Mb/s which if you aren't over-subscribing too badly will easily service multiple customers.

Our provider is the "competitor" to another wireless company that a friend built. We've played a lot with the gear. He had the west suburbs and mountain areas, they had the north suburbs and on up into northern Colorado. Both were bought up by Nebraska investors along with a similar group of companies in Texas and all renamed to Rise Broadband.

You need some bored Nebraska investors to buy your provider. Heh. The sale made my friend some decent money too. He got out of the biz. Too many crap weather days climbing towers to restore service. Bought a security alarm company instead.

Since the influx of cash the new company lost all their clueful front line tech support but their field folks are still good and the gear is all continuously but very slowly upgraded.

Currently at 10/2 with a 200 GB cap which isn't bad. Additional bandwidth above 200 GB is charged at $3.50/10 GB which is also pretty fair.

Cellular would work out here on some carriers, but you hit the nail on the head on the cap problem. Can't get anywhere close to 200 GB cap from any of them. Well, Sprint has some rate limited business class stuff that's "unlimited" but is forced to 3G speeds and to get that would be about $120/mo out here plus you'd need to aim a yagi toward one of three far away towers and have a booster on premesis.

There's exactly one tower with the visibility to shoot back into town and hit someplace with big speeds on site, and then shoot to our place. Only the top 15' of it is visible from over the ridgeline.

Problem is, it's run by a local power company and they're not renting space. They don't want anyone on it, which is a shame, because I'd happily go get the backhaul gear and make the shot to town from it and put some panels up there for a competitive service or even a private system, and pay them tower rent to do it. Could even hire bonded and insured climbing crew to install it if that's what they wanted. But their answer is "no", always.

So we use the wireless company and they're hopping through one of the neighbor's houses to the south to get to the best commercial tower site about six miles away.

Will be interesting to see what I can see from the top of my tower once I get it up. There's a chance it could shoot to a mountain site west of Denver. If it could, the service providers have both expressed interest in hanging gear on it, but it's a crank over and I don't think they'll appreciate me taking it down to service the HF antennas. Haha. So I'd have to put up another fixed one next to the fold over.

I think it's a good business to get into, Nate. I used to set up stationary EVDO and EDGE systems back in the day, before even DSL was available to the affluent but sparsely-populated communities in Long Island's North Shore. They had money for Yagis, boosters, and even towers if needed, and they were happy to get even EDGE speed. With modern capabilities, I think a well-run, dedicated 4G Internet company with fair prices and realistic caps could make some money.

Sparrow Fart Telecom just increased my speed to 60 / 6 as a consolation for a general price increase, but on a good day I can get faster speeds from AT&T's LTE tower maybe three miles away than I can from cable. The capabilities are definitely there; and for areas with no or only one broadband provider, I think there's money to be made.

Rich

Last edited:
I think it's a good business to get into, Nate. I used to set up stationary EVDO and EDGE systems back in the day, before even DSL was available to the affluent but sparsely-populated communities in Long Island's North Shore. They had money for Yagis, boosters, and even towers if needed, and they were happy to get even EDGE speed. With modern capabilities, I think a well-run, dedicated 4G Internet company with fair prices and realistic caps could make some money.

Sparrow Fart Telecom just increased my speed to 60 / 6 as a consolation for a general price increase, but on a good day I can get faster speeds from AT&T's LTE tower maybe three miles away than I can from cable. The capabilities are definitely there; and for areas with no or only one broadband provider, I think there's money to be made.

Rich

I agree, but technically our 'hood is all covered by two WISPs. We just live on the back side of the hill which makes our shots a little harder than the more dense front side of the neighborhood. And that whole lack of a good tower site thing...

A friend 7.5 miles north (over another ridge line) has been the same company's tower site for five years or so... He's got three fixed towers up. (He's more into HF contesting and operating than I am! He fabricated his own 30M yagi for working Asia, he loves Japanese CW operators...) Two 100' and one 80', and the WISP has 45mb/s to his tower. They made him a deal long ago that they'd QoS the whole thing and he'd get whatever was left over from the paying customers, so mid-day, he's cranking away at 45mb/s when no one in his neighborhood is home. He also had to make as part of the deal that he would maintain backup power for the site, so he did the whole house generator / propane tank thing, so the tower service wouldn't drop during power outages.

There's rumor that the County is grumpy about lost commercial revenue on these " hop sites " and won't permit towers for only that purpose, but us Hams have "other reasons" to have the towers so the data stuff can ride along and fly under the radar a bit. That and houses high on hills... The WISPs just mount all the stuff directly on the house and pay the homeowner for the "damage" or make them other deals, like the one the friend north of me has. Free service. Stuff like that.

What all of these WISPs need is good tech support folks who like doing it, and know their stuff... But they don't pay enough. I know the young kid I was talking to was trying to comprehend the routing problem I was describing to him a couple of months ago, but he really didn't get it. He did however have the keys to the kingdom and could remotely power cycle the upstream device the next hop in from mine, and since they use OSPF, I knew that'd straighten it all out. Haha. Boot it! Voila... Routing is sane again... Haha.

I don't know much at all about IT, but we had new fiber cable installed at out house that was advertised to deliver "up to" 50mbps. I rarely get over 5-6 mbps. New cable, new router, almost new fairly high performance computer. Sucks.

I don't know much at all about IT, but we had new fiber cable installed at out house that was advertised to deliver "up to" 50mbps. I rarely get over 5-6 mbps. New cable, new router, almost new fairly high performance computer. Sucks.

If you're paying for 50, I'd be all over their asses to fix that or prove it's working and something is wrong in your gear.

Last edited:
If you're paying for 50, I'd be all over their asses to fix that or prove its working and something is wrong in your gear.

Yeah, getting only 10 percent of provisioned throughput is pretty lame.

Rich

Not slow for me. 1GB down is there if I want to pay for it.

Question is how much speed does one really need? I have 50MB down and every device I have is quick.

Back