Why I'm not home yet...

poadeleted20

Deleted
If anyone’s watching Flightaware and wondering why N22RL is sitting at KZZV tonight with “Delayed” next to it instead of being at KSBY, take a look at the weather along that cold front stretching from central NY down the Appalachians into North Carolina. :eek:

Anybody know what there is to do in Zanesville OH on a Sunday night?

BTW, the NASCAR race last night in Chicago was a blast!

RBL that weather was just here. It took down a lot of trees, but this time thankfully not the power lines.

What to do in ZZV? Get a car and drive to Columbus? :rolleyes:

Not much in ZZV at all..... really.

I'm currently sitting at home whilst the lightning and rain show is going on outside. Really heavy stuff.

It's part of the reason I was flying the Frasca today instead of 112LB.

All I ever did at ZZV was pee and get fuel. I had meant to do some lunch but there were big t-storms coming in from the north so I landed, did my stuff and geto out of there ASAP.

Things about ZZV learned so far...

First, Zanesville Aviation is super -- drove us down to Denny's for lunch, picked us up and brought us back to the airport, and then when we gave up, drove us to the Best Western for the night.

Second, the Denny's in ZZV (1.25 miles from the FBO) is a really neat retro 1950's diner decor -- doesn't look like Denny's at all except for the logos. The weird thing is the Muzak was all 70's, mostly disco -- go figure. My mind has trouble grokking KC and the Sunshine band while sitting in a red/white vinyl booth and looking at a picture of a '56 Chevy convertible. Maybe worth a fly-in for lunch.

That's a pretty nice red wall of wx. Sure you couldn't take a short hop to a more happening place, like, maybe, Akron?:D

That's a pretty nice red wall of wx. Sure you couldn't take a short hop to a more happening place, like, maybe, Akron?:D

Akron has Goodyear blimps!

Ron -- you couldn't push on to at Least AGC?

I'm flying down your way Monday AM -- EZF for a meeting.

Looks like a beautiful morning to fly.

Last edited:
That front was coming into Omaha the other night just as my United flight did too; listening to Ch. 9, a Queenair reported severe turbulence ahead of us on the approach. Time to tighten up the seat belt!

It didn't end up that bad for us, but there was a little screaming on board.

You should have stopped in Columbus!

Did you hear the dueling banjo's in Zanesville?! If you do, run!

One time I got stuck in Victorville, California. I got to see the outside of the federal prison where that, "American Taliban" prisoner was living.

one time I got stuck overnight on Diego Garcia with a few other planes - got kicked off the island for swimming in their pool - the fact that is was 0300, we were in skivvies, and the MPs woke up the base CO to report our little party made it interesting ...

"Get off my base at first light and don't come back!" no humor, that guy...

one time I got stuck overnight on Diego Garcia with a few other planes - got kicked off the island for swimming in their pool - the fact that is was 0300, we were in skivvies, and the MPs woke up the base CO to report our little party made it interesting ...

After two weeks of field exercises, my Infantry Soldiers needed some fun...

In the PX one of my soldiers tasked with buying a few cases of Gatorade learned that the Maintenance Company was having a pool party that evening at the base pool. This after about a day in the field.

With that bit of intel, I issued an OPORD for that evening's activities -- after all the vehicles were squared away, we would do some night "training."

One of my Platoon Leaders developed a plan, and at 0100 we "assaulted the objective."

The company officers (I was commander) set up the security cordon and kept a sharp eye out for the roving MPs. Whenever the MP mobile would drive past, we maintained complete security halt. They had no idea what was going on.

Each EM under the rank of E-5 spent about 45 glorious minutes floating in the pool. Skinny-dipping was the order of the day as everyone was still in BDUs and we had a 0415 SP time for the departure Road March.

The next day I learned that the maintenance company's pool party was canceled due to "various floating debris" found in the pool.

The next day I was presented with a trophy -- A Deck Chair from the pool cabana.

It was quickly secured in an undisclosed location.

Got in about 11 am today -- the line dissipated as we flew, and we didn't get more than a brief sprinkle by the time it reached here. Didn't fly through any significant weather at all.

Last edited:
Got in about 11 am today -- the line dissipated as we flew, and we didn't get more than a brief sprinkle by the time it reached here. Didn't fly through any significant weather at all.

I landed at EZF about 10:15 -- reported Ceiling was 7000, but there was a layer of broken just north of the airport with bases about 800', so the GPS24 came in handy...

It was spectacular in Pittsburgh area this AM -- SKC, low humidity, and high in the 70s forecast.

If anyone’s watching Flightaware and wondering why N22RL is sitting at KZZV tonight with “Delayed” next to it instead of being at KSBY, take a look at the weather along that cold front stretching from central NY down the Appalachians into North Carolina. :eek:

Anybody know what there is to do in Zanesville OH on a Sunday night?

BTW, the NASCAR race last night in Chicago was a blast!
One wintry day, we landed at ZZY with ice dripping off the wings. Pushed Romeo into the hangar for a comfy overnight and hopped a ride to the Interstate where the motels (both of them) are for our overnight. Next day, was worse than the day before and Hubby caught a bus home because he had to be at work and it looked like a week or more of blizzard-type weather. During breaks in the storms, I walked a mile or two in one direction or the other from the motel, and never found anything more entertaining that the model homes they were building in a new subdivision. About a week after landing at ZZY, I was able to get back into the air and headed home. BTW, the people at the FBO are the best. As mentioned, the Denny's is fun.

Diego Garcia is a great place to get stuck...although swimming in the ocean with the shark infestation could be a problem

It is by far the most interesting place I've ever flown to.

Diego Garcia is a great place to get stuck...although swimming in the ocean with the shark infestation could be a problem

It is by far the most interesting place I've ever flown to.
Wish I could have seen it in the daylight! :)

Back