Why is the door on the right?

The door is on the right side so that on the PP checkride after the pilot-candidate and the CFI are all strapped in, the pilot-candidate can have a silent meltdown when he realizes he forgot the chocks.

The door is on the right side so that on the PP checkride after the pilot-candidate and the CFI are all strapped in, the pilot-candidate can have a silent meltdown when he realizes he forgot the chocks.

WINNER:goofy:

Well I didn't expect to learn about maritime history with this question, but that was pretty interesting...

Well I didn't expect to learn about maritime history with this question, but that was pretty interesting...

Yeah, if you watch old movies 40's, 50's they often refer to airplanes as "ships" which you rarely hear anymore. Also, most Pipers, and Cessnas fly like they have anchors, and/or "ballast", so it does fit.

:D

Is this the voice of experience speaking? :rolleyes:

Is this the voice of experience speaking? :rolleyes:

uhh - it was a guy I know.

--

Actually, yeah, that happened.

The ramp at that particular FBO has a very slight incline to it. It wasn't unusual for a plane to start rolling slowly if you removed the chocks. So, my procedure was to pull the chocks just before I climbed in, rather than during the preflight walkaround. That particular time, and it only happened that time!!! I was nervous because of the whole checkride experience. I climbed in, the DPE followed, we got our preflight briefing finished, and I started through the pre-start checklist. Got to item 1 - make sure chocks are removed. I nearly crapped my drawers. I just said "Oh, no", and dropped my chin to my chest, shaking my head. I had to fess up to the DPE who took it pretty well. He chuckled, said something about not worrying about it, told me to relax, said something else about good CRM, then he climbed back out and took care of it.

No problem - I ended up passing and all was well. And I've never forgotten the chocks since.

I think you demonstrated good use of the checklist and integrity to fess up.

Back