Why I'll probably never get my commercial.

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Anyone else find it a problem to rent another plane when you own one? I mean, nearly the only difference between my Cherokee and an Arrow is 2 levers. Gear and prop. Oh, and I get a MP gauge too. 2 levers and a gauge difference. Of course, I have to rent an Arrow at $100/hour, where it only costs me $35/hour to put fuel in mine. I've already paid for hangar and insurance whether I fly it or not, so my immediate costs are $65 more per hour with renting. I can buy almost 20 hours of fuel for the rental costs alone. 20 hours of flying versus 10. Not including the instructor at $35 a pop. That's another 10 hours of fuel. 30 hours of flying vs 10.

- forever ASEL.

N2212R said:
Anyone else find it a problem to rent another plane when you own one? I mean, nearly the only difference between my Cherokee and an Arrow is 2 levers. Gear and prop. Oh, and I get a MP gauge too. 2 levers and a gauge difference. Of course, I have to rent an Arrow at $100/hour, where it only costs me $35/hour to put fuel in mine. I've already paid for hangar and insurance whether I fly it or not, so my immediate costs are $65 more per hour with renting. I can buy almost 20 hours of fuel for the rental costs alone. 20 hours of flying versus 10. Not including the instructor at $35 a pop. That's another 10 hours of fuel. 30 hours of flying vs 10.

- forever ASEL.

You could buy an arrow. I only rent when I am away form my plane and need to fly. This is when I am in Florida and want to visit relatives around the state. But I do groan about the cost when I do rent.

ed, the only reasonable solution would be to sell the cherokee and buy an arrow :)

All that extra maintenance for a measly 7 knots?? No thanks. Plus, did ya see the SB that came out?

N2212R said:
All that extra maintenance for a measly 7 knots?? No thanks. Plus, did ya see the SB that came out?

SB?

When I did my commercial at GATTS I got to fly my own plane for all but the required landings - they had a rental arrow that I used to do the landings only. For the exam I flew the Arrow to do the landings then switched planes to do the manouevers.

Ed,

Most of your commercial can be done in your plane. Only a portion (and I don't have the list handy) must be done in a complex.

So while I understand the frustration it's not as bad as all that.

Joe

ps. don't forget to count maintenance reserves in the cost to fly your plane.

I still need minimum of 10 hours of training in a complex aircraft.

I feel your pain. I was ready for a commercial checkride when my Lance sold and I bought the Citabria. Then some time went by and so I brushed up in a rental Arrow. My checkride was scheduled, but then I went to Wisconsin for three months. Came back, some time passed, I brushed up on it again and scheduled the checkride, but we were relocating and my house sold with an impossibly short close date, so I had to cancel the ride. Now my written has expired. All that for a couple words on my certificate? Not worth it, as I had/have no intention of getting paid to fly.

Isn't there any insurance reduction if you have the commercial?

deafsound said:
Isn't there any insurance reduction if you have the commercial?
With some companies there is. But Ed, you need to sell the Cherokee 180 and get a Mooney. That's no measly 7 Knots. That's 27 knots. :goofy: You're ready.....

bbchien said:
With some companies there is. But Ed, you need to sell the Cherokee 180 and get a Mooney. That's no measly 7 Knots. That's 27 knots. :goofy: You're ready.....

If only they were about 3" wider. My left elbow gets pushed into my side when sitting in it.

Last edited:
N2212R said:
If only they were about 3" wider. My left elbow gets pushed into my side when sitting in it.

Ed, Bring a tape measure to Gastons. I'll betcha a beer (or two if you like :D ) that there's no 3" difference between a Cherokee/Arrow and a Mooney at your elbow level.

Lance F said:
Ed, Bring a tape measure to Gastons. I'll betcha a beer (or two if you like :D ) that there's no 3" difference between a Cherokee/Arrow and a Mooney at your elbow level.

I want to see that measure-off, too; I had always heard "Mooneys are tiny," and have since heard tell that they really aren't.

My wife heard that "Mooneys are tiny," and that's why she only wants me looking at Bonanzas.

Debunk that as myth, and my airplane options just got a lot broader (and faster and cheaper)!

Me, I'd dearly love to have a 231, or (for the price of a nice F33) a 252.

Fast is Good. Fast and efficient, better. Fast and efficient live together, and they call Kerrvillle, "home."

SCCutler said:

Fast is Good. Fast and efficient, better. Fast and efficient live together, and they call Kerrvillle, "home."

Gee, Spike, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel about Mooneys. :rolleyes:

All I know is when I sat in a C model I was pushed against the left side, and my elbow was tight against my ribs. My Cherokee is not like that.

SCCutler said:
Spike, you do NOT want a 231. Very finicky engine. Just say no. The 252 is a much, much better airplane. If you don't have the coin for a 252, just get a 201. You know what they say about the 231 ... speed of a 201 with the cost of a 252.

Best Mooney, IMO, is the Ovation with weeping wing KI.

C's feel tight. The longer body planes such as the 201's feel much better inside. For some reason I have been on a whole bunch of trips in the right seat of 201's and 252's, Longest being 4 hours. It didn't feel any worse than the 172 I normally fly after a few hours. Sit in one long enough to get airborne and the plane feels just like any other.
Mooney's grow on you.

N2212R said:
All I know is when I sat in a C model I was pushed against the left side, and my elbow was tight against my ribs. My Cherokee is not like that.
Gotta do it in an "F" or "J" where there's enough seat track to push back a bit. The cabin is wider just 4" back. Really.

Owned both F and J.

I've been looking at 206s... much wider than 172s. I saw a Baron on the ramp last week and it looked very narrow. I'm a big guy and my wife thinks 172 is WAAY too narrow.

P.S. I liked the CAX rating. Nothing like flying the plane at the edge of the envelope in VFR. I did mine in the 172RG.

N2212R said:

- forever ASEL.

I'd be asking what the purpose of the Commercial was really to be for a given pilot. If the correct reasons for the Comm rating are there, then it is easier to watch the mandatory wad of cash in your pocket go flying away.

SCCutler said:
I want to see that measure-off, too; I had always heard "Mooneys are tiny," and have since heard tell that they really aren't.

Mooneys are tiny... if you're riding in the back seat of a short body one and the front seat occupants have "normal length legs". But on an elbow room perspective there's not much difference between Mooney, Bonanza, and 182.

My wife heard that "Mooneys are tiny," and that's why she only wants me looking at Bonanzas.

Well, Bo's aren't all that bad a ride either. You give up a little efficiency for a bit more speed (later models), a better range/payload trade-off, and that nice Beech control feel. Being able to open the engine cowling is quite a plus as well if you're into through preflights or changing your own oil.

So, no bets? Guess I'll have to buy my own beer :( . (or bring it in the Mooney's commodious luggage compartment :D .)

I have a flew thousand hours flying F33s, A36's, and Barons of several different stripes as well as most of the Cessna and Piper singles. I also own a Mooney 252. The width of the airplane (the Mooney) is not an issue for me at all and I'm not a small guy. I routinely fly 4-5 hours at a sitting and am as comfortable in the Mooney as I ever was in any of the Beech airplanes. The Mooney seating position is different from the Beech (more like a sports car than a sedan) but I think that lends itself towards the feeling of performance. I'm probably never going to put four people and stuff in the Mooney but for the 99% of the time it's my wife and me, it's a great fit.

Ken Ibold said:
The 252 is a much, much better airplane.

And priced accordingly! :hairraise:

But I agree, go all the way or stick to the 201.

Specs say the F model cruises at 154, the J models at 170. Hmmmm....maybe in a couple years. Unless this year brings a bigger than expected bonus.

N2212R said:

Man, you either got an extremely fast Cherokee 180 or have been hanging around with some extremely slow Arrows.

My 180 will easily turn in book performance of 123kts, but I've flown in a friend's Arrow 180 that has 20 kts on it and burns less gas to do it.

larrysb said:
Man, you either got an extremely fast Cherokee 180 or have been hanging around with some extremely slow Arrows.

My 180 will easily turn in book performance of 123kts,

I get that on my 160hp Warrior with 7.9gph burn

larrysb said:

My 180 will easily turn in book performance of 123kts, but I've flown in a friend's Arrow 180 that has 20 kts on it and burns less gas to do it.

Does he have LASAR, Larry?

Back