Why is it called crabbing into the wind?

mjburian

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Marty
I had a non-pilot ask me this today and the best I could offer was that maybe it has to do with how crabs walk? (I know nothing about crabs, other than their legs are pretty delicious.)

Any idea how this saying came to be?

the best I could offer was that maybe it has to do with how crabs walk? (I know nothing about crabs, other than their legs are pretty delicious.)
Yup, and like many other things, the term was originally used in the maritime world to describe working a vessel sideways against the current.

2syuwnn.gif

Orville had the crabs, so beings they were supposedly the first to fly, they get credit for crabbing. It's there in that book somewhere...

I had a non-pilot ask me this today and the best I could offer was that maybe it has to do with how crabs walk? (I know nothing about crabs, other than their legs are pretty delicious.)

Any idea how this saying came to be?

duh....

I got the crabs when I was 17. I don't remember it being windy.

Oh, dang, what is thread about.

I got the crabs when I was 17. I don't remember it being windy.

Oh, dang, what is thread about.

I can't believe it took 17 posts for a response like this. If I'm honest, I'm a little disappointed in you guys...

I can't believe it took 17 posts for a response like this. If I'm honest, I'm a little disappointed in you guys...

I beat that in #10! Orville had the crabs. And he invented flying, so they like us to think.

I beat that in #10! Orville had the crabs. And he invented flying, so they like us to think.

Ah crap, I missed that. I thought you were talking about him having pets. But still... 10 posts? That's at least 7 more than I expected it to take.

Back