Why I love my plane - # 37

ErikU

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ErikU
My Bonanza can easily take me to visit my clients landing at the major airports in style. It can also take me to some really neat places on a whim for fun.

There isn't anything airport like about the Copalis airport on the Washington coast. It is an official state airport (which keeps insurance companies happy), but the beach landing seems very "off airport". As far as I know, it's the only beach in the lower 48 where you can land a plane.

You land on a public beach, taking your best educated guess as to what defines the "runway", watching out for other beach goers and the occasional car. A low pass will sometimes clear the beach. There aren't any facilities, or anything else that would make it seem an airport. Often the landing comes as a complete surprise to those on the beach. You exit your plane literally just steps from the water.

The bonanza handles the sand great, even when loaded up with family and a friend. I can't think of any other plane that would be so well suited to both uses!

Sorry I forgot to bring my camera,.. the cell phone photos will have to do.

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 57
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 87
I love your plane, too!

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

With all the stuff going on in the country this does restore my faith in GA,,,

Kinda.

Ben.

It's a neat place. You land and taxi on the damp sand, staying away from the dry stuff. After landing, you have to push the plane back as the tide comes in, and toward the water when the tide goes out.

I've flown over it a few times, but club rules require paved runways only. It is the only charted airport on a beach. Some neighbors are trying to have is closed. I have (and I hope many others have) contacted the state opposing such a move. It is unique. Where else can you find a self repairing runway? :D

Very cool!

My Tiger would need the entire west coast if I tried that.

:smilewinkgrin:

Back